The food and wine thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It really is. I usually get 1 kilo of rump steak when things are a bit tight in the pocket and it’s seriously one of the best cuts of meat I have ever bought.
Went to Woolies one day and was placing a tray of Porterhouse in the basket when the butcher gives me a tap on the shoulder as says mate, the marked down rump is the bomb! So i took his advice, glad i did too.

Normally i only use rump for stir frys-asian meals and such, that or Blade.

I'm not a fan of slow cooking beef.

Went to Woolies one day and was placing a tray of Porterhouse in the basket when the butcher gives me a tap on the shoulder as says mate, the marked down rump is the bomb! So i took his advice, glad i did too.

Normally i only use rump for stir frys-asian meals and such, that or Blade.

I'm not a fan of slow cooking beef.
Depends on how you do it, I do a slow braised beef short rib that is to die for and a beef rendang that had Malaysian friends gasping it was that good.

Depends on how you do it, I do a slow braised beef short rib that is to die for and a beef rendang that had Malaysians gasping it was that good.
I've been slow cooking chicken drum sticks lately, super cheap and the meat just falls off the bone, normally do it in a Korma or Butter sauce, just add the veggies later.

I've been slow cooking chicken drum sticks lately, super cheap and the meat just falls off the bone, normally do it in a Korma or Butter sauce, just add the veggies later.
You can get Chuck steak at Dandenong or Springvale for $10 kg or short ribs for $7 kg. Lamb Shanks you can get For about $3 ea, all the good pubs are using these cuts and charging $30 a meal.
It is so easy and there are some crazy good recipes on the net for all these cuts of meat.
I won't order lamb shanks eating out ever cos mine are always better.

It is so easy and there are some crazy good recipes on the net for all these cuts of meat.
I won't order lamb shanks eating out ever cos mine are always better.
I’ve had much better lamb shanks at a home prepared than eating out.
Maybe it’s bad luck but I don’t recall having cracking lamb shanks dining.
Hence, Haven’t ordered it in years.

I’ve had much better lamb shanks at a home prepared than eating out.
Maybe it’s bad luck but I don’t recall having cracking lamb shanks dining.
Hence, Haven’t ordered it in years.
Last place I had really good ones were in Daylesford at the Farmers Arms hotel, but mine are good. It's the general standard of bistro food that does my head in. Slow cooked meat is so damm easy but many places can't get it right.

Last place I had really good ones were in Daylesford at the Farmers Arms hotel, but mine are good. It's the general standard of bistro food that does my head in. Slow cooked meat is so damm easy but many places can't get it right.
Spot on

Whenever I cook lamb, i always find the taste is like smell off the sheep truck. Like wet wool? Probably need to take my medication, or stop shopping at Coles :rolleyes:

At least we have wellsy back this week. Remind the shockers about this one?

Few sausages like that on Sunday will be the straw to break the camel's back. Howe did he do that?! ;)

My husband made a beautiful chicken cacciatore the other night. We use chicken marylands (with the bone in and the skin on!) and he spent ages reducing the sauce with tomatoes and wine, and slow cooking the chicken. Was ready with a glass of wine when I got home from work, being the chief breadwinner these days. Our house is like the 1950s in reverse.:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the topic of olives. After many years of trying many types from all over the place, we keep coming back to the Mount Zero brand, grown in/around the Grampians.

My favourite is their organic kalamatas (never pipped!). Good all rounders for snacking and adding to dishes.

Also love big green olives (again not pipped) which we buy loose from a deli at Vic Market. Mainly use them for snacking, but also surprisingly good chopped up and added to potato salads.

MountZero_kalamata300ml-r_medium-1.jpg

My husband made a beautiful chicken cacciatore the other night. We use chicken marylands (with the bone in and the skin on!) and he spent ages reducing the sauce with tomatoes and wine, and slow cooking the chicken. Was ready with a glass of wine when I got home from work, being the chief breadwinner these days. Our house is like the 1950s in reverse.:D
Nice changes...

Jesus Christ. What's happened to the world? Even a mob of Collingwood supporters have become food snobs. It began with Jmac and his IPA rubbish. I just want simpler times back when I could order a Carlton on tap without the whole pub turning and sneering at me. I just want to go out for dinner without it becoming a bloody Masterchef judging table. I want to order a sandwich without nominating whether the avocado will be pureed, mashed, smashed or sliced.

Jesus Christ. What's happened to the world? Even a mob of Collingwood supporters have become food snobs. It began with Jmac and his IPA rubbish. I just want simpler times back when I could order a Carlton on tap without the whole pub turning and sneering at me. I just want to go out for dinner without it becoming a bloody Masterchef judging table. I want to order a sandwich without nominating whether the avocado will be pureed, mashed, smashed or sliced.

For what it's worth.. I consider myself a bit of a foodie, but even still I don't think you can go past a really cold Carlton on tap. It's great stuff and just hits the spot.

A lot of the craft beers, as good as they are in the bottle, are gash on draught. Kinda the opposite to Carlton, really.

Come live in Cranbourne I'll take you to the pub and a 1980s style Chinese restaurant where thongs and tank tops are not even frowned upon as people tuck into nothing more exotic than honey chicken and beef and black bean.

Come live in Cranbourne I'll take you to the pub and a 1980s style Chinese restaurant where thongs and tank tops are not even frowned upon as people tuck into nothing more exotic than honey chicken and beef and black bean.
But where has the chicken been sourced from?

I was out last night for Dinner with friends, one of them bought a Red and asked me to give it a try (they hid the label).
It was a little sweeter than most Reds but was quite enjoyable and went well with the steak I was having
Later I discovered it was a $5 Red from Coles...blew me away!!!

I'm not going. Too much information. The only acceptable answer was the chicken is sourced from chickens.

you know it's not chicken. we know it's not chicken. but let's all just pretend it's chicken

Remove this Banner Ad

Back