Port Adelaide's China game strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will lead to interest and exposure the Chinese academy and Port will sign the "Jeremy Lin of the AFL". When the parents see the odds of making it as an AFL player compared to other sports they will stop coaching their 3 year olds tennis 8 times a week and force them into AFL.

Why do we think the game needs to be "international"? Just concentrate on Australia, get the new generation of kids into the game and promote the game aggressively within migrant communities and all will be sweet.

We don't want the game to become global with players earning as much in a week as they now earn in a year, they'll all be strutting around like self entitled, pretentious snobs staging for free kicks ah la European soccer players and Buddy yesterday.

So Port can feel relevant for a week
C'mon champ, leave that kind of drivel for the bay.
The most obvious counterpoint to your position of relevance being that Port have won a premiership in the AFL. There are many other reason leading to Port being relevant on a week-to-week basis, and your type of comment only leads to disparaging comments about the relative success and relevance of your own club.
If you keep the tone of comment within spirit of the main board, I am sure threads worthy of meaning discussion will thrive and lesser threads will either or be sent elsewhere.
Back to the topic!

C'mon champ, leave that kind of drivel for the bay.
The most obvious counterpoint to your position of relevance being that Port have won a premiership in the AFL. There are many other reason leading to Port being relevant on a week-to-week basis, and your type of comment only leads to disparaging comments about the relative success and relevance of your own club.
If you keep the tone of comment within spirit of the main board, I am sure threads worthy of meaning discussion will thrive and lesser threads will either or be sent elsewhere.
Back to the topic!
Oh sorry it's because Port want to "grow the game".

Would be nice if Port cared enough to give a home game up for it though. Obviously they aren't that committed to the cause.

It's just shameless self promotion at the end of the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Money, essentially. We've made something like $6mil from our china venture. The game is a showcase for all the hard work we've put in over there.
$6M real Australian dollars?

If this were true, you will end up with a huge profit this year... which I have my doubts. ;)

$6M real Australian dollars?

If this were true, you will end up with a huge profit this year... which I have my doubts. ;)
Yep. No source provided whatsoever. Let's just trust what he said..

Would be nice if Port cared enough to give a home game up for it though. Obviously they aren't that committed to the cause.

Football does not exist in a vacuum. Port Adelaide, like many other clubs in the AFL, is part of the community. It does not exist outside of the problems, successes and challenges of the community in which we operate.

The Port Adelaide / China partnership (as far as I am aware) is the sporting vehicle used to deliver wider programs of cultural exchange; business and investment opportunities; international recognition and friendship; and other elements. A number of other delivery systems outside of the China / Port Adelaide partnership are used to this end in South Australia and more broadly throughout Australia.

There are obvious benefits to Port Adelaide, some of then coming at the expense of the GC suns, that have been widely acknowledged. But again, footy does not exist in isolation, and the benefits outside of football have the potential to offset the impairment to GC Suns and the AFL (if they haven't already).

There is an opportunity here. It would foolish not to embrace the opportunity. At the moment Port Adelaide does seem to get the lions share of the AFL based benefit, however that doesn't mean there are not benefits to others.

Last edited:
On the back of this article I have to ask what is the benefit from this game?

Have they even secured a tv deal for it in China yet? Last week they hadn't.

If you want sponsors, pay for their flight here.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/gol...s/news-story/9bec2b77b06421a6ea6f8aee393cd8c5

The game needs new sources of funding .... gambling advertising on the way out, the ability of FTA TV to pay the sort of money for the TV rights in question by the money men, 10 on the rocks ..... $$$s, $$$$$s is the benefit Adz !!

We can't give up a home game due to the contract at Adelaide Oval.

Maybe you will get the chance to play Port in China one day :rainbow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back