Offseason illicit drug tests - now with new thread title

Remove this Banner Ad

Hair test them, if they test positive, they cop a 4 match H&A ban. Easy. It's hardline without being career threatening and defuses the situation.

I agree and the embarrassment in being banned can be worse than the ban itself, with the public announcement and how they have let their team mates and club down. As we heard from Krakour recently on how he had let his mates and club down in being caught out in drinking and putting himself in a bad position!

It's no way the same as using a wrecking ball, test them every month with hair testing and there is no avoiding the consequences! Everyone will be treated the same!

And as for people wanting to photograph the players, I would do it in a heartbeat if I could sell the photo to the media for $20k and how many dumbo players would get themselves caught in this position whilst high?

As for you not caring, what about the thousands of 50 plus year olds or parents with young children following their idols, it puts a huge strain on the brand when this part of your target audience starts to think poorly of your product because of a minority of players who are dumb enough to get caught. Easy solution is to get rid of the problem or control them with a full proof method of catching them out and setting hard punishments!!

don't worry, the only way to ever be in a position to take a photo of a player afl player doing drugs is if you're in on it.

You're just keep sharing a bunch of gobbledygook without actually saying anything of substance.

No you're deflecting because you're endorsing a failed approach. If we want to do the "AFL is part of society" thing, than you need to weigh up if a hardline approach is worthwhile. But it's not, it's a failed approach in wider society and would be a failed approach on a micro level too, especially when you factor in people who may struggle with addiction issues, people with deep depression that may turn to drugs as an escape and the general fallibility of human beings. The punitive approach is there solely for PR purposes (we're tough on drugs rah rah rah) rather than actually trying to help people. It's something as a society we're moving away from, and we shouldn't be looking backwards on this topic.

Last edited:

don't worry, the only way to ever be in a position to take a photo of a player afl player doing drugs is if you're in on it.

Similar to that of the NRL player having simulated sex with an animal. If a player is doing drugs he would be half out of it and his concerns for being caught would go along with that, leaving himself open to be caught or photographed.

Which is the reason the AFL need to stamp out these dipshits and stop them from being out in this position to wreck the very brand that generates billions from sponsors and media rights. By testing them as other sports do in off season and penalise them accordingly!

No you're deflecting because you're endorsing a failed approach. If we want to do the "AFL is part of society" thing, than you need to weigh up if a hardline approach is worthwhile. But it's not, it's a failed approach in wider society and would be a failed approach on a micro level too, especially when you factor in people who may struggle with addiction issues, people with deep depression that may turn to drugs as an escape and the general fallibility of human beings. The punitive approach is there solely for PR purposes (we're tough on drugs rah rah rah) rather than actually trying to help people. It's something as a society we're moving away from, and we shouldn't be looking backwards on this topic.
You're not really comparing apples with apples because despite a hardline stance in penalties, the chances of being caught were/are extremely low in general society, or even for AFL players.

I'm talking about implementing a process that WILL catch you should you offend. You will then cop a 4 week H&A penalty, which is a decent penalty without being career threatening. It also takes the tabloid venom out of the scenario.

To be honest, the PR aspect is a major driver for me. To have the AFL lead the community and stand up by saying "we're not going to tolerate drugs" could have a positive flow on effect to juniors and the community in general.

What we're doing now is NOT working and this kind of program would be unprecedented. I think it'd be worth a trial at the very least.

Similar to that of the NRL player having simulated sex with an animal. If a player is doing drugs he would be half out of it and his concerns for being caught would go along with that, leaving himself open to be caught or photographed.

Which is the reason the AFL need to stamp out these dipshits and stop them from being out in this position to wreck the very brand that generates billions from sponsors and media rights. By testing them as other sports do in off season and penalise them accordingly!

you could probably catch players when they're high doing some dumb s**t. no different to alcohol though.. but they'd have to be very stupid to be caught red handed with drugs.

for the record i thought it was disgraceful that people made such a big deal out of that NRL saga. it wasn't a particularly classy act but the shitstorm that followed was so disproportionate from the severity of the transgression.

for the record i thought it was disgraceful that people made such a big deal out of that NRL saga. it wasn't a particularly classy act but the shitstorm that followed was so disproportionate from the severity of the transgression.
The animal aspect was merely headline grabbing. The real story was his general flogness, reluctance to adhere to directions and his sleazy assault of the girl without her prompting or desire.

The animal aspect was merely headline grabbing. The real story was his general flogness, reluctance to adhere to directions and his sleazy assault of the girl without her prompting or desire.

that's what i felt it was mostly about. just an easy target for the media to make an example. he's a guy who can't control himself when he drinks. probably a bit like fev...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

that's what i felt it was mostly about. just an easy target for the media to make an example. he's a guy who can't control himself when he drinks. probably a bit like fev...
Getting "a little bit rapey" is beyond not being able to handle a drink or five

he was far from a gentlemen but lets be careful about throwing that R word around
Repeated unwanted sexual advances and trespassing. Worry about labels if you like, he's copping his right whack for woeful behavior

Repeated unwanted sexual advances and trespassing. Worry about labels if you like, he's copping his right whack for woeful behavior
From a small amount of footage and a story sold to the media, I wouldn't trust. The bloke acted like a knob, but the whole thing screamed set up

11 players tested positive to Party drugs in the off season. Would love to know the truth and how many Eddie has has put under the carpet!
Some get exposed, the vast majority don't. Marque payers get court orders.
The fact is young people take drugs.
Have a look and see how well the "war on drugs" costing tens of billions of wasted dollars, trillions if you count the US overseas damn-ups, has gone.
Should be treated as a medical issue in the work place just as it should be in society.
Spend it on treatment and harm minimization because it is wasted on policing and court costs.

And as for people wanting to photograph the players, I would do it in a heartbeat if I could sell the photo to the media for $20k and how many dumbo players would get themselves caught in this position whilst high?

This says way more about you as a person and your character than any drug test could ever say about a player and their character.

This says way more about you as a person and your character than any drug test could ever say about a player and their character.

I suppose doing something illegal is worse than snapping a pic! I wouldn't be in a position to do so, but I'm sure plenty of people given the opportunity to catch someone breaking the law inturn creating an income would take it, otherwise known as a journalist!

Ps I'm not a person I am an anonymous social media user! Two very different things!

But that's the problem with society's attitude. It's becoming normalised and it shouldn't be. The AFL are in a fantastic position to really make a stand here.
You want the AFL to make a stand on anything other than protecting their $ flow?

Sadly, you're faith and trust are misplaced. Look back over all the dramas and sagas in the AFL in recent years - only have to look at the numerous instances of BTGID as signposts for where to look for the coverups.
:oops:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back