• GCS

Votes: 27 15.7%
  • other

Votes: 24 14.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Last edited by a moderator:
This time last year many people talked up Brander to ridiculous levels. I recall reading a quote from somebody at Geelong Grammar as the best talent they have ever seen at the school and this was straight after McCartin went number 1. This kids SANFL debut is pretty decent but when so many highly rated and talked up 17yo's fall off the charts in thier final u/18 year its hard not to be a little bit cautious.

For me he is the proto-type of the tall key forward - A player who displays good agility,cleverness and top notch leading patterns - He is definitely different to the Boyd/McCartin type of tall key forwards.

Curious for those that have watched 17 y/o Brander (who was a strong chance to go #1 this time last year) in comparison to Lukosius?

Looks a very strong prospect but a lot can change in a year.

Curious for those that have watched 17 y/o Brander (who was a strong chance to go #1 this time last year) in comparison to Lukosius?

In 2016, I do not recall any discussion about any 2017 prospects that might have gone early in the 2016 draft had they been available.

The only talk I recall, was that the 2017 draft was supposed to be a tall draft.

No, fairly different.

Brander billed a bit more on potential rather than performance (though is still absolutely a blue chip prospect) and dare I say was inflated on here & in the media to drum up the anti-GWS academy agenda.

Lukosius has put together a number of freakishly dominant games at both U18 and SANFL level (in the finals no less). Don't recall an underager doing that sort of thing since Jack Darling who mostly slid for external reasons in his draft year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, fairly different.

Brander billed a bit more on potential rather than performance (though is still absolutely a blue chip prospect) and dare I say was inflated on here & in the media to drum up the anti-GWS academy agenda.

Lukosius has put together a number of freakishly dominant games at both U18 and SANFL level (in the finals no less). Don't recall an underager doing that sort of thing since Jack Darling who mostly slid for external reasons in his draft year.

Darling has been a Very Good Player but not the Dominate One he was Potentially Showing as a Underager

No, fairly different.

Fair enough- I hadn't seen anything of brander prior to this year so was curious. Some of the threads I read had him as a potential #1. But as you say that probably also has something to do with the GWS connection and the hype built up there.

I'm bullish on what Brander can do; he's got some tools to work with. He also had an unsettled year when you add school, TAC, U18's plus the academy program he was in. So fingers crossed that with a settled program and position that he might be able to really cash in on his potential.

Jack Darling would have made a case for an exemption from the age restrictions. He was physically ready for AFL, but was just sitting in Perth waiting to be drafted - he was basically biding time and didn't work as hard as he did in his junior year. Not that any of that has had any real impact on the player he has become, mind you- he has still developed into a good footballer. I Just think if he went the year earlier he doesn't get into as much off field trouble and could have had an extra 40-50 goals against his name by now.

The pressure will come for Lukosius this year - how he stands up to that will be good to watch. For mine he looks like he could walk into a CHF role already. Look out when he fills out a bit!

Better than Pavlich / Carey?

This lad has the potental to reach great heights , mentoring, development, culture support and of course luck with early injuries will be paramount.
The fact that we have describe and suggested his talents amongst 3 of the greatest KPFs of our game is testament of the lad's ability.
Lukosious and Curnow rampaging in the forward would be an amazing spectacle , I'd be stoked if we could a Blue.

This lad has the potental to reach great heights , mentoring, development, culture support and of course luck with early injuries will be paramount.
The fact that we have describe and suggested his talents amongst 3 of the greatest KPFs of our game is testament of the lad's ability.
Lukosious and Curnow rampaging in the forward would be an amazing spectacle , I'd be stoked if we could a Blue.

You would want to Finish at best Bottom 3 to have a Chance

This lad has the potental to reach great heights given good mentoring, development, culture, and support. The fact that we include him in company of the 3 great KPF of our game is testament of his potential. Injury permitting.
Lukosious and Curnow ravaging, demolishing opposition teams would just amazing. Hope we are so lucky to add him to the team.

Brown and Lukosious would be pretty hand too

Back