Review Autopsy thread vs Saints round 11

Remove this Banner Ad

I called it wrong re Sheed, definitely needs to spend some time in the WAFL, also as said, very disappointed with Jetta, thought he's be up and about in a big way for this round.
Good to see Ah-Chee having a real crack, needs to tidy up his disposal, decision making sometimes leaves a bit to be desired, recon he'll get better with a few more games under his belt.

You know it’s a good season when you play as bad of a 4th quarter as any and you still win.So many variables to look at for switching off, saving legs, up by 8 goals switching off, avoiding injuries.Either way, we came out with a W.Lets hope that darling is at worst 5 weeks, even if he is out, I’m not too worried, we can either throw brander for similar structure or throw Ryan in for different dynamics.Injuries are part of the game, in our case, having Ryan ready to come in isn’t the worst case scenario.we lose contested mark superiority but what we gain is Ryan who apart from contested side of the game will match darling in all areas.He also likes to take hangers, each hanger is worth three contested.;)

If this is the 'reality check' or 'loss we had to have', and we get away with 4 points and 10-1 at the halfway point, I'd take it every single day of the week and twice on Tuesdays.

I think some posters need a 'reality check' (not singling out individuals) - it is impossible for a side to win every quarter and every game. Even the GOAT sides took their foot off the pedal and let the opposition get a run on occasionally, the key is that they do it less often than others. I am confident that if we are in the same position at 3QT in September that we would not let it slip.

I called it wrong re Sheed, definitely needs to spend some time in the WAFL, also as said, very disappointed with Jetta, thought he's be up and about in a big way for this round.
Good to see Ah-Chee having a real crack, needs to tidy up his disposal, decision making sometimes leaves a bit to be desired, recon he'll get better with a few more games under his belt.
Ah chee is definitely a player who could be usefull in finals . He has x factor and can take a great contested mark but he is a bit like yeo was in the midfield 2 years ago . No consistant effort and flashes in and out of the game . He was one who struggled to run out the game yesterday . We need him to sting 8-10 games in a row to see what he is capable of .

I feel like saints were never really in the game, and never looked like winning. They pushed massive amounts of numbers at the contest and behind the Ball early, so our options going inside 50 were reduced to bomb it in, cause we had no room to lead into. Shit sides always do this against good sides. It made sure they could win contested ball from stoppages, but they more often than not had nothing to kick to going forward. On the counter though, we could t move the ball as cleanly as we usually would because of their numbers in the middle and our forward line. Made for a frustrating game to watch. They only actually started to go ok in the last when they went back to a more traditional structure, and it got them some goals.

It wouldn't have had the same results had we not been 8 goals up already.

Let's take the win, have a break and move on. 10-1 at the bye is amazing and not one of us would ever have dreamed of being in this position at the start of the season.

Our ball movement was our undoing. Defense was fine (apart from membrane), offence was a joke.

Saints knew the game was over and they started taking risks in the 4th quarter by running with the footy and putting us on the backfoot in the midfield.

Us on the other hand chipped it around and any foray forward was slow and predictably to an outnumbered JK. No run and carry.

Was l incorrect about jetta?

Let's not sugar coat this; we almost gave up a final quarter 8 goal lead against fricken st kilda. At home.

Let that sink in a moment. The players looked like they lost after the match as rightly they should.

I gave praise where its warranted, and those boys hardly deserve a pat on the back after that last quarter.

What is the most recent praise you have given?

You just seem to criticise the team at every opportunity. It's either the coaches aren't doing something right, a player was awful, and nothing in between. You nearly never have anything positive to say

Does it matter if he expresses a negative view? Different perspectives and oppinions make the board good to read. Or should we all be positive and never debate anything. It’s good that some posters have a positive outlook, some are level headed, some provide great analysis of the game, some have contacts inside the club, some are pessimistic and others go over board.

Not at all, but that doesn't mean it should be the only thing he says - it is possible to be balanced.

What is the most recent praise you have given?

You just seem to criticise the team at every opportunity. It's either the coaches aren't doing something right, a player was awful, and nothing in between. You nearly never have anything positive to say

Not at all, but that doesn't mean it should be the only thing he says - it is possible to be balanced.

The Last praise i gave was in the positive and negatives thread against the Hawks, so a whole 7 days ago.

If you want to praise last nights efforts feel free, you would be in the overwhelming minority i feel.

Hell, the playing squad wouldn't be too happy with themselves this morning........there is no way Simpson has given them a pat on the back after that display, not a chance. And that's the point: Never be satisfied. Never be too comfortable. There is always room for improvement and last night was a big illustration of that. Those boys decided to start their bye a quarter early and almost paid the price. I am sure the feeling internally would be much the same, so far so good this season in the grand scheme of things, but never start taking things for granted either

We had it all set up for a good win and a big % boost last night, and we shut off at 3 quarter time and nearly paid the price. Percentage will count at the end of the season, make no mistake. Melbourne and Richmond who are chasing us have far better percentage and we had a golden opportunity to boost ours by smacking a team and we blew it, royally. The difference for us in having a qualifying final in Perth, or having to fly across the country to the MCG, is massive.

Imagine if we were up by 30 points in a Qualifying or elimination final or even worse, a grand final. We do what we did last night, and we lose.

So you can wear the rose coloured glasses if you wish, but i call it as i see; overwhelmingly the feel on this board after last nights games isn't one of elation, but disappointment.

Deservedly too i might add.

Full credit to St Kilda.
WC lack killer instinct in fourth quarter by maintaining pressure. To lead by
eight goals at the end of the third quarter and win by two goals - showed complacency which was very disappointing finish heading for the bye.
Simpson should weed out the under achievers from last nights match and reward those who are working their butts off at WAFL.

Last edited:
Full credit to St Kilda.
WC lack killer instinct in fourth quarter by maintaining pressure. To lead by eight goals at the end of the third quarter and win by two goals - showed complacency which was very disappointing.

Would you have preferred to be neck and neck the whole game, several lead changes in the third only to kick a couple late and seal it?

The Last praise i gave was in the positive and negatives thread against the Hawks, so a whole 7 days ago.

If you want to praise last nights efforts feel free, you would be in the overwhelming minority i feel.

Hell, the playing squad wouldn't be too happy with themselves this morning........there is no way Simpson has given them a pat on the back after that display, not a chance. And that's the point: Never be satisfied. Never be too comfortable. There is always room for improvement and last night was a big illustration of that. Those boys decided to start their bye a quarter early and almost paid the price. I am sure the feeling internally would be much the same, so far so good this season in the grand scheme of things, but never start taking things for granted either

We had it all set up for a good win and a big % boost last night, and we shut off at 3 quarter time and nearly paid the price. Percentage will count at the end of the season, make no mistake. Melbourne and Richmond who are chasing us have far better percentage and we had a golden opportunity to boost ours by smacking a team and we blew it, royally. The difference for us in having a qualifying final in Perth, or having to fly across the country to the MCG, is massive.

Imagine if we were up by 30 points in a Qualifying or elimination final or even worse, a grand final. We do what we did last night, and we lose.

So you can wear the rose coloured glasses if you wish, but i call it as i see; overwhelmingly the feel on this board after last nights games isn't one of elation, but disappointment.

Unlikely to play Saints in a final tbh

I'm not as unhappy with Sheed's game as others in this thread. Thought he put in more than some of out other midfielders out there, Redden, Gaff and Yeo lacked both the intent and the influence of previous weeks.

Wasn't particularly impressed with Ah Che's game. He did take some solid marks but his field kicking left a lot to be desired and wasn't anywhere near as clean by hand as he needed to be for someone playing a bit role.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not saying negativity regarding last nights performance is unwarranted, not at all. That was effectively a loss in my eyes.

The point I'm trying to make is that, overall, you as a poster seem to only be negative about your team.

For example, in our victory over the Hawks, the thing you found most important to comment on was Nic's time on the bench - not a hard fought win on the road, or our ninth victory in a row, but a minor discrepancy that's not even worth thinking about.

Last edited:
Would you have preferred to be neck and neck the whole game, several lead changes in the third only to kick a couple late and seal it?
Mindset is not right - played really well against Richmond and meh against Hawks & Saints.

I'm not saying negativity regarding last nights performance is unwarranted, not at all. That was effectively a loss in my eyes.

The point I'm trying to make is that, overall, you as a poster seem to only be negative about your team.

For example, in our victory over the Hawks, the thing you found most important to comment on was Nic's time on the bench - not a hard fought win on the road, just that thing alone.

I will be heaping praise on this team when we go deep into the finals.

As far as i am concerned, until then, we all need to be keeping a lid well and truly on things, last night being a prime example.

For all our wins, we still have yet to really kill a team. And that's a worry, that we have lapses of concentration and the side sits back and admires their handiwork, and lets the opposition back into the game. We need to be more of team that smells blood and puts the foot on the throat. As was aforementioned, percentage at the business end of the year is absolutely going to count.

In terms of positives for yesterday: JK was terrific last night and Gaff was very good. But there would be 20 other guys fronting up to the club to watch the review in the next couple of days that will watching that last quarter and feeling ill

As Vince Lombardi once said: Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.

A win is a win, sure. But playing as we did last night isn't going to win us a grand final.

We will chalk up yesterdays game as the lapse we had to have, and i will duly dish out praise when it is warranted.

Apart from Jk and a few others, we really played bruise free footy and nearly won by 40 odd points. We shut up shop way too early in the 4th quarter. We should have come out firing and get 3/4 goals in the first 5-10mins in the last and then shut up shop. That would have iced the game and broken the saints.

and i will duly dish out praise when it is warranted.

I suppose this means you will never dish out praise during the home and away rounds then. :rolleyes:

We have killed teams. Gold Coast? Bulldogs? Richmond?

There is a reason why our percentage is better than all but two teams in the competition.

Last edited:

As far as i am concerned, until then, we all need to be keeping a lid well and truly on things, last night being a prime example.

For all our wins, we still have yet to really kill a team. And that's a worry, that we have lapses of concentration and the side sits back and admires their handiwork, and lets the opposition back into the game. We need to be more of team that smells blood and puts the foot on the throat. As was aforementioned, percentage at the business end of the year is absolutely going to count.

In terms of positives for yesterday: JK was terrific last night and Gaff was very good. But there would be 20 other guys fronting up to the club to watch the review in the next couple of days that will watching that last quarter and feeling ill

As Vince Lombardi once said: Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.

A win is a win, sure. But playing as we did last night isn't going to win us a grand final.

We will chalk up yesterdays game as the lapse we had to have, and i will duly dish out praise when it is warranted.

Wait, do you mean when we smashed the reigning premiers by 47 points? Or Port Adelaide by 46? Is 45 plus points not enough?

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you mean by "we have yet to kill a team". Just because we only beat St Kilda by 13 doesn't mean it's representative of our year. We've smashed teams, and won 10 in a row while doing it.

There's a difference between high expectations and the ridiculous standards of perfection you want.

Last edited:
yes BUT we should have put the saints away!!!

We should have not been mental short people in the 2015 Grand Final either but here we are.

Perspective. We cannot win 100 quarters every year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back