Travel The Hangar Travel Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Dammit, I knew I'd leave one country out. Yeah I've been to Ireland. Only for a week though going Dublin, Galway, Aran Islands and Connemara. Highlight being Guinness. Too far away for us anyway at this point.

Sth East Asia was to be my next adventure if I'd remained single a bit longer. Only had the Bali experience so far where I steered well clear of Kuta with our 4 yr old. But it was great otherwise.

maybe Borneo/Sabah and the orangutan sancutary is the go? good beaches, good snorkeling, mountain walking and primates for the kiddies? and its close.

I'd think Vietnam or Cambodia for kids plus going somewhere interesting.
Have you been to Laos? Is Thailand a bit too touristic in contrast. Have been told it's a much easier experience with kids in Thailand but Im guessing there are better cultural experiences in neighbouring countries.

My partner Dosent like to take them anywhere you can't drink the tap water, that eliminates a lot of good places. I've always wanted to see Adelaide...
I wouldn't drink the water there if I were you. It only takes one Crow-eater to contaminate the water and it becomes wholly tainted.

Have you been to Laos? Is Thailand a bit too touristic in contrast. Have been told it's a much easier experience with kids in Thailand but Im guessing there are better cultural experiences in neighbouring countries.
I have. Had its moments but not sure it's so family friendly - no beaches, for example. I haven't been to Thailand, but my feeling is it's very geared towards tourism so would be more kid-friendly, but potentially less interesting for you.

If you just want an easy beach/resort holiday with a day trip to see some ruins or monkeys the options are wide open though.

Meat in meat sauce for every course of every meal. World's best mangoes and they'd rather eat bags of deep fried pigskin.
That might challenge my vegetarian leanings. Last time I ate chook was in 2003 in the Andes when we stopped at a hut on a trek and the only thing offered by the cook was chicken legs. So, I will do it at a real pinch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite what my Big Footy name might imply I'm not against the consumption of eggs. I do prefer the flavour of uneggs though...
I just thought you must really like United Nations eggs.

So, I leave for Japan in under two months (yay).

Staying in Tokyo and Osaka, planning on heading over to Kyoto and Hiroshima while we are staying in Osaka.

Also booked into Disneyland, Disney Sea, Univeral Studios and planning on spending a day at Akihabara.

Anyone else got some good suggestions? :)

So, I leave for Japan in under two months (yay).

Staying in Tokyo and Osaka, planning on heading over to Kyoto and Hiroshima while we are staying in Osaka.

Also booked into Disneyland, Disney Sea, Univeral Studios and planning on spending a day at Akihabara.

Anyone else got some good suggestions? :)
Ghibli Museum is worth the visit: http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/

OK, so HK with kids...like most cities, HK is probably better for older kids, say above 6 because, in my experience, younger kids just need a playground or park to be happy and are less receptive of new experiences. They get tired. Having said that, if you and your kids are into cities, HK is kid friendly in the sense that people are very accommodating of kids. You will often see young kids out at dinner with their extended families at 10pm.

Some things to do with kids:

Ocean Park and HK Disneyland. (In my view, Ocean Park is infinitely better) for theme parks.
HK Park aviary (just behind Pacific Place) - free
ferries to outlying islands (Cheung Chau was a particular favourite, short flat easy walk to beach on other side of island). Lamma also worth a day trip or a sea food meal for dinner. You could also go to Macau for the day - about an hour hydrofoil trip - or overnight.
Star Ferry trip across the harbour to Tsim Sha Tsui. There are two or three museums an easy walk from ferry. My kids really liked the history museum. Science museum across the plaza.
Ride a tram (about HKD2.5 per fare). Can get on and off (new fare each time) if kids get restless or you see anything worth exploring.
Largest outdoor escalator in the world (free). Goes down in the morning, up after 10 am (I think)
If weather is bad (very hot and humid in northern summer) there are big mall experiences - ice skating, games arcades etc. Festival Walk, The Elements and Taikoo Shing are some of the biggest. Avoid Tung Chung - lots of buses from the mainlands shopping.
Wet markets are interesting (my favourite, Graham St is in the process of being redeveloped)
Bus to Stanley, sit on top deck at front. Tourist market (some good ski gear can sometimes be found) at Stanley.
Probably not suitable for a 3 year old, but if you go in the cooler months (Nov, Dec,Jan, Feb) the hiking can be excellent. Google the Dragon's Back across HK island.
Peak Tram (level easy walk around the Peak)
dim sum at City Hall

My friends organise this space in Central: http://www.cvm.com.hk/en/home/ which is a good resource if you are planning a visit.

Last edited:
anyone remmeber me posting about my workmates dad in chicago?

fell over and hit his head - ened up in hospital for months pretty much on life support ect ect. Travel insurance refused to pay because he had alcohol in the system.

He came home last week, the bill totalled $1.2 million...not helped by the fact they booked the entire back row of a commercial plane to have him in!! (wouldnt first clas be cheaper?)

anyways hes in rehab and doing well, but, the bill! 1.2 mill...

guess who paid? youll never believe it, as a last resport they contacted their credit card company - which has free insurance attached. No word of a lie, they have agreed to pay!

so you fork out all this money on travel insurance who wouldnt stump, then this free add on thing that nobody even knows about attached to a credit card does?

could blow me over with a feather! ...must be some kind of good will involved here.

I can't wait to visit La Sagrada Familia.
Oh yes, as a prequel before I bore you all with my holiday...

This. La Sagrada Familia is without a doubt one of the most stunning buildings I've ever seen. I will say this, it must take a very skilled photographer with a very good camera to do it even faint justice, because no photo I'd ever seen of it came even close to preparing me for just what an incredible sight it is from the outside when you're actually there in person.

And then, of course, you go inside and get wowed all over again.

Gaudi is incredible. It really is completely unlike any other architectural style I've seen.

Oh yes, as a prequel before I bore you all with my holiday...

This. La Sagrada Familia is without a doubt one of the most stunning buildings I've ever seen. I will say this, it must take a very skilled photographer with a very good camera to do it even faint justice, because no photo I'd ever seen of it came even close to preparing me for just what an incredible sight it is from the outside when you're actually there in person.

And then, of course, you go inside and get wowed all over again.

Gaudi is incredible. It really is completely unlike any other architectural style I've seen.

Seems like he was always trying to build like mother nature would, very organic and earthy. Reckon he would have been the best architect of the cave man era

Remove this Banner Ad

Back