TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

I sincerely hope not, the Optus coverage of the Premier League has been world class. The app with chromecast is an absolute ripper!

Can't complain with the content we get with Optus with the EPL, it really is fantastic, beats fox hands down.

It's just the quality of the streaming which needs to improve, which it is slowly.

Optus is s**t, anyone that wants Optus to keep the rights is a moron.

It needs to come back to Foxtel where it isn't relying on internet speeds to run properly.

It needs to come back to Foxtel where it isn't relying on internet speeds to run properly.
Or can watch it perfectly fine with Optus.

I don't care who gets it, I can watch it perfectly either way.

Or can watch it perfectly fine with Optus.

I don't care who gets it, I can watch it perfectly either way.

I can watch it perfectly fine with Optus, on delay, heck my app alerts inform me of a goal before Optus shows it.
A streaming service for sport is a poor concept to a direct live feed. Regardless if you like it.

The day Optus lose the rights will be a good day.

I can watch it perfectly fine with Optus, on delay, heck my app alerts inform me of a goal before Optus shows it.
A streaming service for sport is a poor concept to a direct live feed. Regardless if you like it.

The day Optus lose the rights will be a good day.
The delay is a valid point. I don't normally pay attention to my phone when I'm watching a game.

If Foxtel get the rights back, I'd like to see them launch a digital platform for it, similar to the Optus one. It's awesome having the shows/highlights etc available whenever I want.

The delay is a valid point. I don't normally pay attention to my phone when I'm watching a game.

If Foxtel get the rights back, I'd like to see them launch a digital platform for it, similar to the Optus one. It's awesome having the shows/highlights etc available whenever I want.

Foxtel if they get it will certainly have a lot of options of what to show as well, maybe even a few dedicated channels, FWIW I would think beIN Sports will go hard for the rights in a partnership with Foxtel.

Foxtel if they get it will certainly have a lot of options of what to show as well, maybe even a few dedicated channels, FWIW I would think beIN Sports will go hard for the rights in a partnership with Foxtel.
Would totally be ok with that as well.

Have you seen the FoxLeague app? Good example of what they could do - I just don't know if they'd bother with it.

Would totally be ok with that as well.

Have you seen the FoxLeague app? Good example of what they could do - I just don't know if they'd bother with it.

No I have not.

I think Foxtel would have seen a drop off in A-League interest as well with the loss of the EPL, quite often A-League led into EPL.

For mine BeINSports (in partnership with Foxtel) should get the rights. Foxtel subscribers get 3 channels + access to BeINSports connect.

That way I can go on the BeINSports Connect desktop app and they'd show all the EPL games with several different links like they do for the CL/EL/Championship/Other Leagues.

Based on what? If it's still a silent auction, I don't see how they'd struggle at all.

Could be wrong but I thought Foxtel have previously conceded it's not worth big money for them.

It's been a commercial disaster for Optus. The average fan does not want to have the ability to follow their team tied to being on a contract with Optus for telecommunication products. They've spent a fortune on rights but don't release the statistics for how many new Optus customers sign up for an Optus Sport account and/or viewing statistics. I just don't see them going hard for the rights at all, Bein seems a much more likely candidate backed by Foxtel. At least that way there is no reliance on internet speeds and pretty much anyone can sign up.

Interestingly Singtel tried a similar thing in Singapore and it also backfired on them massively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No I have not.

I think Foxtel would have seen a drop off in A-League interest as well with the loss of the EPL, quite often A-League led into EPL.
I used to watch Aleague all the time when I had FOX. 3 games on a Sunday.

The Saturday night game leading into the early EPL game.

Can say that Ive hardly watched a full A league game since optus got epl and ive got rid of fox.

To be fair though... since ive got rid of fox Ive hardly watched any sport

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's been a commercial disaster for Optus. The average fan does not want to have the ability to follow their team tied to being on a contract with Optus for telecommunication products. They've spent a fortune on rights but don't release the statistics for how many new Optus customers sign up for an Optus Sport account and/or viewing statistics. I just don't see them going hard for the rights at all, Bein seems a much more likely candidate backed by Foxtel. At least that way there is no reliance on internet speeds and pretty much anyone can sign up.

Interestingly Singtel tried a similar thing in Singapore and it also backfired on them massively.

Not sure that's necessarily the case. I suspect they'll have another go at it - it's one the few points of difference versus their competitors.

http://www.afr.com/business/telecom...estment-for-subscriber-growth-20170811-gxu09o

Not sure that's necessarily the case. I suspect they'll have another go at it - it's one the few points of difference versus their competitors.

http://www.afr.com/business/telecom...estment-for-subscriber-growth-20170811-gxu09o

If they credit Optus Sport for the increase in growth why do they not quote statistics for new subscribers who have registered for an Optus Sport account? It appears to me that they would have gotten growth regardless of Optus Sport. Their biggest problem is the availability of EPL streams - football fans aren't going to sign a new mobile phone contract just to get a stream or they will use a mate who has Optus Sport that has no interest in the PL to watch it. I agree that they'll bid again but for a vastly reduced sum. They overpaid massively on the last lot of rights - of that there is no doubt.

What about people who live in a non-cabled area or can't have satellite? Foxtel Now relies on internet speeds too. but as long as you're ok, it doesn't matter?

heck my app alerts inform me of a goal before Optus shows it.

The alerts thing is really a piss-weak argument. Turn them off.

A streaming service is poor, except when it's Foxtel Now or BeIN Sports Connect?

Foxtel are cutting channels as they go atm. Are they going to add dedicated channels for a sport primarily played in the wee hours?

How so?

All game were live on Foxtel too

Red dot games were is shitty SD. Top 6 sides were the only ones guaranteed (90% of the time) HD.

For mine BeINSports (in partnership with Foxtel) should get the rights. Foxtel subscribers get 3 channels + access to BeINSports connect.

That way I can go on the BeINSports Connect desktop app and they'd show all the EPL games with several different links like they do for the CL/EL/Championship/Other Leagues.

BeIN covers 4 leagues already (poorly in most cases) as well as Tennis, Rugby and UCL/UEL. Their Facebook page is littered with as much bitching and moaning as any. If you think they will go anywhere near as comprehensive...well, only if the other leagues are stiffed even more. Also, The Sports Connect access is delayed too...but it's not Optus so overlooked?

BeIN is also like ESPN in many leagues, with no pre-show, half-time or full-time recaps...and prone to changing shows without updating their guide.

I used to watch Aleague all the time when I had FOX. 3 games on a Sunday.

The Saturday night game leading into the early EPL game.

A-League is s**t standard. Dressing it up doesn't help.

I know I get called an Optus shill and an employee and all that bullshit, but seriously, people who think what is on offer now is worse than what Foxtel offered are daft. Aside from a possible 45-60 second delay, the product is miles ahead of Bozza and Robbie and such bullshit.

If they credit Optus Sport for the increase in growth why do they not quote statistics for new subscribers who have registered for an Optus Sport account? It appears to me that they would have gotten growth regardless of Optus Sport. Their biggest problem is the availability of EPL streams - football fans aren't going to sign a new mobile phone contract just to get a stream or they will use a mate who has Optus Sport that has no interest in the PL to watch it. I agree that they'll bid again but for a vastly reduced sum. They overpaid massively on the last lot of rights - of that there is no doubt.

You're moving to England right? You won't even get access to half the games on TV over there, no?

If BeIN gets it, they need to fix the Sports Connect app for Foxtel users so it doesn't log you out all the time...Yes, I have Foxtel (now).

Also, the channels 2+3 need to finally end up on Fetch...BeIN Sports and Foxtel are not one and the same, they are separate businesses.

At least with Fetch, I can record games, unlike on Foxtel Now

And finally, it's more than likely BeIN Sports will return to being subscription based on Foxtel too (as well as Fetch)

What about people who live in a non-cabled area or can't have satellite? Foxtel Now relies on internet speeds too. but as long as you're ok, it doesn't matter?

The alerts thing is really a piss-weak argument. Turn them off.

A streaming service is poor, except when it's Foxtel Now or BeIN Sports Connect?

Foxtel are cutting channels as they go atm. Are they going to add dedicated channels for a sport primarily played in the wee hours?

I couldn't give a stuff about those people. If you're that remote that you can't get cable or satellite then you probably not getting decent internet either.

My alerts are turned off, it was an example to show the delay.

No one has said that the Foxtel and BeIN streaming apps aren't poor, however those apps are the cherry on top of a service provided via cables.
The bread and butter for Foxtel is sports, that is why they are balls deep into Cricket, AFL and NRL, they are the strongest supporter of the A-League, the whole reason they got into bed with BeIN was due to the loss of the EPL. So yeah of course they would add dedicated channels or add an extra one or two from BeIN for the EPL, however they wouldn't even need to, they didn't before when they had the EPL, all games were still shown.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back