Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it a lot quicker and more efficient at AO.

Trains, Trams and buses instead of everyone waiting for the bus or stuck in the one carpark.

Not to mention the bus I now get home is a lot more direct so barely drive in now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Problem with the trains is that they stop all stations. Ideally, for the Gawler line for example, it'd be express to Mawson Lakes then all stations, or only stop at Mawson, Salisbury, Elizabeth, Smithfield and Gawler.

Just saw how short those behind posts were! Wow they were were short!
You're lucky you saw them. Red posts was a dumb idea, with the red ball you can't tell which side of the post the ball went and at night you can't see the post against dark backrounds.

Given the pitches are drop-in this is a non-issue IMO. They've only had a few pitches lad for D/N Tests so that's even easier. Two weeks is also ample time to settle the grass back down from the footballers' boots - the AO soccer pitch for the Socceroos game the other night was smooth as a bowling green with less turnaround from the last AFL match.
November is quite late for this series though - hasn't it usually been played in October or early November?

Given the pitches are drop-in this is a non-issue IMO. They've only had a few pitches lad for D/N Tests so that's even easier. Two weeks is also ample time to settle the grass back down from the footballers' boots - the AO soccer pitch for the Socceroos game the other night was smooth as a bowling green with less turnaround from the last AFL match.
November is quite late for this series though - hasn't it usually been played in October or early November?

The last couple have been pushed out to November.

When they were revived in 1998, they started about 2 weeks after the Grand Final. Then in 2000, the All-Ireland final had a replay so Ireland had a depleted team for the first test as a result, and they got out to the end of October (I recall the 2005 test at Etihad being on the weekend before the Melbourne Cup). Then when we were sending out piss-take teams in the early 2010's, they got pushed out even further to mid-late November.

As for having the IR at Adelaide - I'm all for it. Hasn't been played in Adelaide since 2001 so it might get a reasonable turnout. The surface will be fine - a few footballers won't damage the surface as much as, say, an Adele concert. Also, unlike the Gabba, Adelaide Oval have responsible ground staff that won't go out of their way to sabotage the surface.

When the grass surface is used for sport it's always going to suffer less damage than when it's used as a base for plastic matting, loads of people, and tonnes of staging equipment :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shouldn't Sutherland be focusing on getting a new CBA so he doesn't lock out the cricketers?

Oh no they'll have to move a Sheild Match to Glenelg (it's not like they never play there's) or schedule around it.

One must assume though that IR pitches aren't necessarily the "145 x 90m" dimensions listed (albeit as "approximately") in the Laws of the Game (http://www.gaa.ie/mm//Document/MyGA...3/LawsofInternationalFootball2014_English.pdf), given I'm pretty sure this wouldn't fit on our AFL ovals.

145 x 90m would fit into every Australian oval.

"The AFL’s shortest venue is the 152.5m long Sydney Cricket Ground, which is a cricket pitch shorter than Perth’s Paterson’s Stadium (175m). Geelong’s Simonds Stadium is the narrowest AFL venue (115m wide).

AFL venue sizes
Adelaide Oval: 167 x 124
Melbourne Cricket Ground: 160 x 141
Eithad Stadium (Melbourne): 159.5 x 128.8
Simonds Stadium (Geelong): 170 x 115
Sydney Cricket Ground: 152.5 x 136
Skoda Stadium (Sydney): 164 x 127.5
ANZ Stadium (Sydney): 160 x 118
Gabba (Brisbane): 156 x 138
Metricon Stadium (Gold Coast): 161 x 134
Patersons Stadium (Perth): 175 x 122 

Blundstone Arena (Hobart): 160 x 124"

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2014-02-04/oval-retains-unique-size

145 x 90m would fit into every Australian oval.

"The AFL’s shortest venue is the 152.5m long Sydney Cricket Ground, which is a cricket pitch shorter than Perth’s Paterson’s Stadium (175m). Geelong’s Simonds Stadium is the narrowest AFL venue (115m wide).

AFL venue sizes
Adelaide Oval: 167 x 124 78m
Melbourne Cricket Ground: 160 x 141 80m
Eithad Stadium (Melbourne): 159.5 x 128.8 (unable to measure due to roof)
Simonds Stadium (Geelong): 170 x 115 87m
Sydney Cricket Ground: 152.5 x 136 77m (IR goal line would be at the top of the AFL goal square)
Skoda Stadium (Sydney): 164 x 127.5 73m
ANZ Stadium (Sydney): 160 x 118 (unable to measure due to roof)
Gabba (Brisbane): 156 x 138 67m
Metricon Stadium (Gold Coast): 161 x 134 76m
Domain Stadium (Perth): 175 x 122 88m
Blundstone Arena (Hobart): 160 x 124" 65m

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2014-02-04/oval-retains-unique-size
I think you're forgetting the fact that the oval has to be at least 90m wide, 70m each side of the centre-line. That's where we'll run into trouble. The grounds are all wide enough in the centre (where the above measurements are taken from) but I've added the width of these ovals at the point where the goal-line would be for IR in red above (based off Google maps so approximate). Even Subiaco is too narrow by that point.

So I'm guessing whenever games have been played in Australia the pitch is somewhat smaller than this - in Ireland on the Gaelic Football pitches the 145x90 is fine as that's about standard for their indigenous sport. Bear in mind that rugby league/union pitches are 68/70m wide and 120m long including in-goal areas.

Will the capacity of 54K be too small in 2030?
what options do they have to upgrade in 10 years time?

Options discussed on here include a re-done western stand with capacity and facilities to match the eastern, and replacing the hill with a stand. The usual.

I think you're forgetting the fact that the oval has to be at least 90m wide, 70m each side of the centre-line. That's where we'll run into trouble. The grounds are all wide enough in the centre (where the above measurements are taken from) but I've added the width of these ovals at the point where the goal-line would be for IR in red above (based off Google maps so approximate). Even Subiaco is too narrow by that point.

So I'm guessing whenever games have been played in Australia the pitch is somewhat smaller than this - in Ireland on the Gaelic Football pitches the 145x90 is fine as that's about standard for their indigenous sport. Bear in mind that rugby league/union pitches are 68/70m wide and 120m long including in-goal areas.

Thanks for that, yes you are right. I guess the answer is that the IR rules state that that is the maximum size, and like football and soccer the size of the pitch is variable.

Thanks for that, yes you are right. I guess the answer is that the IR rules state that that is the maximum size, and like football and soccer the size of the pitch is variable.
Technically the "approximate" size. However I think an IR field would need to drop down to about 130x80 to fit, which is quite a lot of "approximate"!

surely they fill in the northern end with a replica of the Riverbank....

i am not one for the old stuff and call me whatever you want, but flick the old scoreboard and fill in that end i say.

surely they fill in the northern end with a replica of the Riverbank....

i am not one for the old stuff and call me whatever you want, but flick the old scoreboard and fill in that end i say.

Can't they just move the scoreboard to Glenelg Oval or whatever ground they play shield matches at? It's not like an old stand where you pretty much have to demolish it, it wouldn't take too much effort to simply move the scoreboard to another location.

Can't they just move the scoreboard to Glenelg Oval or whatever ground they play shield matches at? It's not like an old stand where you pretty much have to demolish it, it wouldn't take too much effort to simply move the scoreboard to another location.

Put it outside the ground or something

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

And bring it back to AO to rightfully preside over the Test each summer :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back