The food and wine thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just had a family dinner at Jims Tavern.

Never had a bad meal there.......the place is an institution.

The "of the boat waiters" make me laugh.

Just had a family dinner at Jims Tavern.

Never had a bad meal there.......the place is an institution.

The "of the boat waiters" make me laugh.

CFC, whenever we visit our daughter and her family in Sydney, we eat at the Apollo in Potts Point. Its fantastic with kids, great food and wine, beautiful environment, ticks all the boxes. Most times, they dont even charge for the kids and we still eat far more than we need!

http://www.theapollo.com.au/

CFC, whenever we visit our daughter and her family in Sydney, we eat at the Apollo in Potts Point. Its fantastic with kids, great food and wine, beautiful environment, ticks all the boxes. Most times, they dont even charge for the kids and we still eat far more than we need!

http://www.theapollo.com.au/

I have got a Sydney trip coming up I might have to check it out.

Best Thai food in Australia is in Sydney delicious.

P.S Yesterday at training we had a couple Uni Studies that were doing a thesis on Collingwood and in particular Victoria Park.
Asked all sorts of questions.....when I told them Victoria Park footy was on another level they didn't really understand.
My son also asked me as we were walking to Crown what made it so different. Its very hard to explain to someone if they haven't lived it.
They ended up taking a photo of me and my son......I am going to be a star V P a star I tells ya!! :D

I have got a Sydney trip coming up I might have to check it out.

Best Thai food in Australia is in Sydney delicious.

P.S Yesterday at training we had a couple Uni Studies that were doing a thesis on Collingwood and in particular Victoria Park.
Asked all sorts of questions.....when I told them Victoria Park footy was on another level they didn't really understand.
My son also asked me as we were walking to Crown what made it so different. Its very hard to explain to someone if they haven't lived it.
They ended up taking a photo of me and my son......I am going to be a star V P a star I tells ya!! :D

Very interesting re the uni students. There’s some excellent sources out there on VP, if they look hard enough.

But agree, pretty much impossible to convey what it was like for us to go there, see the Pies, soak it up. It was like meeting up with my tribe.

Autumn heading into winter - soup time

View attachment 493034

Pumpkin soup, simple recipe - ~ 4.5 - 5 kgs pumpkin (pre-peeling etc)
received appropriate accolades from those present
will tackle lambs' neck soup this arvo - add barley, carrots, peas - serve with chunk of crusty bread - why eat out? :)
Got some on the stove brewing right now :)

Mushroom soup delicious.

Just had a delicious bowl.

For the best mushroom soup suggest Prago in Kula Lumpur, Malaysia.

Followed by the sea bass encrusted in salt.

Friend of mine has me some Carolina Reaper chilies. Googled it and it's the hottest chili in the world. Anyone got any ideas of how I can cook this little bad boy that's not going to result in a fatality? :eek:

Friend of mine has me some Carolina Reaper chilies. Googled it and it's the hottest chili in the world. Anyone got any ideas of how I can cook this little bad boy that's not going to result in a fatality? :eek:

If you cut them or slice them up, watch out for 'chili fingers' afterwards. And dont be tempted to rub your eyes - agony!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you cut them or slice them up, watch out for 'chili fingers' afterwards. And dont be tempted to rub your eyes - agony!

So you've had this chili before, speaking from experience? I love my spicy food but I think this is going to be self flagellation.

So you've had this chili before, speaking from experience? I love my spicy food but I think this is going to be self flagellation.

No, not that variety, but plenty of others. Some friends claimed to have used it in a curry lentil dish. If it is the same chilli as yours - they described it as agonisingly hot!

I use to eat hot chillies up around 350,000 to 500,000 scoville units.

This thing is 2.2M scoville units!!!!!

My suggested recipe is wear gloves & throw it away!:D

I use to eat hot chillies up around 350,000 to 500,000 scoville units.

This thing is 2.2M scoville units!!!!!

My suggested recipe is wear gloves & throw it away!:D

Far out! That cant have been used by my mates. Sounds like it would kill you.

What do you guys cook when feeding large numbers? While we eat meat, we are not big meat eaters and we dont have a BBQ. So that is not an option.

Having an extended family get together this evening, and I've just made a tray of Greek pastitso. Its a bit like Greek lasagna, with layers of a tomato-based meat sauce, pasta, bechamel sauce, eggs, and cheese, nutmeg, parsley, etc. One big dish easily feeds 8-10, plus salads. It takes a bit of work, but now its done I can rest up. In fact, will open the champers early.:)

What do you guys cook when feeding large numbers? While we eat meat, we are not big meat eaters and we dont have a BBQ. So that is not an option.

Having an extended family get together this evening, and I've just made a tray of Greek pastitso. Its a bit like Greek lasagna, with layers of a tomato-based meat sauce, pasta, bechamel sauce, eggs, and cheese, nutmeg, parsley, etc. One big dish easily feeds 8-10, plus salads. It takes a bit of work, but now its done I can rest up. In fact, will open the champers early.:)
Sounds nice - lasagne - good for groups - went to Trattoria Macaroni last night - my son had lasagne -nice!!

Chicken and corn soup

upload_2018-5-12_16-37-13.png

might tackle pearl barley and pumpkin risotto tonight....

Sounds nice - lasagne - good for groups - went to Trattoria Macaroni last night - my son had lasagne -nice!!

Chicken and corn soup

View attachment 496104

might tackle pearl barley and pumpkin risotto tonight....

Love chicken and corn soup. Do you make your own stock? We did on Thursday, took near four hours! But its a rare occurence. I usually buy it - there are some good quality chicken stocks on the market.

Very hard to get rid of a grain of quinoa from crevice in keyboard at work - eventually flicked it out with the corner of a tissue

upload_2018-5-18_19-58-47.png

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know I shouldn't be eating over the top of my keyboard - don't remind me......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back