LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will have a good read.

The first two weeks on keto you need to drink three times your usual amount of water (everyday without fail) with added electrolytes or just plain salt if you can stomach it.
This is the reason why journos and dietitians post their silly anti keto/low carb rants on why they give up after 4 days because they feel like s**t.
He's done a massive blog post on it

https://www.shawn-baker.com/the-meat-blog/2018/4/20/testosterone-its-complicated

Haven't had a chance to read it yet but the latest consensus seems to be that the carnivorous diet increases androgen receptor sensitivity so there is no need for high levels of test

Ketorade.png
Everytime I do Keto I get dehydrated which means I get reflux at night, think I can't produce stomach acid. Anyone else get dehydrated?

No. But I drink about 3-5 litres a day. Electrolytes are really important too. There are several recipes on the internet for electrolyte drinks. This is my favourite.

LCHF is definitely an interesting concept for me, especially from an adhere point of view. At my leanest (when I was 20) I was around the 78-82kg mark and militant with low carb, got into powerlifting and just ate everything I could, 98kg within 18 months. Stopped lifting and concentrated on BJJ and MT for a few years, drank too much and hovered around 105kg for the last 5 years.

I've stuck with a 1L 'health shake' of frozen fruit, kale and whey as pretty much my only source of carbs since the middle of June and gone nuts with as much eggs, bacon, chicken as felt like as well as getting back into the start of 5/3/1 and plenty of accessory lifting.

I'm definitely leaner, the scale says 6kg but I feel like its more. my fitness pal is showing 3 days in the last 6 weeks where I went over 2k calories, I eat when I'm hungry and usually sit on 1500-1800 per day.

I would say it's been worth it so far, it has only been a short amount of time, I don't see a reason to change it any time soon though.

LCHF is definitely an interesting concept for me, especially from an adhere point of view. At my leanest (when I was 20) I was around the 78-82kg mark and militant with low carb, got into powerlifting and just ate everything I could, 98kg within 18 months. Stopped lifting and concentrated on BJJ and MT for a few years, drank too much and hovered around 105kg for the last 5 years.

I've stuck with a 1L 'health shake' of frozen fruit, kale and whey as pretty much my only source of carbs since the middle of June and gone nuts with as much eggs, bacon, chicken as felt like as well as getting back into the start of 5/3/1 and plenty of accessory lifting.

I'm definitely leaner, the scale says 6kg but I feel like its more. my fitness pal is showing 3 days in the last 6 weeks where I went over 2k calories, I eat when I'm hungry and usually sit on 1500-1800 per day.

I would say it's been worth it so far, it has only been a short amount of time, I don't see a reason to change it any time soon though.

That's a low amount of calories though everyone's body reacts differently. I powerlift and train five times a week. Sitting around 86kg to 87kg at high 11% BF at the moment. Probably a standard day is between 4k to 5k calories. I had to weight cut yesterday so ate very little, though was still able to get 1k from a very small nut based meal.

I'm off to Europe next month. Anyone got low carb suggestions or advice for long haul flights?

Not a bad idea but it's going to be pretty tempting to eat when the person next to me is stuffing their face.
Not with airline food! Fasting is the best way to beat jet lag and not mess up your gut bacteria. If you were going to eat I would bring my own nuts, dark chocolate and jerky or pre-make a fathead pizza and bring it with me in foil.

How have people found endurance on LCHF?

I did my town's fun run (8km) today and was a bit disappointed with my time. Didn't feel like I had that much energy. May have just been an off day.

Might just be getting older too.:(

How have people found endurance on LCHF?

I did my town's fun run (8km) today and was a bit disappointed with my time. Didn't feel like I had that much energy. May have just been an off day.

Might just be getting older too.:(
I've never had any issues but I normally limit my runs to no more than 5km

Giving the carnivore diet a one month experiment starting today. Lots of people already telling me I'm stupid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giving the carnivore diet a one month experiment starting today. Lots of people already telling me I'm stupid.
How is this going?

Been on a bit of a relaxed low carb high fat diet for the last 2-3 weeks, basically bacon and eggs for dinner, and low carb bread from aldi with ham, cheese and natural mayo on it for lunch, skipping breakfast. Lost 4 kilos in that time doing it.

How is this going?

Been on a bit of a relaxed low carb high fat diet for the last 2-3 weeks, basically bacon and eggs for dinner, and low carb bread from aldi with ham, cheese and natural mayo on it for lunch, skipping breakfast. Lost 4 kilos in that time doing it.

A few adaption issues(mostly fatigue) but overall I feel great. My digestive system is loving it.

I seemed to have amazing energy at Crossfit today.

Two weeks in to my carnivore experiment. My thoughts at this stage are that I'll probably revert back to normal keto when I've finished. I've experienced some benefits but IMO not enough to make it a long-term thing. And I feel incredibly limited only being able to eat meat.

Two weeks in to my carnivore experiment. My thoughts at this stage are that I'll probably revert back to normal keto when I've finished. I've experienced some benefits but IMO not enough to make it a long-term thing. And I feel incredibly limited only being able to eat meat.
I still want to give it a go at some stage but this is how I predict I will react as well

Interesting. Very easy to access testosterone in the USA from your doctor. He's 50 years old - not carrying a huge amount of muscle or crazy strong from what I see. If he is on testosterone he could dose it at replacement levels so it doesn't look too much out of whack. Then again some people have low test levels though are still very strong or carry a lot of muscle. His numbers are pretty low - could have geared hard years ago and never recovered.

He's 250-260 pounds and deadlifts 400+ pounds for sets of 20 and hes over 50. The dude is a monster.

He's done a massive blog post on it

https://www.shawn-baker.com/the-meat-blog/2018/4/20/testosterone-its-complicated

Haven't had a chance to read it yet but the latest consensus seems to be that the carnivorous diet increases androgen receptor sensitivity so there is no need for high levels of test

Bang on. Thanks for posting that.

On a side note I've been running very close to strict carnivore for about 10 weeks and completely strict for 2 weeks. I'm feeling good, moods better, sustained energy. Hunger is non existent. I'm also +7kgs and lower body fat. For lack of a better expression I'm speechless with the results.

Read a few years ago that Melbourne Dees went low carb. Perhaps they're reaping the rewards of tweaking their diet over the journey.

Thinking of getting back into this, but found despite looking good I had bugger all energy to run out a game of footy.

I was limiting myself to 30g of carbs a day max and ensured I was eating enough fats last time.

Anyone been able to get through a game of footy when in/near ketosis?

Read a few years ago that Melbourne Dees went low carb. Perhaps they're reaping the rewards of tweaking their diet over the journey.

Thinking of getting back into this, but found despite looking good I had bugger all energy to run out a game of footy.

I was limiting myself to 30g of carbs a day max and ensured I was eating enough fats last time.

A few flirted with a modified version one preseason. Tom McDonald is the only current full time LCHF that i know of. Ablett is paleo/primal, has been for over 4 years but would consume enough paleo friendly carbs to stay out of keto.

I played a season of footy while I was living in London. Felt like I ran out the second half of games better than most. Was never an impact sprint player though. Just covered big distances up and down the wing with moderate intensity and the odd few centre bounces on rotation.

I played a season of footy while I was living in London. Felt like I ran out the second half of games better than most. Was never an impact sprint player though. Just covered big distances up and down the wing with moderate intensity and the odd few centre bounces on rotation.

Maybe that's the difference. I'm key possie & have to burst more often than not. Anyway, you can only try things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back