Podcasts

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone else really into podcasts?

I remember discovering them when I got my first iPod. Then forget about them and have gotten back into them the last 12 months or so.

They're a great way to pass time and I honestly think they're a great way to improve your knowledge.

I've been listening to a few NBA related ones for a while. Russell Brand's podcasts have some interesting guests and Brand is someone worth listening to. Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History looks back on history and gives you some insightful new takes.

So who listens to podcasts and what do you listen to that you'd recommend?

Just listen to one at the moment. An American History Podcast with a sprinkle of Australian History by 2 comedians, Dave Anthony and Gary Reynolds called The Dollop. Quite entertaining

I mostly listen to History and Crime podcasts these days.

Mike Duncan's Revolutions and History of Rome are amazing. I've also grown to appreciate Dan Carlin more, his 6 hr epic on Caesar's conquest of Gaul was brilliant.
I support Casefile on Patreon because it's just that good. Their series on the East Area Rapist is captivating. I don't mind Sword and Scale, but not all the case types interest me, so I tend to pick and choose which ones I listen to. Surprisingly, Meshel Laurie has a good Australian Crime podcast - she does interviews with former detectives about their cases which gives you a good behind the scenes look at how these cases unfolded, like John Sharpe and the Society Murders.

I also listen to Talking Simpsons, which is going through all the simpsons episodes, covering the background behind the creation and explaining where some of the jokes and references come from. They're about to start Talking Futurama as well, which I'm quite looking forward to.

I mostly listen to History and Crime podcasts these days.

Mike Duncan's Revolutions and History of Rome are amazing. I've also grown to appreciate Dan Carlin more, his 6 hr epic on Caesar's conquest of Gaul was brilliant.
The History of Rome was brilliant. I'm a late comer to Dan Carlin, only picking up the last few months. Having got through the History of Rome I'm now onto The History of Egypt and The History of Ancient Greece. I've also a couple of WW2 history podcasts. I'd rather eat broken glass then listen to anything on Australian history though.

Other than history a few general one's like Stuff You should Know, plus some board game podcasts, D&D podcasts and the Port BigFooty podcast as my token sports one. It's Podcasts I listen to on the way to and from work, as well as when outside doing stuff in the garden or housework (boo) on the weekend. Rarely listen to music or the radio these days.

Joe Rogan Experience
The Fighter & The Kid
This Past Weekend - Theo Von

I'd recommend the latter to anybody looking for a laugh and some interesting takes on the dark arts. Onward.
Have you listened to The Church of whats happening now?

Joe Rogan Experience
The Fighter & The Kid
This Past Weekend - Theo Von

I'd recommend the latter to anybody looking for a laugh and some interesting takes on the dark arts. Onward.

Joe Rogan's is great as an MMA fan, but he has all sorts of random guests on outside of MMA topics. His two with Milo *greek name* are good, apparently Milo's weak point is his religion, Joe had him rattled ha ha

Have you listened to The Church of whats happening now?

Is that Coco's one? Not yet, I feel like Rogan and co. have built him up far too much and his act is lost on me. Same with Chris D'elia and Bill Bur.

Joe Rogan's is great as an MMA fan, but he has all sorts of random guests on outside of MMA topics. His two with Milo *greek name* are good, apparently Milo's weak point is his religion, Joe had him rattled ha ha

Rogan's is great when the guest isn't an expert in bow hunting, paleo diets or some shitty D-grade liberal comic. He definitely riffs best when he's discussing something that he knows (or thinks he knows) considerably less about, otherwise he can be pretty overbearing.

Rogan's is great when the guest isn't an expert in bow hunting, paleo diets or some shitty D-grade liberal comic. He definitely riffs best when he's discussing something that he knows (or thinks he knows) considerably less about, otherwise he can be pretty overbearing.

That's probably true actually. He loves learning shit so he's happy to go deep on stuff he doesn't know anything about. In the Hetfield podcast he mentioned he keeps bees but figured Joe wouldn't give a shit, Joe's like "Oh na let's talk about bees man!" they went on for 45 mins or so, he's such a stoner ha ha

Is that Coco's one? Not yet, I feel like Rogan and co. have built him up far too much and his act is lost on me. Same with Chris D'elia and Bill Bur.
Nah it is Joey Diaz's podcast.

Some shows are good some are bad. It’s like any medium.

What find perplexing is the wanky pseudo-hipsterism around the format, with people who listen to them silently - or in some cases loudly - judging others who don’t.

I mean, did you ever hear somebody say, ‘hey do you watch TV? I love Tv. I’m all about TV’.

Programs, sure, but never the format.

I mean for ****s sake, it’s just recorded radio, guys

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What find perplexing is the wanky pseudo-hipsterism around the format, with people who listen to them silently - or in some cases loudly - judging others who don’t.

I mean, did you ever hear somebody say, ‘hey do you watch TV? I love Tv. I’m all about TV’.

I’ve never heard anybody say that.

But I imagine it’d be to do with the age of the format. I’m sure people were indeed saying that about TV in the 1950s.

Bill Burrs podcast is great, definitely my favourite.
Your Moms House is brilliant if you're just after an easy going silly laugh
Joe Rogan is good but I usually only listen when a guest that interests me is on

The Church of Whats Happening Now is a love or hate it podcast. I love it. Powder that monkey and wash those balls c*cksucker!

"Wah I watch shows and listen to songs. I don't watch TV and listen to radio."

Remind me who the pseudo-hipster is again?

What a weak excuse for a melt.

The Grade Cricketer. Mocks the obsession that people have with sport. With an audience of people who obsess over sport.
Open Floor: SI's NBA Show. General NBA show, hosts have great chemistry.
Breakaway. Related to the above, a well-edited and scripted 40 minute piece on particular aspects of Bball.
Black Men Can't Jump in Hollywood. Premise is that a group of black guys review TV shows and movies through the lens of black advancement in the industry.

Still have Sam Harris/Joe Rogan/etc on my phone but I'm over my pseudo-intellectual phase.

Sorry sir can I help you?

I’d be happy to argue if you can clearly articulate a position.

Half the podcasts these days have a visual aspect to them so you're wrong when you say its just radio.

As for your melt it sounds like you're writing them off because hearing the word podcast bought up triggers you for some reason. At least that's the conclusion I've drawn from your inane dribble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back