Autopsy What have you liked, learnt or hated from Round 7?

Remove this Banner Ad

The paranoia is strong in this one.

If a non-Vic side was awarded a 50m penalty and a gimme goal against a Vic side because the ball was not returned on the full after a free to the non-Vic side, and this was because a player from the non-Vic side smothered the ball, you can bet your last dollar that the TV commentary would have been all over it like a rash. We would be in a "smothergate" thread right now.

Try being a supporter of one of the aforementioned small Victorian clubs. Then get back to us.

The thing is the club I support is actually in the top 4 right now, and it is by no means a small club, it actually has a very respectable following and over 60,000 members this year. From the attention it gets on the TV commentary one would never guess this fact.

This is NOT paranoia on my part, this is just incredibly poor catering to their actual real-world audience on the part of the TV stations and the AFL executive.

Regardless of your condescension on this matter I have a perfect right to point it out.

Last edited:
Liked - Fighting out the game against the Crows despite losing Lonie and Riewoldt before quarter time and being a man down, Bruce continuing his charge for the Coleman with 5 goals, Brion the Lion inspiring Brisbane to an upset win over Port.

Learnt - Riewoldt is still crucial to our structure, when he went off that was the end of our hopes of another upset. Deledio makes Richmond a much better team. The Collingwood hype was premature, they aren't a finals quality side and Port are looking like Adelaide of 2013 by dropping off after making a prelim the previous year, hopefully they can turn it around and play finals again as they are great side to watch when they are at the top of their game.

Hated - The Riewoldt collision, he's had a few bad head knocks and that stuff can be career ending as we saw with Jono Brown, hopefully he recovers OK.

Learned: That the game of AFL is about only some of the sides ... that some sides are unmentionable. I learned that if two players are out of the game for a Vic side then this is all that matters ... it should never be said that the non-Vic side also has two players injured and out of the game. I learned that a knock to the head of a player from a Vic side is huge news but the fact that the exact same clash-of-heads incident knocked out a player from a non-Vic side is of no note whatsoever. Neither is it barely worthy of mention if a player from a non-Vic side suffers a probable season-ending knee injury (if at the same time a player from a Vic side has a sore head). I learned that a player from a non-Vic side can take mark of the year in the goal-square and the only thing worthy of comment is to question if that player held the mark all the way to the ground (which he did). I learned that a player can hold a mark all the way to the ground but spill it after that point and it is not a mark if the player is from a non-Vic side and was low to the ground. I learned that a player from a Vic side can earn a 50m penalty and goal for his team by smothering the ball when a player from a non-Vic side tries to return it. And finally I learned that if one player has his head over a ground ball and runs into and head-buts a stationary opponent, then that is a free kick for "head high tackle" if the stationary player is from a non-Vic side, but it is "ducked head play on" if the stationary player is from a Vic club.

Riewoldt is one of the biggest stars of the game so of course it was going to be bigger news about him being knocked out than Brodie Smith who no one would know outside of Adelaide, if Dangerfield or Tex Walker were knocked out that would've been huge news too.

Adelaide also got their fair share of soft frees so you can't claim Vic bias there, last time I checked we had the most frees against us so far this season.

Liked : Not so many 'White' away strips this weekend. Nth V Ess, Syd V Geel, Rich V Coll, it all looked great on tele.

Learnt: 1) Port have huge issues, something's rotten in Alberton, the power has been switched off and i don't know why?
2) The Cats are middle of the road at best unfortunately.
3) Carlton must explore a return to Princes park, there is no point blaming Malthouse for all of Carlton's ills, many of them began long before he got there.

Hated: Umpiring on Friday night.

Brodie Smith who no one would know outside of Adelaide

Brodie was an AA player last year. Apparently you Victorians can't keep up with this game which we follow. Adds to my point, really.

Adelaide also got their fair share of soft frees so you can't claim Vic bias there

Agreed ... the umpiring was atrocious ... there were indeed a number of terrible decisions that were awarded in favour of Adelaide. The point is that every one of those was replayed a number of times and was a topic of much discussion on the TV commentary. The very worst decision of the day, the absolute uncontested outstanding howler, however, went in favour of St Kilda and resulted in a gimme goal, and was totally ignored by the TV commentary.

As I said, if it had happened the other way around, and the non-Vic side was awarded a BS 50m penalty and a gimme goal because a non-Vic player smothered the handball when a Vic player was returning the ball after a free then there would be half-a-dozen threads on the front page of BigFooty and the servers would be in a "smothergate" meltdown right now.

Last edited:
Brodie was an AA player last year. Apparently you Victorians can't keep up with this game which we follow. Adds to my point, really.

I'm actually a West Australian but despite Brodie Smith being AA I doubt anyone would notice him if he walked down the street in Melbourne or Perth.

Sean Dempster was an AA defender in 2012 but I doubt many people would notice him if he walked past them in the street either.

Riewoldt is one of the biggest stars of the game so of course it was going to be bigger news about him being knocked out than Brodie Smith who no one would know outside of Adelaide, if Dangerfield or Tex Walker were knocked out that would've been huge news too.

Adelaide also got their fair share of soft frees so you can't claim Vic bias there, last time I checked we had the most frees against us so far this season.

I notice that in the official player ratings, Brodie Smith is ranked 23rd and would be very close to AA selection. Riewoldt is ranked 146th. Maybe that's enough to be a superstar in St Kilda

I learnt that Freo, Hawthorn or Sydney will win the flag

I learnt that 4th spot is wide open now that Port are dog s**t

I learnt that GWS will most likely play finals

I notice that in the official player ratings, Brodie Smith is ranked 23rd and would be very close to AA selection. Riewoldt is ranked 146th. Maybe that's enough to be a superstar in St Kilda

If you think Brodie Smith is a bigger superstar of the game than Riewoldt then you're more one eyed than any Victorian club supporters.

Riewoldt has 6 B&Fs, 5 AA selections including AA captain and an AFL MVP award, he'd be a superstar at any club.

Learned: That the game of AFL is about only some of the sides ... that some sides are unmentionable. I learned that if two players are out of the game for a Vic side then this is all that matters ... it should never be said that the non-Vic side also has two players injured and out of the game. I learned that a knock to the head of a player from a Vic side is huge news but the fact that the exact same clash-of-heads incident knocked out a player from a non-Vic side is of no note whatsoever. Neither is it barely worthy of mention if a player from a non-Vic side suffers a probable season-ending knee injury (if at the same time a player from a Vic side has a sore head). I learned that a player from a non-Vic side can take mark of the year in the goal-square and the only thing worthy of comment is to question if that player held the mark all the way to the ground (which he did). I learned that a player can hold a mark all the way to the ground but spill it after that point and it is not a mark if the player is from a non-Vic side and was low to the ground. I learned that a player from a Vic side can earn a 50m penalty and goal for his team by smothering the ball when a player from a non-Vic side tries to return it. And finally I learned that if one player has his head over a ground ball and runs into and head-buts a stationary opponent, then that is a free kick for "head high tackle" if the stationary player is from a non-Vic side, but it is "ducked head play on" if the stationary player is from a Vic club.

Thank you for this. It will do nicely as an example the next time I am accused of stereotyping people from Adelaide as suffering acute inferiority complex.

Thank you for this. It will do nicely as an example the next time I am accused of stereotyping people from Adelaide as suffering acute inferiority complex.
Thanks for this wonderful example of a very poor rebuttal of an argument.

This post would defy belief if it wasent written by a clueless, paranoid Adelaide supporter. They are indeed a unique breed.

The " argument" is unworthy of rebuttal. It's a ridiculous unsubstantiated rant and nothing more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked the fact that Carlton's game came on directly after ours, which I knew would instantly cheer me up from our loss and Roo ending up in hospital with brain scans. It didn't disappoint.

I learnt that Carlton made a big boo-boo letting Betts go.

I hated that head clash that sent Riewoldt to hospital. It was nasty and I'm really glad both seem to have come out of it without any major injuries.
TBH if the match review panel weren't so trigger happy suspending people for going the bump, Nick probably would have gone in lower and braced, bumped and no head clash would have occurred.

Liked - The Eddie Betts show. Guy is a freak and a very smart player.

Hated - Betts going for speccies feet first. Am I the only one noticing this? Looks a deliberate tactic to push a player under the ball without using the hands. Not sure im ok with it...

Learned - The Giants recruiting has been so much better than the Suns its not funny. They have deliberately gone after hard, agressive, nasty bastards and these guys are protecting the kids as they strut their stuff.

I learned that Leigh Fisher is either on the take or has a serious grudge against Freo. The other two umps might just be incompetent.

I also learned that the Bulldogs are going to be a seriously good team in 18 months time.

Liked:

- GWS can easily make the 8 if they keep their whole side intact.
- Brisbane. Great to see a side WANTING to win.
- Daniel Rich. Welcome back....and to Port you are absolutely silly for not tagging him.
- My tip that Port are not as good as everyone thought being correct. Good for my bet at least.

Dislike

- Over officiating, and it is across the board.
- Dropping the knees, it is becoming ridiculous and every side is doing it.
- Fyfe's report is going to cost me a bucketload!

Learnt

- Hand Carlton the spoon now, will be lucky to win another game.
- Essendon's list has more holes than swiss cheese. If they think that side is a flag contender think again.

Liked:

- GWS can easily make the 8 if they keep their whole side intact.
- Brisbane. Great to see a side WANTING to win.
- Daniel Rich. Welcome back....and to Port you are absolutely silly for not tagging him.
- My tip that Port are not as good as everyone thought being correct. Good for my bet at least.

Dislike

- Over officiating, and it is across the board.
- Dropping the knees, it is becoming ridiculous and every side is doing it.
- Fyfe's report is going to cost me a bucketload!

Learnt

- Hand Carlton the spoon now, will be lucky to win another game.
- Essendon's list has more holes than swiss cheese. If they think that side is a flag contender think again.

Should only be a fine, but then again the MRP has no clue. How much money we talking about anyway?

Liked:
Essendon vs North was a great game to watch
GWS and West Coast clinical (but see below)
Freo vs Bulldogs a surprisingly tight finish, Pav's goal in particular a beauty.

Disliked:
The one-sided games
The injuries, particularly the head knocks.

Learnt: After a bright start, my mob has played Geelong and Richmond into form the last two weeks. We're a young side and will have our ups and downs.

Richmond had its best players all stand up when it counted in the last, very good kicking for goal. Interesting to see if it kick-starts their season.

Liked: Brisbane beating Port Adelaide, Bulldogs getting very close, Richmond stepping up in last quarter

Hated: Fyfe being reported for effectively falling over

Learnt: There are always 2/3 upsets every week, and the good tippers are the ones who are gonna get at least 1 right

Are you going to resort to Supercoach or DT stats next.... Riewoldt is, has been and most likely always will be a bigger name, higher profile player than Smith.

Bias in commentary exists. Wouldnt have thought that would have surprised anyone....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back