gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
it is reported that Cricket Australia and AFL are clashing over the MCG in 2016, with Cricket Australia wanting to play the Sheffield Shield Final on the Easter long weekend, which is expected week AFL is to open the season. Due to contractual obligations would mean MCG and most likely Gabba, Adelaide Oval and SCG will be unavailable. Vic Premier Dan Andrews has said to both parties to sort it out as wont interfere with decision.

This issue would spoil a lot of plans for AFL schedules. Some being
1 Easter Monday clash between Cats and Hawks won't be able to be played
2 Traditional Tigers Blues opener will most likely get pushed back or moved to smaller venue
3 Only few grounds available in Vic, fans might have to travel interstate to Tassie or elsewhere to see Melbourne based team home game
4 Adelaide Oval issues
5 Good Friday will be in doubt in 2016

Should Cricket Australia back off and schedule its final a week earlier
or should AFl start a week later
or should Dan Andrews make a call

Cricket has the MCG until the last weekend in march, has been for sometime.

Although i agree with the the above poster that the WACA will be hosting a final next year !

Ha. This is the A-League/AFL bust-up all over again, just with the AFL holding all the crap cards.

A contract is a contract. What does it say in there?

I think still in process but on AFL new app. I think Cricket is in the wrong, they have all summer to get a good schedule together and there shouldn't be an issue starting the Sheffield Cup a week earlier. I love cricket but think they are over stepping their boundaries here. Fair enough World Cup but not on this Occassion

Cricket has the MCG until the last weekend in march, has been for sometime.

Although i agree with the the above poster that the WACA will be hosting a final next year !

But it's how it is, if final is being played they need access to all grounds for every scenario

I think still in process but on AFL new app. I think Cricket is in the wrong, they have all summer to get a good schedule together and there shouldn't be an issue starting the Sheffield Cup a week earlier. I love cricket but think they are over stepping their boundaries here. Fair enough World Cup but not on this Occassion

Did you read any of the articles before you posted this? Cricket has the rights to the grounds on those dates.

This is a joke. Even if VIC reached the final of the Sheffield Shield Cup the maximum crowd would be, what, 2,500? It simply is not deserving and the AFL needs to pull rank.....NOW!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cricket and Soccer can **** off.

Actually in this case the AFL can **** off.

It is only by the good graces of cricket that football is entitled to use the MCG (and other grounds) prior to April 1.

The bigger wank is the AFL refusing to use Etihad stadium for the launch of the AFL season. The whole "mcg vibe" is a load of wank.

If the AFL want to start a season the week before - utilise Etihad, KP, Metricon, Canberra, Subi and Launceston

Thursday Night - ES
Sat - Canberra, ES, Launceston, KP
Sun - ES, Metricon, Subi
Mon - ES

Ha. This is the A-League/AFL bust-up all over again, just with the AFL holding all the crap cards.

A contract is a contract. What does it say in there?
I was going to say pretty much the exact same thing!

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Actually in this case the AFL can **** off.

It is only by the good graces of cricket that football is entitled to use the MCG (and other grounds) prior to April 1.

The bigger wank is the AFL refusing to use Etihad stadium for the launch of the AFL season. The whole "mcg vibe" is a load of wank.

If the AFL want to start a season the week before - utilise Etihad, KP, Metricon, Canberra, Subi and Launceston

Thursday Night - ES
Sat - Canberra, ES, Launceston, KP
Sun - ES, Metricon, Subi
Mon - ES
Yeah I've learned that now :p

Cricket is 100% within their rights to have the grounds for as long as they need them, that's the contract.

AFL needs to work around it, use alternative venues or just start later.
Contractually, yes. But morally, no. The MCG holds 100,000. CA does not need a stadium so big for what is an unimportant sports event*

* based on crowd attendance

Contractually, yes. But morally, no. The MCG holds 100,000. CA does not need a stadium so big for what is an unimportant sports event*

Tell that to the players that earn the right to play in the final. It is more than important leading up to the test matches in the next season.

So then, why doesn't the AFL hand Etihad stadium to the almost guaranteed much larger drawing (potential) A-League Grand Final and reschedule it's WB Vs Freo match?

Moral obligations work both ways, I would have though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back