male sports keeping female affiliates afloat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Well moved to another board then, Slimmy, cause this thread has really nothing to do with the Australian Football League.

the australian football league has long been accused of not hiring enough females.
female umpires, heads of clubs / organisations within football.
the female game.
the games contribution to NBCF, womens football, etc.

the australian football league has long been accused of not hiring enough females.
female umpires, heads of clubs / organisations within football.
the female game.
the games contribution to NBCF, womens football, etc.

i guess my point is, just because this issue wasn't spawned by the AFL and its constituents, doesn't mean it isn't an issue that our game, or our supporters should neglect.

Money talks loudest everywhere in the world. There is simply no interest in women's sport in general so therefore there is no money coming into the sport and therefore no money can be afforded to pay high salaries. It's simple supply demand economics.

i have no issue with womens sports, I've actually woken up early to watch the soccer, i watch all sports, including the ashes, the anz championship, which i thoroughly enjoyed.

my point is, they don't deserve to get X just because someone says "hey that man does the same as me and he gets more", its simply not the case. the male sports shouldn't be punished for being successful.

let the success of the matildas grow the industry, don't just jump on and say we want it now, when you have to help grow the sport in the way the socceroos have, which is one of the most impressive leaps I've seen a sporting team/organization take in the last 15 years.
Can you post a link to these articles to give some context. I read an article in the age after the win and there was just a paragraph in the story at the start which mentioned what their pay was compared to the men but used that reference to say that theyre part time to emphasize the achievment there was no mention of a demand for pay equality

100 years of male dominance in the sporting arena, coupled with restrictions on what women are still allowed to do, are the reason for this.

You are borderline stupid with these remarks.

Sport is millennia older than 100 years -- going back to Roman Gladiators they were universally men competing in these spectacles.

Feminism movements of the 20th century are the only things saying women can compete with men on the sporting arena, and the field of war.

Common sense and reality says absolute horsesh!t 9/10.

And what the hell "restrictions" are you on about? Women are free to be in any sport that has females playing it, and even traditionally male things like weight lifting, or be roided up body builders with muscles bigger than most men -- for decades now.

Can you post a link to these articles to give some context. I read an article in the age after the win and there was just a paragraph in the story at the start which mentioned what their pay was compared to the men but used that reference to say that theyre part time to emphasize the achievment there was no mention of a demand for pay equality
the articles today re the matildas?

The way to address the pay gap is not to argue for equal pay, this is fanciful. Instead it should be equal pay as a proportion of revenue.

For example in womens tennis, even when controlling for factors like attendence, sponsorship etc, women still get paid less proportionally. The exception is the Aussie Open

Several.

None have been any good though or had lasting careers, so it's not surprising that people don't know.

Michele Mouton came 2nd in the top tier rally championship back in the 80's. She's part of a really good documentary on the Group B rally car eras that is worth a watch (can't recall the name though).

I guess Danica Patrick has made herself a good career with a few highlights.

I think there's been a few women who have done well in European touring cars too.

None of that is formula 1 you realise.

The way to address the pay gap is not to argue for equal pay, this is fanciful. Instead it should be equal pay as a proportion of revenue.

For example in womens tennis, even when controlling for factors like attendence, sponsorship etc, women still get paid less proportionally. The exception is the Aussie Open
I was under the impression that the womens final competitors (despite playing less time) are paid the same amount

what do you mean the exception is the aussie open?
currently all grand slams see men and women receive the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was under the impression that the womens final competitors (despite playing less time) are paid the same amount

they are: http://www.totalsportek.com/tennis/wimbledon-prize-money/ (wimbledon purse 2015)

the articles today re the matildas?

Yep, got it. What a ridiculous article, this is why the media is evil (regardless of the topic) they will use facts that are real but put no context into them to maximize the impact regardless of impact - at least this is about sport, it's usually done during political articles which is just wrong as most people base their beliefs on what they read.
One other thing, mentioning girls 'youve seen in bad clothing' doing things you deem inappropriate and has nothing to do with the topic of this thread
Attached for reference
http://www.news.com.au/sport/footba...s-addressing-pfa/story-fndkzvnd-1227412705506

Yep, got it. What a ridiculous article, this is why the media is evil (regardless of the topic) they will use facts that are real but put no context into them to maximize the impact regardless of impact - at least this is about sport, it's usually done during political articles which is just wrong as most people base their beliefs on what they read.
One other thing, mentioning girls 'youve seen in bad clothing' doing things you deem inappropriate and has nothing to do with the topic of this thread
Attached for reference
http://www.news.com.au/sport/footba...s-addressing-pfa/story-fndkzvnd-1227412705506
correct, it was just in response, but like i said, neither here nor there.

as for the articles, i feel as though one conglomerate went for it, and then they all jumped on:
http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...y-between-matildas-and-socceroos-pay-revealed
http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...s-addressing-pfa/story-e6frf423-1227412705506
https://au.sports.yahoo.com/football/a/28533645/matildas-need-fair-pay-pfa/?cmp=fb

and then there is this one:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/matildas-need-fair-pay-pfa/story-e6frf423-1227412264976

which states that as a result of their success, and presumedly the growth of the game, they will get a pay rise, so they can "concentrate full time on football", what a coincidence, perform, expose positively and then get paid.... funny how it works like that.

There hasn't.

F1 is the very top level.

Its like comparing the VFL and the AFL.
But you're wrong. There has been females at the top level! How hard is it?

Google Lella Lombardi and stop wasting your breath.

the premise of my post is that some professional women's sports don't put bums on chairs, bring in dollars, or viewers on television, whether thats mens equestrian or the WNBL, i don't care, just because someone in the same industry is making more money, doesn't mean you are entitled to, just because of gender.

oh, and FYI, if the product was as good, they'd be getting the money, sponsors, screen time.

Part of it what the FFA choose to pay the players out of their pool of $ (which, yes mostly comes from the men). But the vast difference in pay scale is not defendable (men $66k each for reaching semis of Asian cup vs women $2k for semis of World cup if SEN is correct). Particularly when for most of the men they don't really need this money (earning much more via club football) while the women have (because their club football doesn't yet really pay) to put on hold careers etc. Part of the argument is needs based, and I can't say that the men's teamhas need. Also if men's team does well at national level,it will inflate the value of individual players who can get it back via club football.

But you're wrong. There has been females at the top level! How hard is it?

Google Lella Lombardi and stop wasting your breath.
Ok good job Googling after your fail attempt. Glad to be proven wrong. 1 woman in 65 years. I'm all for more, if they can make it. Nothing stopping women race car drivers as per my older post.

Ok good job Googling after your fail attempt. Glad to be proven wrong. 1 woman in 65 years. I'm all for more, if they can make it. Nothing stopping women race car drivers as per my older post.
You mean the post you sheepishly deleted?

There has been more than 1 female for what it's worth anyway. There's currently 2? female test drivers/development drivers in F1. I know for a fact that Susie Wolff has got track time this season too.

I said there's been female drivers and I've proven that there's female drivers. Boy is my face red.

Part of it what the FFA choose to pay the players out of their pool of $ (which, yes mostly comes from the men). But the vast difference in pay scale is not defendable (men $66k each for reaching semis of Asian cup vs women $2k for semis of World cup if SEN is correct). Particularly when for most of the men they don't really need this money (earning much more via club football) while the women have (because their club football doesn't yet really pay) to put on hold careers etc. Part of the argument is needs based, and I can't say that the men's teamhas need. Also if men's team does well at national level,it will inflate the value of individual players who can get it back via club football.

i hear you, but look at the matilda's sponsors, all six are socceroo's sponsors, so a lot of their funding is directly related to the socceroos. i think they do deserve more money, at international level, and most definitely at club level, but i feel like this shouldn't have an impact on or have input from where the men are at, they've done nothing but improve the image and growth of the game, and the matilda's have benefitted from this (not to say they haven't helped either)....

id have much less of an issue with this topic if it was "matilidas grossly underpaid" instead of "matildas pay gap to socceroos is (insert damning word here)".

Say whaaaat? What'd I miss?

Are you saying there has been a female Formula 1 driver?

NASCAR I think (which US regard higher than F1) - Danica Patrick.
And women compete equally with men in equestrian (sure small sport here, fairly big in Europe).
Shooting I think is separated - can't think of a reason why this should be so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back