Cricket Australia & AFL Clash 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Cricket Australia really does not need the MCG for a domestic game. There is no way they will even get 1/5th of the stadium filled up.

Not the point. Bushrangers if they make the final earn the right to play at the MCG.

Did you read any of the articles before you posted this? Cricket has the rights to the grounds on those dates.

Didn't make mention of it, your probably right about that though. It just made mention of CA wanting and planning, nothing yet confirming
Junction Oval if ready to go by then won't really be an issue

Can we get the OP updated with an article and the relavent info?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...r-easter-in-2016/story-fnp04d70-1227343965150

"Cricket has rights to the MCG, the SCG, Adelaide Oval and The Gabba until March 31 each year, but has traditionally ceded the final weekend of the month to football."
"However, the last weekend in March in 2016 falls relatively early and coincides with Easter, from Thursday March 24 to Monday March 28."
"“Although the 2015-16 summer schedule has yet to be finalised and released, it is expected that the Shield final will fall on the Easter long weekend next year,” a Cricket Australia spokesman said"

It looks like cricket has the upper hand so AFL have to compensate them to move their dates, or schedule around it.

So then, why doesn't the AFL hand Etihad stadium to the almost guaranteed much larger drawing (potential) A-League Grand Final and reschedule it's WB Vs Freo match?

Moral obligations work both ways, I would have though.

Maybe because you gave nowhere near enough notice and you keep changing your mind! At least this time the date is set, and CA won't change it halfway through the year thinking 'oh bugger it is not that date'

Actually in this case the AFL can **** off.

It is only by the good graces of cricket that football is entitled to use the MCG (and other grounds) prior to April 1.

The bigger wank is the AFL refusing to use Etihad stadium for the launch of the AFL season. The whole "mcg vibe" is a load of wank.

If the AFL want to start a season the week before - utilise Etihad, KP, Metricon, Canberra, Subi and Launceston

Thursday Night - ES
Sat - Canberra, ES, Launceston, KP
Sun - ES, Metricon, Subi
Mon - ES
I know it is as you say "only by the good graces of cricket that football is entitled to use the MCG (and other grounds) prior to April 1. The real question is who pays to keep the MCG in the "manner" to which it has become accustomed? Not CA. This is such an inane argument, really. AFL can guarantee collective crowds of, what, 300,000 for R1 games at the MCG. A Sheffield Shield final will attract, what, 10,000 maximum.

They never play the final on the last weekend in March, normally it's the weekend before or even mid March.
So they want it because it's Easter? They think that will make it popular? Lol.

Half the reason they want it finishing later is that the good players (test players) could be available I would guess. That actually makes sense. March is still basically summer anyway.

I know it is as you say "only by the good graces of cricket that football is entitled to use the MCG (and other grounds) prior to April 1. The real question is who pays to keep the MCG in the "manner" to which it has become accustomed? Not CA. This is such an inane argument, really. AFL can guarantee collective crowds of, what, 300,000 for R1 games at the MCG. A Sheffield Shield final will attract, what, 10,000 maximum.
Actually the MCC and Victorian Government are responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the MCG, not the AFL.

The potential attendance or "importance" of the game is immaterial, a contract is a contract.

Round 1 in the AFL can happen a week later and have the same crowds, no big deal.

Whilst I agree that CA don't need the mcg for the shield, I don't think there is an issue for the afl

Why do the big teams require home games in week one?
Spread the love

Send the Hawks up to Brisbane for example(haven't played there in years), and I'm sure other clubs haven't had home games against some

A truely big blockbuster will draw a crowd, regardless of round
All this might mean, is less double up games between big 4 clubs (where the second game is often 15k+ less)

So, if you have a nice car, but I can drive it better than you, you will give me the car?

I'd be annoyed if say
Easter Monday game couldn't be played between Cats and Hawks or moved to smaller venue
Season Opener and Good Friday being postponed again as would be special occasion

Whilst I agree that CA don't need the mcg for the shield, I don't think there is an issue for the afl

Spread the love

Send the Hawks up to Brisbane for example(haven't played there in years), and I'm sure other clubs haven't had home games against some

All this might mean, is less double up games between big 4 clubs (where the second game is often 15k+ less)

They should take the opportunity to do something interesting, like Doggies v Giants for season launch. Or any of a number of less exposed teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spread the love

Exactly, it isn't ideal but you could easily have: ANZ, Ethiad, Spotless, Auora, Subi (have 2 games there), etc.

I'd be annoyed if say
Easter Monday game couldn't be played between Cats and Hawks or moved to smaller venue
Season Opener and Good Friday being postponed again as would be special occasion

Spread the opening rounds around, who cares if it is Easter Monday. Round 1 will draw a crowd whether it is in Alice Springs or the MCG. Why not have round 1 in round 2. What is the big deal. Meh, get on with it.

You should go back in time and complain to the people who devised our yearly calendar.

I love both sports, I attend T20, Aussie Tests and ODI matches, not as much Shieffield Shield as the summer goes on, tend to get over after a while. I get excited opening round like most fans do and MCG availabilty would be nice

Who the **** is still in cricket mode at the end of March? CA, Sheffield Shield is not the World Cup...

Cricket fans? The teams in the final? The IPL?

Plenty of people are still in cricket mode.

I love both sports, I attend T20, Aussie Tests and ODI matches, not as much Shieffield Shield as the summer goes on, tend to get over after a while. I get excited opening round like most fans do and MCG availabilty would be nice

You can get excited for round 1 just as much without the MCG. Would it matter if you played at Ethiad? Nope.

Spread the opening rounds around, who cares if it is Easter Monday. Round 1 will draw a crowd whether it is in Alice Springs or the MCG. Why not have round 1 in round 2. What is the big deal. Meh, get on with it.

You can't spread opening Round between
Cats and Hawks elsewhere
or Tigers v Blues, Good Friday you probably would be able to move it but not the first 2 games I mentioned

Am sure if the AFL wants to not hold the Grand Final at the MCG this year in October (which Cricket Australia also has rights to the MCG for this period) that CA will be happy to start their season a week earlier and hold round 1 of the Shield at the G to allow them to have Easter in 2016. Basically the AFL is attacking the Shield season at both ends.

it is reported that Cricket Australia and AFL are clashing over the MCG in 2016, with Cricket Australia wanting to play the Sheffield Shield Final on the Easter long weekend, which is expected week AFL is to open the season. Due to contractual obligations would mean MCG and most likely Gabba, Adelaide Oval and SCG will be unavailable. Vic Premier Dan Andrews has said to both parties to sort it out as wont interfere with decision.

This issue would spoil a lot of plans for AFL schedules. Some being
1 Easter Monday clash between Cats and Hawks won't be able to be played
2 Traditional Tigers Blues opener will most likely get pushed back or moved to smaller venue
3 Only few grounds available in Vic, fans might have to travel interstate to Tassie or elsewhere to see Melbourne based team home game
4 Adelaide Oval issues
5 Good Friday will be in doubt in 2016

Should Cricket Australia back off and schedule its final a week earlier
or should AFl start a week later
or should Dan Andrews make a call
why dont the Hawks play Geelong at etihad. it should be a full house. it would fulfill part of the AFLs contracts with Etihad requiring it to play so many games classed as block busters at the venue

Remove this Banner Ad

Back