Port Adelaide's China game strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So around $6M+ revenue & $4M costs... so we would expect it will improve your bottom line by $2M+

Will look forward to reading your accounts...
I know the whole Port / Crows thing but for someone from SA I am surprised it isn't put to bed for the good of the state. Port were almost financially ruined. Worse than reported. SA economy is to the shit and it needs money. If the China thing turns out positively and overseas investors actually understand 'what is an Adelaide' it could be good for the state in general. If it flops what harm is done? You get to laugh at us. It's a win win for you guys.

Because Port are obsessed with gimmicks like this, never tear us apart, established 1870 etc.

Led by Kochie some of the biggest bathwater drinkers going around the AFL tbh. Just play some decent football consistently, leave the gimmicks till later.

I know right? We should forego playing in a city with a population greater than Australia, where we have kids playing the game as part of their school curriculum, and concentrate on expanding to a country with a population about the size of Melbourne like your trailblazing club.

How did that work out for you, by the way? I hear it was a short lived venture, like your flirtation with winning the flag.

I know right? We should forego playing in a city with a population greater than Australia, where we have kids playing the game as part of their school curriculum, and concentrate on expanding to a country with a population about the size of Melbourne like your trailblazing club.

How did that work out for you, by the way? I hear it was a short lived venture, like your flirtation with winning the flag.
Was dead against and will continue to be dead against any St Kilda efforts to expand in NZ. Pointless, just like this game.

Koch is a flog and gets far too pleased with himself far too easily.

Our game is so great, think of the joy it brings in this country, yet so many are so quick to shoot it down when they try something to spread that joy.

A few little wins for this great game would be nice, so for the game, I hope its a huge success.
More Sherrins & less violins under Christmas trees.

one thing is for certain, it's puts an end to the 'We Exist To Win Premierships' bullshit, because no professional sporting club with their eyes 100% focused on winning a flag would fly their squad 7,500 km in the middle of the season to a city with such notoriously bad air pollution that Gold Coast have said they aren't taking any players who suffer asthma. Port Adelaide exist to further Kochie's ego -

Six years ago we were barely just existing, let alone to win premierships.

The China strategy is first and foremost about creating business relationships to help secure the financial future of the Club. More money equals more resources, which helps us to be more competitive and increases our chances of winning premierships.

Seriously how is this basic stuff eluding people?

Why Sydney in 1982?

Why Brisbane and West Coast in 1987?

Why Adelaide in 1991?

Why Fremantle in 1995?

Why Port Adelaide in 1997?

Why Gold Coast in 2011?

Why GWS in 2012?

Because you have to grow to survive, that's why.

Because we need more of them coming here inflating our property prices and buying all our businesses.

Six years ago we were barely just existing, let alone to win premierships.

The China strategy is first and foremost about creating business relationships to help secure the financial future of the Club. More money equals more resources, which helps us to be more competitive and increases our chances of winning premierships.

Seriously how is this basic stuff eluding people?

It's a win / win for Port you are using other clubs money to do it, I would have a crack to. You don't contribute to the equalisation fund you receive from it

The whole disturbing thing about the China thing is GC are giving themselves less chance of making the finals by moving a game from their home ground, the AFL could possibly only force a few clubs to do it and would only choose clubs who have no supporters. Adelaide supporters would go spare if the AFC said we are playing a home game elsewhere but they aren't that dumb and the fact it could affect your finals aspirations, you would think that is what it is all about to win the flag.

Which leads you to port is it more advantage to have a crack at the flag by playing an opponent at their home ground in QLD or have to travel 15 hours to China and back mid season. I guess only time will tell on how playing overseas mid season will affect the team. If it doesn't haven't any affect and it is more advantageous to play over there then it's the correct decision if not then it will show money is more important, than we exist to win premierships lip service that is said

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Money, essentially. We've made something like $6mil from our china venture. The game is a showcase for all the hard work we've put in over there.
Is there a breakdown of this $6m, who/where it's come from, how it's to be used, where it's to be spent?

I would say that the following clubs would consider playing a game in China for various reasons.

Giants
North
Melbourne
Bulldogs

Bulldogs would make more from a game in China than selling their home game to Ballarat.

North and Melbourne have sold numerous games throughout the years.

Typical Port attitude , coming From the top being the show bag prez, it's more about the gimmicks and the cash and not about we exist to win premierships. None of those supporters from those clubs would agree with you

Lol. We simply pass on Hawthorn and Collingwoods pokie money to the likes of Glenelg and pay for David Shipways lunch Bill.

So why do you think other clubs who pay you their hard earned would question how you spend it on a junket to China? Whilst you have your hand squarely out looking for more

Typical Port attitude , coming From the top being the show bag prez, it's more about the gimmicks and the cash and not about we exist to win premierships. None of those supporters from those clubs would agree with you
Those supporters would agree with me if it helped with the long term survival of their footy club.

Far out; you are anti Port Adelaide on everything.

6 years ago Leigh Whicker tells us to grow the pie and get away from the 5015 postcode mentality.

Heaven forbid we try new things and explore other revenue streams to improve our football department.

So why do you think other clubs who pay you their hard earned would question how you spend it on a junket to China? Whilst you have your hand squarely out looking for more
You do realise that the whole China strategy is being subsidised by the Chinese businessman?

You do realise that the whole China strategy is being subsidised by the Chinese businessman?

Seriously the club have talked about underwriting, be careful of the Chinese they offer the world but when it comes to delivering and paying up, it isn't a done deal with them until the money is in the bank

But that's just being pessimistic but mark my words on that one

It's definetly a whats in it for me, with the Chinese and logic says there isn't much in it for them

Those supporters would agree with me if it helped with the long term survival of their footy club.

Far out; you are anti Port Adelaide on everything.

6 years ago Leigh Whicker tells us to grow the pie and get away from the 5015 postcode mentality.

Heaven forbid we try new things and explore other revenue streams to improve our football department.

Now this is gold, is this pot calling the kettle black

I'm anti port and you're not anti crows

Hypocrites do live, at least I'm honest about my dislike

Including the cost of the Oval redevelopment cost, travel & accommodation for both sides & payment to Gold Coast?

So the AFL or Government are not paying anything towards this venture?

lol Marty

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...a/news-story/3e937761e7a785fef9c72722d4b0283d

Four years ago, Port Adelaide was accused of sucking the blood out of the AFL,” Koch told The Advertiser on Monday, referring to the Power’s tag as a “have not” AFL club relying on league hand-outs to clear suffocating debt.

Now we’ve been bold and innovative. We’re trying something new and we’re being hit again,” added Koch.

I can’t answer for how Gold Coast arranged its travel,” he said.

“We have established a great partnership with Cathay Pacific – and they have taken care of the needs of our playing group.

And we can’t control the weather here in Australia, let alone in China.
“We are a professional sporting code – and professional sporting teams do travel the world. We want to bring that professionalism to the AFL.”

Club chief executive Keith Thomas is in negotiations with five new partners in China, where the Power is seeking financial backers to ensure it never again goes on the AFL welfare list.
he Advertiser understands at least three other AFL clubs are eager to replace Gold Coast in any match in China

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back