Player Watch #26: Anthony Miles

Remove this Banner Ad

One way of breaking a tag...ruck one out and still closer to the ball...but you would not want to see Cotch doing the ruck work all game!
That’s a recipe for disaster as his direct opponent then is freed of the leash which is what happened after TC third attempt. He waltzed the ball deep into their chf region. Just no as TC is our ball magnet and needs to be winning the ball not rubbing arses with a bloke bigger and stronger and getting rag dolled.

I thought our cleanest clearance of the night was when we had no ruck. Should try it out a bit more.
That’s actually smarter than having you mf going up at least they’re in a position to pounce rather than out of the contest in which they’re paid to be in.
Cotchin was in a useless position to do damage in all those three hit outs and did zip in helping shake the tag as it released his opponent of the hook.

For a guy whose strength is in his ball winning ability, only 8 of Miles' 20 touches were contested. I'd rather have Graham's 13 touches and 10 tackles than Miles' 20 rather ineffective touches.

But Jack Graham hasn't had more than 7 tackles in a game since Round 1.

I'd rate Milesy to hit back this week assuming Dustys back. If he's the third or 4th string in the midfield he can get to work, pretty tough gig when you're up against massive bodies like boak, wines, Powell pepper, rockcliff, Ryder.

Would be really disappointed if he was dropped this week. Was far from our worst against Port.

Moore, Menadue, McIntosh, Butler - all in the gun before Miles for mine.

Didn't dominate VFL style, but 20 and 1 was a fair return for a player who has not played at the level for close to a full season!
While he didnt have a great game i thought his first half in particular was pretty good.

Disappointing in he didn't get a heap of contested ball but most times he was involved especially first half his involvement usually meant good outcomes.
Go compare for instance his involvement and outcomes to Conca's.

For a first up hit out after 18 months on the outer i thought his game was more than passable.

We lacked a big inside presence and missed Martin more than what most want to admit. We also got absolutely nothing out the big bodied bloke who was supposed to play the big inside role.That would be Josh Caddy whose game could not have been worse at a time when we probably needed him to stand up the most.

I thought he got the ball ok , but was closed down quickly before he could do damage.
Look at the outcome of his involvement especially his first half.Usually hit a target and made good decisions with ball in hand and thats despite him always constantly being under pressure.

Look at Edwards second goal first quarter. He competed for the ball at the centre bounce didnt go his way he spread forward the ball came his way and he used it with a great kick into edwards path.
Bloke got about 70 minutes game time as well.
I would really like to see him alongside all of Martin Cotchin and Prestia.Imo all three would compliment his game to a tee.
Without a doubt Cotchin and Miles were targeted by P/A this week.

Look at the outcome of his involvement especially his first half.Usually hit a target and made good decisions with ball in hand and thats despite him always constantly being under pressure.

Look at Edwards second goal first quarter. He competed for the ball at the centre bounce didnt go his way he spread forward the ball came his way and he used it with a great kick into edwards path.
I would really like to see him alongside all of Martin Cotchin and Prestia.Imo all three would compliment his game to a tee.
He’s got it all to do as he looked horribly one paced with little grunt. Reminded me of his last game last season. I’m in for him getting one game as he may of needed rooming in time and better support, but I wasn’t as inspired as I have been in the past.

He tried his best, but IMO thats about all he has to offer the 1's, and it's probably no longer good enough. Yes I acknowledge he has historically performed well in the ones, but over the last 2.5 years, the game has changed to one that clearly negates every strength in Miles game.

To be fair, I'm not sure who else in the two's can step in to replace him if Prestia and Dusty don't come up. Lloyd hasn't taken his chance, Cellis shows somw ability but can't seem to make the jump mentally, so not sure what we look at...

I'm not sure if Friday's game is the papers stamped game which we had two of last year...

Steve Morris - Everyone was worried when Morris came in for the top of the table clash against Adelaide, sadly (because you can never knock his commitment), made zero impact on the contest, coinciding with the terrible result, never played again.

Taylor Hunt - To his credit, he did everything possible to get the most out of himself and his career, but everyone thought in round 16 last year that it was a mistake to recall him, a thumping by the Saints sealed his paperwork, never played again.

So I wonder, another player who is clearly a strong VFL player, had been overlooked for weeks by the MC (for whatever reason) when there was opportunities to play him, gets a game, make little impact on the contest, I just wonder if this plays out like the above two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmmm our so called great depth is a tad thread bare...
Yep, we've lost three games out of twelve!!
We need a collective team effort to win games and we didn't bring it for long enough to win on Friday night.
That said, we could have stolen the win against a near full strength Port, at their home deck, with them treating it like an early final and with four of our better players out.
On Miles, thought he was good early but lack of senior footy found him out second half and he struggled to run out the game.
Whether he stays in or not depends on who is available... D Martin for one.

I'd rate Milesy to hit back this week assuming Dustys back. If he's the third or 4th string in the midfield he can get to work, pretty tough gig when you're up against massive bodies like boak, wines, Powell pepper, rockcliff, Ryder.

Would be really disappointed if he was dropped this week. Was far from our worst against Port.
Exactly.
People expecting him to come in and be as effective as Dusty are kidding themselves. He was on a hiding to nothing this week. He was never going to be as dominate at AFL compared to VFL, huge step up and when we are missing Dusty and Prestia who are ahead of him it was a step too far.
Hope he stays in if dusty comes back, deserves another chance with Dusty playing, then we can make a real assessment of his worth to the team.

While he didnt have a great game i thought his first half in particular was pretty good.

Disappointing in he didn't get a heap of contested ball but most times he was involved especially first half his involvement usually meant good outcomes.

For a first up hit out after 18 months on the outer i thought his game was more than passable.

We lacked a big inside presence and missed Martin more than what most want to admit. We also got absolutely nothing out the big bodied bloke who was supposed to play the big inside role.That would be Josh Caddy whose game could not have been worse at a time when we probably needed him to stand up the most.
This is why Caddy has to realise (as I think he has) that he is a better forward. Doesn't have the pace to mix it in the midfield successfully.

Not sure why you cut Milsey so much slack yet others cop your venom, if Miles gets another gig thats ok by me if our gun mids are still out, but he was handy at best in first half and not productive at all in the second half as his man Windgard cut him and us to ribbons. Wines too of course Lambert, Grigg, Caddy, Edwards and too a lesser extent Conca all made to look like statues.

Agree, Miles was Miles because Dusty and or a De Goey/Fyfe type was not there.

Miles does not replace Dusty, he does not have the size and power apart from everything else.

It just highlights our flea midfield situation because apart from Dusty we have no ruck rover like a Fyfe so the likes of Cotch, Prestia, Miles, Graham, Lambert and others like Edwards, Higgins become less effective in the guts as a result.

This is why the Port game highlighted our need for a Fyfe type to compliment when Dusty goes forward apart from when he misses the odd match.

Miles is the type of player that allows a club to pay big for a De Grey/Fyfe type and make the unit very effective with Miles allowing Dusty to go forward.

This is why Caddy has to realise (as I think he has) that he is a better forward. Doesn't have the pace to mix it in the midfield successfully.

You might be right here but he can still pinch hit and be effective in the midfield in certain situations with certain teammates in there with him. I think it just showed the likes of Dusty makes a lot of players around him better!!

Bottom line is we could not compete with the strength of Wines and Powell Pepper at the stoppages. Our best tackler Conca tried his best but they even busted his tackles at times, then fed it out to runners like Wingard. A bit like we do with Dusty. Miles is to small and doesn't close down space fast enough to pressure big inside mids at AFL level. Neat player but no upside at all.
When you look at the VFL we are short on for quality mids with AFL traits. Smalls no problem, but we really need to draft some quality midfielders, we haven't taken one in years. Conca (2010) was the last inside mid taken, Vlastuin perhaps. Corey Ellis ??. The rest flankers and talls. Hence Prestia is so important.
Cripps took us apart R1, Nathan Jones was very good against us for a while. Fyfe. Need more power inside. Caddy a bit slow as Mr. Magic suggests.
Forgot Graham, he should be good, but was still taken pick 53 and is a bit one paced.

You might be right here but he can still pinch hit and be effective in the midfield in certain situations with certain teammates in there with him. I think it just showed the likes of Dusty makes a lot of players around him better!!
Yes, perhaps makes them better, but he takes one or two or sometimes more players (and beats them) which makes it a hell of a lot easier for those around him. Something Miles or Caddy can't do.
Caddy to pinch hit is fine, particularly at Center bounces, but I don't think he has the speed or tank to do it for large patches of the match as I think he had to against Port. much better for him to have a bit more bulk to use forward which will slow him down midfield.

Yes, perhaps makes them better, but he takes one or two or sometimes more players (and beats them) which makes it a hell of a lot easier for those around him. Something Miles or Caddy can't do.
Caddy to pinch hit is fine, particularly at Center bounces, but I don't think he has the speed or tank to do it for large patches of the match as I think he had to against Port. much better for him to have a bit more bulk to use forward which will slow him down midfield.

This is the question.

How effective would `Lambert and Miles be rotating into a midfield with De Grey and Dusty with Cotch resting forward? I think the likes of Lambert and Miles who are not world beaters could be very effective in and around the likes of De Grey and Dusty not to mention Cotch apart from the youngsters Graham and Higgins chipping in let alone Edwards and co saying hello?

I think some of the lessor players have borderline currency until you put them amongst a stronger unit where what they do under a salary cap scenario becomes invaluable!!

This is the question.

How effective would `Lambert and Miles be rotating into a midfield with De Grey and Dusty with Cotch resting forward? I think the likes of Lambert and Miles who are not world beaters could be very effective in and around the likes of De Grey and Dusty not to mention Cotch apart from the youngsters Graham and Higgins chipping in let alone Edwards and co saying hello?

I think some of the lessor players have borderline currency until you put them amongst a stronger unit where what they do under a salary cap scenario becomes invaluable!!
I'm now convinced Miles is too slow, look at the size of De Goey yet how smoothly he also moves.

Lambert moves well, very good player for us, but Miles is VFL at best.

I just did a little analysis of all the centre bounces on Friday night - who attended, what happened, I present it without comment:

1st Q:
Nank, Cotch, Miles, Edwards. Miles’ opponent Wingard pushes off him and wins clearance with Miles three metres behind him.
Nank, Cotch, Miles, Edwards. Cotch wins clearance (kick off the ground).
Grigg, Cotch, Caddy, Conca. Woeful bounce gifts Ryder clearance.
Nank, Cotch, Miles, Caddy. Cotch pushes off R.Gray, wins scrappy clearance.
Nank, Cotch, Miles, Edwards. Miles dives on ball, secondary ball-up (should have been holding the ball according to the rules). Grigg wins subsequent clearance.
Nank, Cotch, Miles, Edwards. Scrappy, ball in dispute until Port sweeper off the back of the square wins it.

2nd Q:
Nank, Cotch, Conca, Edwards. Cotch wins clearance.
Nank, Cotch, Conca, Edwards. Edwards’ man Wingard wins clearance.
Nank, Cotch, Conca, Caddy. Nank lays it down beautifully for Ryder, who wins clearance.
Nank, Caddy, Conca, Miles. Miles’ man Powell-Pepper starts level with him, pushes off and beats him to the ball by a clear metre. Conca confronts him but P-P handballs to Conca’s man Wines, who handballs to Caddy’s man Wingard (still next to centre circle), who boots it forward. Caddy had left Wingard to follow the initial tap and as such he was well clear.
Grigg, Cotch, Conca, Miles. Conca’s man Wines pushes off him and bursts 3m clear to win clearance.
Nank, Cotch, Conca, Miles. Miles’ man P-P gets the ball but is immediately tackled by Miles and Conca. Secondary ball-up. Tertiary ball-up. Byrnes-Jones wins scrappy clearance.
Nank, Caddy, Conca, Miles. Conca’s man P-P drops ball in Conca tackle, falls to Miles’ man Rockliff. Miles has gone ball-hunting and left him free. Rockliff handballs straight to Sheds but dumpire has called bullshit holding free against Conca. P-P wins gifted clearance.
Nank, Caddy, Edwards, Miles. Edwards’ man Rockliff gets short handball to Caddy’s man Wingard (Caddy left him again). Miles applies ineffective tackle, allowing Wingard to handball to Miles’ man Wines for clearance.
Nank, Cotch, Edwards, Miles. Miles dives on ball, handball to Cotch for clearance.
Nank, Cotch, Edwards, Conca. Edwards gets a bad bounce, his man Wines handballs to Cotch’s man Rockliff for clearance.

3rd Q:
Nank, Cotch, Grigg, Miles. P-P dives on the ball and throws it to Miles’ man Wines, who wins clearance.
Moore, Grigg, Caddy, Miles. Miles attacks nullified tap, as do Wingard, P-P and Miles’ man R.Gray, who taps it to advantage, bursts clear and boots long for clearance. Grigg and Caddy each two metres from contest, zero impact.
Caddy, Grigg, Cotch, Edwards. Caddy follows up his ruck work, handballs to Edwards who fumbles, ball bobbles around, Grigg handballs to Cotch for clearance.
Nank, Edwards, Grigg, Miles. Edwards anticipates the wrong way, Ryder knocks it down to his man Wingard who wins clearance.

4th Q:
Nank, Cotch, Grigg, Higgins. Grigg works Wines under ball, Ryder roves neutral ruck contest, handballs to Cotch’s man P-P who is metres clear, handpass to Higlet’s man R.Gray, back to Ryder, back to Gray, back to P-P who is tackled by Cotch but given six minutes to get his handball wide, Grimes off the ground, out of bounds.
Nank, Cotch, Caddy, Miles. Miles’ man Gray pushes off him and is a metre clear when Ryder lays one in his lap. He handballs to Caddy’s man Wingard who Caddy has again ignored while not impacting the contest. Wingard handpass to Rockliff off the back of the square, he chips it straight to Sheds.

Cotch attended 17 centre bounces, won 5 clearances. His man got 2.
Miles attended 15 centre bounces, won 0 clearances (1 clearance assist). His man got 4, plus an additional 3 first possessions.
Edwards attended 11 centre bounces, won 0 clearances. His man got 2.
Conca attended 9 centre bounces, won 0 clearances. His man got 2, plus 1 first possession.
Grigg attended 6 centre bounces (2 as ruckman), won 0 clearances (1 clearance assist). His man got 1, when he was in the ruck.
Caddy attended 9 centre bounces (1 as ruckman), won 0 clearances, got 1 first possession. His man got 1 clearance, 1 first possession and 2 chain possessions.
Nank attended 19 centre bounces, won 0 clearances. His man got 1 clearance, 1 clearance assist, 1 first possession, 1 chain possession.
Moore and Higgins attended 1 centre bounce each and didn’t bother the statistician. Higgo's bloke got 2 chain possessions.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back