Consumer Electronics Kodi Boxes

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I understand they're a media streaming box that allows you to stream overseas channels.
A friend of mine was telling me about one of these yesterday.

He payed $60 for this box that is supposed to give you any movie or TV show you want, plus heaps of sports.

I'll wait until he complains they don't work anymore.

I guess it depends on the source of the stream and your internet. If changing source doesn't help I'd say it would be your internet.
Yeah ours keeps up fine with 720p but buffers most of the time if we try to watch anything HD. Kind of
sucks but if you have good internet speed you're laughing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's actually an xgody box or similar which has the kodi software installed to allow you to
stream pretty much anything you want.
This. Kodi is a program, not hardware. You can install Kodi on any PC. Kodi itself doesn't have the streaming functionality either, you need to download third party add-ons for that.

The streams are alright for free. Couldn't ever find anything of decent quality for F1 or AFL though. For F1 I used to just use Ace Stream links which were far easier.

Well I just found out that I have a old stream box that has Kodi 16 built into and it won't update so you get buffering and pauses.

I need to buy the new steam box that's out that has Kodi 17 and then it will be ok for a few years.

Turns out that's the downfall of them. Every couple years once Kodi gets updated you have to get a new box.

Has anyone got one and can share their experiences with them?

had Kodi running on my laptop (hdmi to my tv) for a couple years now, don't use it for sport at all but as for TV & Movies, basically everything you might want to watch is there somewhere. It must drive copyright holders nuts. oh & the Kore app for remote control on tablet/phone works well.

I run openelec on a raspberry pi, but mainly just as a pretty interface for all the music and movies I have stored on my server.

Never used it for streaming - which add-ons should I use for that (assuming they work with openelec)?

Couple guys at work have it and love it
Mind you they are Internet newbs and have no idea what a torrent is and think a stream is a literally a small river
I'm guessing if you heave heaps of Internet allocation but don't like torrenting it would be ok
Although the buffering would drive me nuts

I'll stick to a private torrent site myself