Offseason illicit drug tests - now with new thread title

Remove this Banner Ad

Read your own post again I would say.

How Pert will use this? Not sure. Can he?
The AFLPA will stick to its view to give the new policy a year and then reassess.
The name and shame is for instance at strike 2.
Confidentiality of voluntarily testing has taken a serious hit so not sure if that will happen again either.
Anything beyond that will mean change in contracts and conditions. That can take months and again why?
Pert can reiterate that clubs aren't in the know but damage has already been done.
Read my own post again? For what? If you're going to tell me what i'm saying at least be specific

So you're saying this can't be used as a reason for clubs to be more involved? I really don't get how you can argue it. It's already been said by Eddie and Bucks as a defense of the club, that they are powerless. Seems the logic for the change stems straight from that.

Pert definitely could use this, the club feels powerless, and has no way to stop this bad press currently. Pretty easy to turn it on the AFL from here, it's their fault the club can't act, blame the league (or the PA), get a discussion of change furthered (which Pert has been trying to do for years)

Read my own post again? For what? If you're going to tell me what i'm saying at least be specific

So you're saying this can't be used as a reason for clubs to be more involved? I really don't get how you can argue it. It's already been said by Eddie and Bucks as a defense of the club, that they are powerless. Seems the logic for the change stems straight from that.

Pert definitely could use this, the club feels powerless, and has no way to stop this bad press currently. Pretty easy to turn it on the AFL from here, it's their fault the club can't act, blame the league (or the PA), get a discussion of change furthered (which Pert has been trying to do for years)
Share the sentiment, sceptic about outcome.
Not saying it can be used, but in the short term/this season it won't lead to any result. The initial focus is on club involvement for players tested positive.
We have seen it is an issue for the clubs but hard to claim it doesn't work and press for changes if the latest solution is only just in place.
Defense against the media, in reality there's nothing fullproof. Anyone can write anything. You can starve them from information and attention at the most.

Loved Wayne Clark's opinion on SportFM this morning.

We keep hearing from the AFL and those involved that it's a society issue, not an AFL one. Well, the AFL are a part of society and have an opportunity to make a stance and set an example. Stop blaming society, make a stand and do something about it. Declare that illicit, illegal drugs are not tolerated in the slightest. Make young foolballers and fans aware of this fact.

We keep hearing from the AFL and those involved that it's a society issue, not an AFL one. Well, the AFL are a part of society and have an opportunity to make a stance and set an example. Stop blaming society, make a stand and do something about it. Declare that illicit, illegal drugs are not tolerated in the slightest. Make young foolballers and fans aware of this fact.

Yep. Great. /sarcasm

The players agreed to hair testing which will show everything, std procedure gives about 90 days of data. Become absolutely penal about and the players becomes absolutely militant.

the players will have PED testing in season and any specific illicit drug testing will be met with Go * yourself.

Yep. Great. /sarcasm

The players agreed to hair testing which will show everything, std procedure gives about 90 days of data. Become absolutely penal about and the players becomes absolutely militant.

the players will have PED testing in season and any specific illicit drug testing will be met with Go **** yourself.
You think the AFLPA would be comfortable waging a public war against the AFL to argue for their right to take illegal, illicit drugs? They probably still would do so, but they're not going to get much public support.

Pretty bloody sick of media people moralising and pretending to be concerned for the players' welfare or for society when we all know that they only want drug testing to be open and punitive so they can run "{Player X} in Drug Disgrace" headlines.

Pretty bloody sick of media people moralising and pretending to be concerned for the players' welfare or for society when we all know that they only want drug testing to be open and punitive so they can run "{Player X} in Drug Disgrace" headlines.
He's not really a media person. He's about as far from sensationalist as you can get. Your post may be relevant to many but not to Clark.

Just on the PED/recreational drug divide...as we're all now overly familiar with the WADA code (thanks Essendon)

Many recreational drugs are banned under the WADA code under the in-competition section (S6,7 and 8)

I think it's fairly optimistic to assume that players only partake of this pastime in the off-season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AFL told the CEO of each club their club's results, there's something wrong with that?

It seems likely the leak came out of Collingwood.

Collingwood may be many things but one thing they are not is stupid when it comes to playing the media. There is no chance IMO that it came out of Collingwood. Not a couple of days out from their first game.

The leak came from a person / club who had a vested interest in seeing the Pies go down in flames over this. Was it the Swans? I don't believe it was. What other club would be interested in throwing mud around when it comes to drugs?

My 2 bobs worth...

Spot on. The media have a VESTED interest in pushing for public disclosure. Pissants.

As I've said before, I have no problem with the players agreeing to testing for illicit drugs BUT only when the AFL executive and management ranks and everyone in the media covering the game agree to be a part of the testing regime.

Until both the AFL management and media agree to be a part of it, the players stance should be one of...F@#% OFF!!

Spot on. The media have a VESTED interest in pushing for public disclosure. Pissants.

As I've said before, I have no problem with the players agreeing to testing for illicit drugs BUT only when the AFL executive and management ranks and everyone in the media covering the game to be a part of the testing regime.

Until both the AFL management and media agree to be a part of it, the players stance should be one of...glory be OFF!!
Why?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None of their right to know what the players get up to during the off season. Like I said, the media want this for one reason and one reason only..$$$.

As I said, no issue with the players being a part of illicit drug testing but only once the AFL execs lead by example and sign up to it. Why should the players sign up to it when their bosses aren't privy to the same conditions?

Collingwood may be many things but one thing they are not is stupid when it comes to playing the media. There is no chance IMO that it came out of Collingwood. Not a couple of days out from their first game.

The leak came from a person / club who had a vested interest in seeing the Pies go down in flames over this. Was it the Swans? I don't believe it was. What other club would be interested in throwing mud around when it comes to drugs?

My 2 bobs worth...

Great conspiracy theory but clubs only get their own data. And rightly so - otherwise what you say becomes a certainty. Think about it - what point is served in the Swans getting the Pies' data. None

Leak likely comes from AFL HOUSE aka - The Sieve.

My 2 bobs worth...

My conspiracy theory is its Robbos return serve for "Sarah the Collingwood mother"

None of their right to know what the players get up to during the off season. Like I said, the media want this for one reason and one reason only..$$$.

As I said, no issue with the players being a part of illicit drug testing but only once the AFL execs lead by example and sign up to it. Why should the players sign up to it when their bosses aren't privy to the same conditions?

That's fair I would expect all AFL employees sign a contract that they could be hair tested monthly to protect the AFL brand. If you are not prepared to sign the work contract and allow it then nick off work somewhere else!

That would be fair and I'm sure the majority of AFL staff wouldn't have an issue and the ones that do can find a new employer!

You think the AFLPA would be comfortable waging a public war against the AFL to argue for their right to take illegal, illicit drugs? They probably still would do so, but they're not going to get much public support.

They'll argue that medical results/drug testing results of non performance enhancing drugs, should be anonymous. They'll argue that the AFL has let them down previously in this regard and that they'll do their best to educate and help players stay away from illicit drugs but don't wish for them to be tested due to privacy concerns.

I think they have a point- if they agreed to illicit drug testing (hard stance to now turn against) and it was meant to be anonymous, leaking of any sort is not acceptable.

If it's a societal issue and the AFL is part of society, then the hardline, puritanical approach is completely and utterly stupid, and only ignorant fools argue for it. It's a failure.

I think they have a point- if they agreed to illicit drug testing (hard stance to now turn against) and it was meant to be anonymous, leaking of any sort is not acceptable.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree here.

I just hate the perception that drug taking is fine...just as long as nobody finds out. Carlisle cops a ban despite taking drugs out of season, yet there are obviously dozens of others who escape criticism or punishment.

I'd rather the AFL take a strong stance and lead the way in showing the community that it is unacceptable. I don't care if it's the hardest drug policy in the world. Let's change the culture.

How about we stop this stupid, pointless ****in testing, and coaches and leadership groups can be responsible for player welfare and just keep an eye on their players. The end.
I'd much prefer the clubs be advised at the 1st strike. I believe that's what the clubs want too. It allows them to apply discipline and control the matters.

Eh, frankly, if you want to argue the hardline approach, you're arguing for a backwards approach and the game and society will continue to move away from it and you'll be made to look silly long-term.
You're just keep sharing a bunch of gobbledygook without actually saying anything of substance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back