Lachie Whitfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, from the rather criptic and unhelpful opening post I've now read the story. And I don't get it.

Who made the allegation? And why? They talk of a "then girlfriend" - is there an axe being ground there?

Surely if you were hiding from drug testers you'd do it by staying at your girlfriend's house, or some other mate's house, not the house of a club official.

How long was he there - sounds like overnight. A migraine wouldn't keep you holed up anywhere longer than a day (I'm a migraine sufferer myself)

So he's stayed at the home of a club official one night while ASADA was not testing anyone. Club officials obviously knew where he was because he was with one.

So Essendon players get pumped full of who knows what and get 12 months (and lots of people get very upset at the length of ban) and they're talking about 2-4 years for this? Yeah.... Not so much.

I'll also wait to see what the outcome of the investigation is before I'm going to jump at any other shadows.

Yep the ex-girlfriend
The potential drug violation was unearthed by the Giants after they received a series of emails from the footballer’s former partner. The contents of the email are believed to have mentioned alleged drug use.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...n/news-story/3e21420c1f8b0f1ef207a37ae5e39c8d

Last edited:
Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Heard the same thing.

Ok my take. Not what i wanted to wake up to at 1am.

A garbage vic article again with no info just innuendo.
Reporter only just found out about it but the Giants and AFL had already investigated it from last year. If there was anything in it Lachie and any management involved would of been long gone.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I find it hilarious reading the threads in scandals and rumours and on the drug boards. Doesn't matter if there's actually nothing in it, doesn't matter if he's innocent - it will be an AFL cover up to protect the golden boy from the love child club.

Can't win.

I find it hilarious reading the threads in scandals and rumours and on the drug boards. Doesn't matter if there's actually nothing in it, doesn't matter if he's innocent - it will be an AFL cover up to protect the golden boy from the love child club.

Can't win.
I lost interest when the article said the club self reported. Gotta say I would never go to another clubs board and start a thread, maybe it's the old fashioned manners thing.

942aca45803d34879e17448be53c9c11.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richard Igns just on SEN made it very clear this has nothing to do ASADA and is just an AFL issue illicit drug policy so worse situation for Whitfield is a strike if the AFL considers the evidence strong enough.

That's how I read it too. The rest of the article was tenuously drawn lines just to amp up the headlines.

That's how I read it too. The rest of the article was tenuously drawn lines just to amp up the headlines.

Yep and here is the actually audio of Ings and it quickly becomes clear how much the articles have overblown the whole story

Listen to the stuttering interview that the "journo" gave on SEN this morning.

What a gibbering fool.

Half the guys in the AFL will have popped a pill, snorted a line or smoked a joint in their life spans. It gets my goat when you see the media criticising them for these things, especially when retired AFL players criticise in the media, when some of them have done the exact same things. Drop out of a prelim final and have a big night out in Melbourne for example, happened before. Sounds like a pretty ordinary thing but the media want to make it into the next big story. :thumbsdown:

To summarise:
1. the tip-off from the member of public ended up being his ex-girlfriend
2. it involves illicit drugs, so not an ASADA/WADA matter, so zero possibility of a ban of any description
3. even ASADA has left it to the AFL to worry about it - so little is their care factor.

The miracle here is that anyone bothered taking it seriously - should have been thrown in the waste-paper basket from the outset.

Been working and only just read that short piece on afl website and what is on this page.

To make clear - avoiding an illicit drugs test results in a strike (at worst) and not a (maximum) 2 year ban?

If this is the case then storm in a tea cup stuff. Hopefully this can all be knocked on the head this week and hopefully someone will do something stupid in Melbourne this week and we all move on.

Common sense would say that the 2 year ban would be dealt from ASADA/WADA for avoiding a doping test?

Been working and only just read that short piece on afl website and what is on this page.

To make clear - avoiding an illicit drugs test results in a strike (at worst) and not a (maximum) 2 year ban?

If this is the case then storm in a tea cup stuff. Hopefully this can all be knocked on the head this week and hopefully someone will do something stupid in Melbourne this week and we all move on.

Common sense would say that the 2 year ban would be dealt from ASADA/WADA for avoiding a doping test?

Avoiding an ASADA test is the two to four year ban.

There's no indication that's in play other than an implication in the original article.

It would be funny if Lachie actually "pulled a stray" the night in question, stayed at her place and subsequently, made up this story so his ex stopped asking questions about his whereabouts.

Imagine if that was what happened.

This "reporter" would have lost whatever credibility he had before writing this article in the first place.

The file must of fallen down the back of the couch at AFL house, pretty shithouse the club does everything right, conducts their own investigation, finds no wrongdoing and then hands it over to these clowns and a year later they havent finalised it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back