Music The Hangar Music Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep big fan here!
Which album is your favorite? De-Loused is my favorite and most listened to album, but Francis the Mute and Amputechture are really growing on me in a big way (I'm a huge fan of John Theodore's drumming!). Bedlam in Goliath is next on the cards, not a fan of Thomas Prigden's drumming but I will overlook it :D

Had a couple of songs pop up on random from Karnivool's album Themata yesterday. It still blows my mind how good this album is. I can't believe they are a Perth band and I haven't managed to see them. Was told a story about how they were billed to support Tool for their Perth show years ago and Maynard happened to hear them doing soundcheck and demanded they be cut because they sounded too much like them. Not sure if the story is 100% true but they were on the bill and then weren't just hours before the gig.
That album is something else and with the quality of their live performances and being local, their could be an element of truth to the Maynard story

Which album is your favorite? De-Loused is my favorite and most listened to album, but Francis the Mute and Amputechture are really growing on me in a big way (I'm a huge fan of John Theodore's drumming!). Bedlam in Goliath is next on the cards, not a fan of Thomas Prigden's drumming but I will overlook it :D
I have a love/hate thing with Mars Volta. Some of their stuff is VERY difficult to listen to and some of it is just pure genius. How can you not like Pridgens drumming? The guy is ******* amazing! I think Goliath is my favourite song off Bedlam.

Deloused I guess is the one I listen too most because it's on my phone.

I remember I used to like at the drive in...then I heard this album, went back and tried at the drive in...I just couldnt do it anymore! Was like watered down nothing in comparison...

I remember the first time I ever heard it, I was working in London and the saffa Mailroom guy had eclectic music taste, he had track One on and it had that foreboding menace thing going on then it kicks into track two with the flail of drums and I'm like. Yes. I need this.

Then I learnt of the concept nature if it, being about the bloke transcending into a coma on rat poison and what not... Made it even better!

We ended up going to see them live a few weeks later, I reckon it went for maybe 2 and a half hours, without gap or pause, just a long crazy jam of maybe 3 songs I could recognise but you just couldnt take your eyes off them, just going off on intricate tangents. Best.

I listen to Frances the mute and ampechture sometimes but I never really have an urge to put them on, but I'll never skip them when it comes on the shuffle Play, if you know what I mean. Always gets my attention.

But nothing compares to deloused for me.

Their last album is really good too!

I think I have most of their stuff as well as Scabdates (the live album) but I mostly listen when they come up on random on the phone so I have a really bad sense of what song is from what album. Howard Moon I am jealous you got to see them live. That would have been amazing.

They played a couple of big day outs in the early 2000s. I never heard them before the BDO and the stage they played wasn't kind to them, terrible acoustics there. I never really bothered to listen to them after that.

I think I have most of their stuff as well as Scabdates (the live album) but I mostly listen when they come up on random on the phone so I have a really bad sense of what song is from what album. Howard Moon I am jealous you got to see them live. That would have been amazing.

didnt say a word either!

no hello, no how are you, no thanks for coming

jusk walked out, played for over two horus stright - then walked off.

normally a crowd would you know be moving about, dancing, talking.. this was odd, just people standing almost transfixed

didnt say a word either!

no hello, no how are you, no thanks for coming

jusk walked out, played for over two horus stright - then walked off.

normally a crowd would you know be moving about, dancing, talking.. this was odd, just people standing almost transfixed

They were like that at BDO too, walk out, play, walk off. I always hated seeing bands on the stage they played as, unless you knew what you were listening too, the acoustics made it sound almost like a wall of noise. Probably due to that first impression I never really gave them a chance.

If you guys like them, then you'll like Thee Oh Sees. Easily my fav band over the past 4 years. They aren't prog though, more psych/punk. The lead guitarist who writes everything is just a machine.

Two recent ones. But if you want to get into them and do a bit of a backtrack, start with an album called Help.

I wish I could watch vids at work..

Haha damn! These guys are right up your alley. They can do anything. Heavy, fun, even a few emotional tracks. But they always manage to just make it crazy. They leave a few mistakes in their recordings, leaving it pretty raw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listening to Pearl Jam - Ten at the moment.

It's one of those albums that bands would both love and hate to release. They'd love it as it gives them instant recognition as geniuses, they'd hate it as their debut sets a benchmark for their career that is nigh on impossible to top.

It's timeless, I love it.

Listening to Pearl Jam - Ten at the moment.

It's one of those albums that bands would both love and hate to release. They'd love it as it gives them instant recognition as geniuses, they'd hate it as their debut sets a benchmark for their career that is nigh on impossible to top.

It's timeless, I love it.

May be controversial but I don't listen to the original anymore, I listen to the 20th anniversary remix. It sounds so much better, they even said they were unhappy with the mix originally. You can really hear the jangles of the guitars and the tones of Eddie's voice. Recommend!

May be controversial but I don't listen to the original anymore, I listen to the 20th anniversary remix. It sounds so much better, they even said they were unhappy with the mix originally. You can really hear the jangles of the guitars and the tones of Eddie's voice. Recommend!

Haven't listened to it, will have to hunt it down.

And yet they did with the very next album!

It's a debate I have with a mate at least once a year. He's pro-Versus, I'm pro-Ten, but we both recognise we're splitting hairs.

Haven't listened to it, will have to hunt it down.

It's a debate I have with a mate at least once a year. He's pro-Versus, I'm pro-Ten, but we both recognise we're splitting hairs.
I think we're just lucky that a band could release two such great albums back to back. I love them both!

I think we're just lucky that a band could release two such great albums back to back. I love them both!

Yep, kind of like The Bends vs OK Computer when it comes to Radiohead. Both awesome, I choose The Bends, but I don't have an issue with anyone who rates OK Computer the better album.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back