Any Stock Tips? - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit quiet around here..

Anyway, been looking at The Gruden Group (GGL). Tech company involved in client service integration across diff platforms.

Not sure if keen. Anyone had a look?

I've got some shares in RXP who are similar, it's a pretty dull area for investing TBH.

My long term hold of MVF has turned out ok.

58% up to date. Thinking of buying more, any one else got a view on them? I just keep seeing more and more counts of IVF which can only be good for them.

My long term play on BHP has me pulling my hair out on the other hand.

58% up to date. Thinking of buying more, any one else got a view on them? I just keep seeing more and more counts of IVF which can only be good for them.

BHP is cyclical and profitability is influenced by spot prices which is a who fukin knows game
IMO its never a long term play

I also bought MVF - got them at 1.21 - I'm liking them but just not sure if they are Going to continue to grow. Prepared to hold but edgy about buying more.

I went with S32 rather than BHP - at the moment, it's paying off

A bit of a variation to what this thread is meant to be about but is anyone selling into this strength?

If so, what are you selling?

I guess you can detail short selling if that's your game but I'm more interested in what people are shedding from their portfolios.

A bit of a variation to what this thread is meant to be about but is anyone selling into this strength?

If so, what are you selling?

I guess you can detail short selling if that's your game but I'm more interested in what people are shedding from their portfolios.

I'm getting rid of stocks that aren't going up. It's a revolutionary idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SAS are an interesting company for anyone who wants a very, very speculative stock to watch.

Newly listed so hard to ascertain their cash burn - one suspects they will be a cap raising or two pre launch of their first nano satellite.

Not holding but definitely on one of my multiple watchlists.

Is P/E even a thing, like Branjolina, or just white noise like Brennifer?

It is definitely a thing. Whether it is useful or not is really dependent upon your own preferences.

It's a good guide to limit the downside risk. Eg. buy at P/E of 10 and profits halve the following year, you've still got a 5% return, buy at P/E 40 and profits down 10% and you've got only 2.25%.*

In essence, anything over 20-odd you're expecting a significant change in the profit for the company, they become speculative.

I like it because I don't like losing money and high P/E ratios are a good way to lose money quickly if things turn bad (if you invest $1k, and lose 50%, you need to get 100% return on the remainder to break even. Much rather just tick along at 7-10% if possible).

The academic literature show (with obviously some issues surrounding the delisting of companies) that low P/E ratio companies perform better, on a risk/return basis.

*Return is based not on the change in market value, but rather the return your portion of ownership in the company generated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back