Autopsy What have you liked, learnt or hated from Round 7?

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked the fact that Carlton's game came on directly after ours, which I knew would instantly cheer me up from our loss and Roo ending up in hospital with brain scans. It didn't disappoint.

I learnt that Carlton made a big boo-boo letting Betts go.

I hated that head clash that sent Riewoldt to hospital. It was nasty and I'm really glad both seem to have come out of it without any major injuries.

I learned that Hawthorn remain well and truly in the flag race - 2015 doesn't only contain Freo.
Hawks are a but stop start but its early days and they remain the team to beat.
The AFL media is a goldfish bowl and seems to have the collective memory of such. As soon as Freo drop a few games everyone will be fapping about something else. Meanwhile Hawks will keep mostly winning and getting ready for the business end of the year.

Don't feel like I've learned anything this round yet. A bunch of boring, one sided, predictable games other than Friday night.

What I liked was going to the WAFL yesterday, watching the game at an old suburban venue without any match day entertainment, where you could read a paper in peace between quarters or wander out to the middle and stand around the huddle.

Malthouse is getting extended games out of some unjustified romance from Carlton's board. It's a bit like the end of Pontings career for Australia in the test match side - was getting games solely off the back of his glory days and past achievements.

Carlton won't sack mick before the end of the season.

I've learned that Darcy is an even poorer play-by-play commentator than he is a "special comments" commentator. I liked the game of Billy Hartung yesterday afternoon at the MCG. I hated the fact that Hawthorn-Melbourne is one of only two games this season played by Hawthorn at the traditional Saturday afternoon time-slot.

Last edited:
Liked: Essendon going more direct.

Hated: Umpiring in the second quarter of the Essendon/North Game. Worst I have seen in a long time. Bad enough that other teams fans had to comment.

Learned: Some of our youth is going to be good but we still have too many players of the same speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I learned that I am capable of feeling sorry for a group of people I had always believed were a sympathy free zone. Carlton supporters. For anyone old enough to have experienced the unbearable arrogance of the Carlton FC and its fans during a period of success ( we haven't all died off yet ) their extended run of crapness since 2001 has been something to enjoy immensely. This current lot are the worst Carlton team I have ever seen and the sight of a broken Malthouse should be something to celebrate and yet I feel only a slight tinge of happiness. Not even Mark Marclure and his weekly, usually uninformed, hatched job on his old club can lift my spirits. I worked it out yesterday.I actually feel for the Blues supporters! There have been seven rounds played and the club is shot to peices with little or no prospect of improvement, a dreadful list that will take years to rebuild and a grumpy old coach who thinks that modern coaching methods, employed by every other coach in he AFL ( including Clarko, Longmire,Lyon and Kenny H ) are are waste of time. Worst of all is the fact that we haven't even reached Winter yet and there are 15 more of these games to go. A dreadful, dire footy season will drag on, and on, and the media will hound the club over and over until they break and fire someone. It's a nightmarish scenario that confronts those fans of the CFC. They have my unqualified sympathy.

Learned: That the game of AFL is about only some of the sides ... that some sides are unmentionable. I learned that if two players are out of the game for a Vic side then this is all that matters ... it should never be said that the non-Vic side also has two players injured and out of the game. I learned that a knock to the head of a player from a Vic side is huge news but the fact that the exact same clash-of-heads incident knocked out a player from a non-Vic side is of no note whatsoever. Neither is it barely worthy of mention if a player from a non-Vic side suffers a probable season-ending knee injury (if at the same time a player from a Vic side has a sore head). I learned that a player from a non-Vic side can take mark of the year in the goal-square and the only thing worthy of comment is to question if that player held the mark all the way to the ground (which he did). I learned that a player can hold a mark all the way to the ground but spill it after that point and it is not a mark if the player is from a non-Vic side and was low to the ground. I learned that a player from a Vic side can earn a 50m penalty and goal for his team by smothering the ball when a player from a non-Vic side tries to return it. And finally I learned that if one player has his head over a ground ball and runs into and head-buts a stationary opponent, then that is a free kick for "head high tackle" if the stationary player is from a non-Vic side, but it is "ducked head play on" if the stationary player is from a Vic club.

Learned: That the game of AFL is about only some of the sides ... that some sides are unmentionable. I learned that if two players are out of the game for a Vic side then this is all that matters ... it should never be said that the non-Vic side also has two players injured and out of the game. I learned that a knock to the head of a player from a Vic side is huge news but the fact that the exact same clash-of-heads incident knocked out a player from a non-Vic side is of no note whatsoever. Neither is it barely worthy of mention if a player from a non-Vic side suffers a probable season-ending knee injury (if at the same time a player from a Vic side has a sore head). I learned that a player from a non-Vic side can take mark of the year in the goal-square and the only thing worthy of comment is to question if that player held the mark all the way to the ground (which he did). I learned that a player can hold a mark all the way to the ground but spill it after that point and it is not a mark if the player is from a non-Vic side and was low to the ground. I learned that a player from a Vic side can earn a 50m penalty and goal for his team by smothering the ball when a player from a non-Vic side tries to return it. And finally I learned that if one player has his head over a ground ball and runs into and head-buts a stationary opponent, then that is a free kick for "head high tackle" if the stationary player is from a non-Vic side, but it is "ducked head play on" if the stationary player is from a Vic club.
well i'm not a victorian but i noticed the commentators raving about an experienced campaigner kicking his fifth goal for a dominating team like it was a feat worthy of renaming a stadium corner, whilst a young up and comer, in a beaten team, kicked his fifth to muted praise.

I learned that Carlton are really THAT bad.
stems from Fevola.

Fevola was the 2000s gary ablett snr.

They couldnt control him or help him showing how weak they are ... and its been downhill from there. Not sure what or how but fevola issues, getting judd and malthouse trying to plaster up problems without drafting properly has killed them. They shouldve helped fev, kept kennedy and built a team rather than hust throwing money at judd and malti. Who then got thomas and threw out betts.

Disaster and it will be years before the blues are anyway near it. Tough decisions need to happen now.

Money cant buy you flags anymore carlton get with the time. Stuck in 70s they are.

LIKED: Bruce and saints fighting on when crows got run on and we had rooey monty gears not on the ground. Had we kicked stright couldve even won the game. We are looking good for the future.

HATED: 50m penalties and perception of high tackles. Umps called high tackles cost saints 3 goals. 2 in 2 minutes. Arm brushed high as they were Tackling legally.

Change 50m it to 15m. Where do they get 50m from??? 15m is minimum mark and run wout bounce distance.
There were 8 or 9 50m penalties saints crows game.

Last edited:
well i'm not a victorian but i noticed the commentators raving about an experienced campaigner kicking his fifth goal for a dominating team like it was a feat worthy of renaming a stadium corner, whilst a young up and comer, in a beaten team, kicked his fifth to muted praise.

The commentary was utterly woeful from any perspective ... but it was a game where 4th were playing 14th and it was an Adelaide home game with more than 90% of the crowd cheering for the finals contender ... and 90% of the woeful commentary was about the bottom 6 Vic side.

I don't deny that the 10% of the commentary that was about the top 4 non-Vic home side side was equally woeful.

Liked: Hawthorn's win by over 100 points, these don't happen every week.
The Brisbane boys belting out the song, plenty of gusto. Good to see a team enjoying a win.

Hated: Commentary teams barracking. In particular, Ch 7 getting loud & excited for every little thing that Essendon did & sounding dull & monotone for anything North did.
Also not liking so many past players commentating games of their old team. It's too matey & "old boys club".

Learned: The topsy turvy season continues with more upsets.

The paranoia is strong in this one.

Try being a supporter of one of the aforementioned small Victorian clubs. Then get back to us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back