male sports keeping female affiliates afloat.

Remove this Banner Ad

this.... its the same as the equal pay premise, why are the males being punished for bringing in the revenue, and lifting the game
Why should women be punished for the lack pf societal support throughout history which created the current structural conditions?

Leagues should fund at least semi-pro equivalents. A-League already does.
http://www.afl.com.au/womens

they funded a game on the big stage, the vfl barely gets that.
they do give money to grass roots and women football, but there is only a small market for it.
your point isn't well made, i know what your saying, but you want the men to have to do it for them? how the fcuk does that empower women, or help with equality, if the women are requiring mens help to do it?

FWIW I reckon Serena Williams would beat the crap out of Bernard Tomic, and just about all the male players outside the top five, on the world's professional tennis circuit.
They could play all day and Serena would be lucky to take a single game off Tomic.

Anyone in the top 1000 would have a field day with her.

The under 17's US boys soccer team beat the national women's team 8-2 in 2012 as well.

There's no contest.

Oh Hai Rita Panahi.

I couldn't disagree more with the premise of your post, it beggars belief that some blokes can't accept that many women are pro athletes, and are darn good at it.

Its your choice to watch it or not, but to dismiss their product/competitive efforts and achievements just because they are women, is just idiotic.

FWIW I reckon Serena Williams would beat the crap out of Bernard Tomic, and just about all the male players outside the top five, on the world's professional tennis circuit.

She wouldn't. She played the men's no. 200 in the world and got flogged

pwnage

Karsten Braasch v the Williams Sisters
During the 1998 Australian Open, sisters Serena and Venus Williams boasted that they could beat any man ranked outside the world's top 200. The challenge was accepted by Karsten Braasch, a German player ranked No 203 (his highest ranking was No 38). Before the matches, Braasch played a round of golf in the morning, drank a couple of beers, smoked a few cigarettes, and then played the Williams sisters for a set each, one after the other. He defeated Serena, 6-1, and Venus, 6-2. Serena said afterwards "I didn't know it would be that hard. I hit shots that would have been winners on the women's tour and he got to them easily."

Would we ever see an 18 team female AFL comp playing curtain raisers before the men?

Salary cap of $1 mill a year, 15 a-side, 20 minute quarters (no time on).

Would only get crowds of 7-10k every week but hey, some Sydney NRL teams pull that in every week...

Why should women be punished for the lack pf societal support throughout history which created the current structural conditions?

they aren't, i don't know if you're aware how much financial support the FFA gives the matilda's, the ATP gives the WTA, these organisations help keep their female counterparts afloat.

you think its a coincidence that all 6 of the major partners that the matildas have are socceroos sponsors? id only be guessing, but i dare say that everytime they get a partner, they'd be pressuring those companies to sponsor the matilda's too. you can't do that if your ideology and intention isn't in the right place, and if your organisation isn't in a position to make those demands.

Oh Hai Rita Panahi.

I couldn't disagree more with the premise of your post, it beggars belief that some blokes can't accept that many women are pro athletes, and are darn good at it.

Its your choice to watch it or not, but to dismiss their product/competitive efforts and achievements just because they are women, is just idiotic.

Back around 1999, when Serena and Venus both had a few grand slams under their belt, they said they could beat any male player outside the top 200.

A german guy (ranked number 203) took them up on their challenge. He played them one after the other and won 6-2 6-1.

Bernard is far bigger, stronger and more mobile than Serena, and mobility is one of Bernard's biggest weaknesses. She has the turning circle of a barge. He would lynch her.

NETBALLDiamonds players are paid $200 each day they are on national duty. Captain contracted by Netball Australia for $10,000 and vice-captain $5000. Average wage is $200 a day when on national duty.

ANZ CHAMPIONSHIPAverage wage: $21,800
Minimum wage: $12,500
Maximum wage: $115,00, Irene van Dyk

NETBALLDiamonds players are paid $200 each day they are on national duty. Captain contracted by Netball Australia for $10,000 and vice-captain $5000. Average wage is $200 a day when on national duty.

ANZ CHAMPIONSHIPAverage wage: $21,800
Minimum wage: $12,500
Maximum wage: $115,00, Irene van Dyk

What were AFL players getting paid 20 or 30 years ago?

Their game is a fairly amateur one.

Oh Hai Rita Panahi.

No she wouldn't.

The op is right. TV networks have the opportunity to change this but don't. They choose not to televise woman's events.

Shame, as the Matilda's are playing at a good level

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/02/02/a-look-at-state-football-in-the-70s/

"The going rate for a VFL player at the time was about $600 per annum. Thompson and Tuddenham wanted between $6,000 and $8,000 per annum – quite a leap.

By the end of the 70s, VFL player wages had move from 15% of the average adult wage, to 75 percent.

By 1983, it would be 113 percent."

so until about 1980 the average wage in footy hadn't surpassed the average wage outside of football.
after 70+ years of being the biggest supported, attended sport in the nation.

doesn't grow on trees, and it took years, and years to turn this game into a fully professional, highly payed industry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Around 20ish years ago, (a bit longer actually) Alastair Lynch signed a 10 year, $1.8 million contract with Brisbane.

Leigh Matthews was on over $1,000 per game 40 years ago.

I'm not too sure if I'd describe the netballers as amateur. Certainly in the amount they are remunerated they are, I would think in their dedication and skill level that they aren't.

I much prefer watching it to basketball. If you've never watched it, the World Cup is on in August in Australia. Do yourself a favour and watch the Aussies particularly if they're playing the Kiwis at any stage (usually the final).

Around 20ish years ago, (a bit longer actually) Alastair Lynch signed a 10 year, $1.8 million contract with Brisbane.

I'm not too sure if I'd describe the netballers as amateur. Certainly in the amount they are remunerated they are, I would think in their dedication and skill level that they aren't.

I much prefer watching it to basketball. If you've never watched it, the World Cup is on in August in Australia. Do yourself a favour and watch the Aussies particularly if they're playing the Kiwis at any stage (usually the final).
quite enjoy the netball. great atmosphere.
that final minute in the final was unbelievable.

Relative interest as follows:
Agassi v. Sampras (regardless of whether it is when they were at their peak or now as a masters match) >>>>>>>>>> a few games of a Eugenie Bouchard match >>> women's a Grand Slam tournament final >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Match involving Arancha Sanchez-Vicario when she was at the peak of her powers.

have you seen womens footy? they would get flogged by state comp teams.
fairly sure matildas would get flogged by the socceroos as well.
most female tennis players can't keep up with the men.
no female runners can keep up with the men.

the reason there's less support for it is down to many things but not a lack of support, the lack of support is due to it being an inferior product.
There are sports where women are just as bit as good as the blokes, in some cases (like bowling) they are often better.

The fact is this comes down to one simple fact body types, women just aren't built like blokes.
I remember when my cousin played mixed baseball. Once he turned 16 he couldn't pitch to girls any more because he started pitching over 105K's, not nearly good enough for the big leagues because he was too slow, yet he was pitching faster then the fastest female pitcher in the world at the time.

there's your fairness and equality, He'd played along side the same group since he was six had the exact same coach got the exact some pay (none) and bypassed the best female pitcher while routinely being knocked back by scouts and his reward for being average? well eventually when he was 20 he was picked up by some minor league scouts in the US and earned sweet **** all for ten years before getting married to a yank bird. But before that his reward was to only pitch 4 people and miss match time because it was deemed he had an unfair advantage by having a penis.

women are not punished in sports, they just typically aren't the best at sport and typically sport is about who's the best.

Last edited:
During the 1998 Australian Open, sisters Serena and Venus Williams boasted that they could beat any man ranked outside the world's top 200. The challenge was accepted by Karsten Braasch, a German player ranked No 203 (his highest ranking was No 38). Before the matches, Braasch played a round of golf in the morning, drank a couple of beers, smoked a few cigarettes, and then played the Williams sisters for a set each, one after the other. He defeated Serena, 6-1, and Venus, 6-2. Serena said afterwards "I didn't know it would be that hard. I hit shots that would have been winners on the women's tour and he got to them easily."
What an absolute champ. I'd pay to watch this guy play tennis before I paid to watch Serena, not only is he far more talented but he sounds like he'd be more entertaining and almost definitely more modest

Yeah, I've watched netball. It's terrible. Fun to play though.

Are they being ripped off though? If so, who by?

I suspect their payment is reflective of the revenue the sport raises.

It's an excellent example for this argument, because there's no significant male version. Maybe there is male netball, shouldn't they be compensated just the same as the females?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back