News Crows buy professional eSports team - Update: SOLD

Remove this Banner Ad

They could turn AFL Evolution into an esports game, the winner is who can last the longest before smashing the controller.
I was just thinking maybe we can pay Gold Coast $500k to buy their home game and then have both club captains play the match on AFL Evolution instead of in real life....

We will be nice and let them "wear" their home jumper.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I was just thinking maybe we can pay Gold Coast $500k to buy their home game and then have both club captains play the match on AFL Evolution instead of in real life....

We will be nice and let them "wear" their home jumper.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hahahahahahaha

Could also be played in front of a "sold out" crowd of 10,000 fans and 20,000 empty seats.

Do we need to recruit some gun players to make this team successful on the world stage, or will there be organic growth?

Depends what you consider successful.

Currently, a South Korean team has won nearly every event in the last 4 years. For LoL specifically, korean players are imported all over the world because they have always been seen as better players with better work ethic because gaming has been in their culture for 10+ years.

But organic growth is needed. There is import limits. You have to have 3 players out of the 5 as native residents.

Regardless, being successful on the world stage for alot of teams means not much. Obviously the end goal is to win, but teams make a ton of money through sponsorship because of how popular they are, that it's still profitable.

How do I play and how do I beat these nerds. I drink beer, but happy to drink a few mothers.
Can you take performance enhancing drugs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

the meta is defined by a depth of awareness of strategy...

the tactical analysis of AFL commentators is a monkey's take on it compared to what the chief tacticians across all the clubs would be doing, same thing in e-sports.
You're not wrong. I just find the difference between the actual strategic depth and the analysis to be more stark. I think its largely because most e-sports lack the natural gaps in play of real sports for some light explanation.

I do think theres a lack of awareness of how strategy in real sports evolved over the time in the discussion of "The Meta" for most games and it's mostly around what changes the developers should make, much like the worst aspects of the AFL with the constant rule changes.

Do we need to recruit some gun players to make this team successful on the world stage, or will there be organic growth?

Pfft fat chance of recruiting a gun. We'll have a hard enough time just holding on to the players we've already got.

How do I play and how do I beat these nerds. I drink beer, but happy to drink a few mothers.
Can you take performance enhancing drugs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
League of Legends is free, you pay for access to characters (there are 136) and cosmetic changes or are limited to a rotating set of free ones.

To win you click your mouse faster than anybody over 18 possibly can

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, I'll put my hand up for recruitment. I must say I was an absolute gun at Asteroids.

Oh and that moon lander thingy.

:thumbsu::thumbsu:
I found Carmen Sandiego several times

What you guys have bought is essentially a brand. eSports is an industry that is expanding exponentially, and none bigger than League of Legends. It's an extremely popular video game that shows no signs of slowing down. As of 2016, the game had 100 million monthly players. A world championship display managed to attract 36 million viewers; the NBA finals of the Cavaliers vs Golden State Warriors only got 31 million.

Australia isn't really competitive in the international scene but that's irrelevant. Now when broadcast, the name Adelaide Crows will be advertised across a global platform. If the bought team does make it far on the international stage, there is both advertisement and monetary gain to be had.

A very smart move here from a marketing perspective.

Last edited:
Like professional SuperCoach or do we recruit millenials to play on our team with their game consoles?
imagine "owning" a player on the pro tennis circuit, except instead of being one person its a team and they play computer games.

this particular type of game has a lot more depth than you might imagine, its not just a bunch of kids swearing at each other playing a shoot 'em up on Xbox live.

You're not wrong. I just find the difference between the actual strategic depth and the analysis to be more stark. I think its largely because most e-sports lack the natural gaps in play of real sports for some light explanation.

I do think theres a lack of awareness of how strategy in real sports evolved over the time in the discussion of "The Meta" for most games and it's mostly around what changes the developers should make, much like the worst aspects of the AFL with the constant rule changes.
is that more specifically in reference to LoL? I watched the inaugural Dota 2 invitational and I thought the commentary was excellent and covered all sorts of details. Before that I used to watch a bit of Starcraft and that was equally good, although you have a little more down-time there to assess what each player is doing.

I was actually thinking the exact same thing about the way things change after a patch and how it compares to the AFL screwing around with the rules lol. At least in eSports you don't have the umpires as middlemen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back