Battleground (2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bayley :thumbsu:

Moment of the year by far
bayley_1.jpg

First PPV in a while for me and it was pretty par. Nothing amazing but there was some consistently good stuff.

The pop for Bailey was really good and it was fresh to start the show with a women's match. Sorry but I still didn't watch it though. I like that Bailey has a character.

I thought the New Day Wyatt match was great. The Xavier Woods story was really interesting and Bray is awesome at telling stories. It's a shame they've been split up because you could have more good matches with them.

I'm sure people loved the Zayn Owens match but it did nothing for me. It was pretty slow and I still don't know what they were fighting about. Owens is genuinely funny though "That's how you do it ref! "Do you give up?" "He does!"

Ten bucks says they have a rematch on raw in the next 4 weeks.

Rusev Ryder, Miz Young, why is this on PPV? Laughed at JBL saying Miz was paying tribute to eyes wide shut, it's from A Clockwork Orange you stupid idiot!

skipped the Cena and Divas crap

The Orton Y2J segment went on for way too long and belonged on Raw, but I like Orton face and pumped up, and Jericho was great teasing the inevitable RKO spot. Awesome that he had a go at the drug cheat, especially coming from a guy whose been done by the wellness policy twice

The Shield match was fun but a little underwhelming. Having the GMs out there was distracting, and took some emotion out of the match.

But yeah, for 2016 WWE it was an okay show

The Roman Sucks Chant at the Start just Shows People do it now just to be Cool:rolleyes::thumbsdown:

I cheer Roman because he has cool tatts and a cool beard and he does drugs which are cool. And his two moves are cool. People who boo him during a match are not cool because Roman naps during his matches and waking up anyone who is trying to sleep is not cool.

Ugh the brand pride ending :$ #battlegrounddelayed

That was terrible was hoping Ambrose would take them all out starting with Becky

Shane and Bryan running around the ring after the match was just embarrassing.

First PPV in a while for me and it was pretty par. Nothing amazing but there was some consistently good stuff.

The pop for Bailey was really good and it was fresh to start the show with a women's match. Sorry but I still didn't watch it though. I like that Bailey has a character.

I thought the New Day Wyatt match was great. The Xavier Woods story was really interesting and Bray is awesome at telling stories. It's a shame they've been split up because you could have more good matches with them.

I'm sure people loved the Zayn Owens match but it did nothing for me. It was pretty slow and I still don't know what they were fighting about. Owens is genuinely funny though "That's how you do it ref! "Do you give up?" "He does!"

Rusev Ryder, Miz Young, why is this on PPV? Laughed at JBL saying Miz was paying tribute to eyes wide shut, it's from A Clockwork Orange you stupid idiot!

The Orton Y2J segment went on for way too long and belonged on Raw, but I like Orton face and pumped up, and Jericho was great teasing the inevitable RKO spot. Awesome that he had a go at the drug cheat, especially coming from a guy whose been done by the wellness policy twice

The Shield match was fun but a little underwhelming. Having the GMs out there was distracting, and took some emotion out of the match.

So to summarise: "I skipped most of the show. It was ok. Nothing amazing."

Oh, and Miz and Maryse were definitely going for a masquerade ball in Eye Wide Shut thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots to discuss.

Women's tag match: Yeah fine whatever. BAYLEY!!!!!!!!!!!! * yes, awesome pop.

New Day vs Wyatts: Really fun. Woods getting hypnotised by Bray was great, along with his fight back against him. Big E pls stop almost dying you'll make me cry :'(

Rusev vs Ryder: Not unexpected. Was fine, nothing super exciting. Got less excited when Mojo ******* Rawley came out. Got more excited when Rusev stared at him like he was nothing.

Zayn vs Owens: Match of the night. Brilliant. Zayn's botch was really well covered by the fact that Owens started targeting it. Someone on reddit mentioned as well how the roles reversed a little at the end. Owens trying to be merciful, Zayn having to inflict more pain before he was satisfied. Very enjoyable match, the two of them are smashing 2016 (Owens vs Ambrose @ Royal Rumble, Zayn vs Nakamura @ Takeover Dallas, Zayn vs Owens vs Cesaro vs Miz @ Extreme Rules and now this).

Becky vs Natalya: Uggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh why did Natalya wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin? What the *? She's so boring.

Miz vs Young: WTF. I was intrigued going into it but confused coming out. How did the match end? Count out? I assume so, because the ring announcers (all 50 of them) ignored THEIR ONLY JOB and didn't announce the winner or the method!

Cena, Enzo, Cass vs The Club: I liked this. Liked how it became quite the brawl, liked the super AA. Enzo's pre-match promo was one of his best.

Shield Triple Threat: A little underwhelming given the hype. Maybe not having a third of the competitors around for the entire build will do that. Loved the Rollins/Ambrose beatdown on Roman though, complete with the assisted powerbomb through the Spanish announce table. Glad Dean won, would have been ridiculous for him to drop to Reigns. Would have been fine if Rollins had won but I think it still would have been too soon.

Also thumbs up to Goldust for wearing the facepaint even though he was only on camera in the locker room.
And * yes Breezango!

Thought it was a pretty great show. Only bad match was the IC Title match and that at least had Backlund being a lunatic.

The 3 tag matches were good fun, and the US Title match was decent (Ryder got in some good offence and came closer to getting our of the accolade than anyone not named John Cena).

Becky losing is frustrating but underdog faces need to lose a bit (or a lot, in Becky's case) before finally coming out on top. They had a tough spot on the card, having to follow a genuine MOTY contender, so unfortunately it was hard to get into it. Becky sold well and Natalya had to be a little underhanded to win so I'm fine with it. Becky will get her revenge.

Zayn vs Owens was outstanding. Awesome storytelling and a great finish to the match. I'm almost temped to think that the botch was deliberate because of how well it was incorporated into the match. If it wasn't deliberate then it was definitely a happy accident.

I loved that the Shield triple threat match was shenanigan free and that Ambrose won clean. Gives Smackdown a huge boost of legitimacy and leaves Rollins and Reigns to fight over a new (or old) title on RAW.

A big positive to take from the show was that it elevated, or at lease didn't hurt, pretty much everyone. I don't think anyone came out of Battleground looking worse than when they went in.

I mean this in the nicest way possible but if the Owens vs Zayn match did nothing for you might have grown out of wrestling. Or at least what WWE is in 2016.

Really good PPV

Only letdowns were Natalya/Becky Lynch match and the IC title match

Amazing match from Owens and Zayn - maybe my match of the year?? the fatal four way probably just a bit better still

Bayley's debut was great. Amazing pop

The Wyatt/New Day match was also fantastic. Xavier Woods is f**king great and Big E is seriously trying to kill himself with that move through the ropes :p

Also, I enjoyed the highlight reel segment too

All in all, very enjoyable

Remove this Banner Ad

Back