Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should see it in different scenario . Look a bit unprepared , Blakey is a top 7 talent. Even if Sydney don't match I will take him .
Fair call...professionals should be prepared for every eventuality. But how many eventualities do you prepare for ?
I'm certainly not prepared for a nuclear strike on the Gold Coast tonight..:)

Fair call...professionals should be prepared for every eventuality. But how many eventualities do you prepare for ?
I'm certainly not prepared for a nuclear strike on the Gold Coast tonight..:)
I read about Brad sheer, the way they demoted him to rookie list is very unprofessional , eventhough he had a professional Dad ;). If they intend to draft 5 players in draft night , no point demoted a contract player in the first place .

I get you ...very clever ! Best way to shut me up...:)
Nah , from the outside IMO I don't think is fair as he was contracted, especially if GCS already planned to draft only 5 players on senior list .

* Just because your can't be bias , does not mean I can't said it is unprofessional for them to do that . Build his endurance up , I think he can be damaging as a mid/forward. Probably dark horse for rising star nomination too .

Last edited:

I loved watching this. Kall Burns is a very cool customer and you can see he's the vital cog in this recruitment team who got wind of Sydney's intentions and got the move happening. I liked how Craig Cameron deferred to him, but took charge when decisions needed to be made. Stuart Dew was consultative, but allowed the guys to do their jobs once he'd made his points.

You even have to pay Scott Clayton for his role, knowing the Suns would want to move up and giving up #25 (a pick originally belonging to us) to the Swans so that the Suns could have #23 (the Lycett compo pick).

Did anyone else catch all the names who were on our board after Jez McLennan. Luke Valente and Tom Sparrow were definitely mentioned, which sort of makes sense because they play similar defensive positions, but the Suns thought Jez was worth it. For the record, the 4th rounder that came back with from West Coast will be very handy should we need to match bids on Academy players next year, such as Matt Conroy, Connor Budarick, Ashton Crossley and Ace Paul Oea.

Where's Johnny Drama?
You got back a future 5th round pick in the end. Almost worthless. Token gesture.

I read about Brad sheer, the way they demoted him to rookie list is very unprofessional , eventhough he had a professional Dad ;). If they intend to draft 5 players in draft night , no point demoted a contract player in the first place .
Lions did the exact same thing with one our academy kids we drafted in 2016.

Delisted Jacob Allison, and re-rookied him.

Lions did the exact same thing with one our academy kids we drafted in 2016.

Delisted Jacob Allison, and re-rookied him.
The thing with Brad sheer is they extend his contract , I had no problem if they delisted Nutting and place him in rookie list like Alison .

All our blokes looked happy to be picked unlike Ely smith

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You know, you don't have to go tit for tat, school yard type behaviour if some one posts something that's not glowingly positive about your club.

You weren't the only club to get back a 5th round pick in a lopsided trade.

Man, if you ever visited the Lions board, you would have seen me be scathing about us getting back 3rd and 4th round picks in trades.

As for Ely, he's happy in Brisbane, and is slowly coming out of his shell. He's just one of those quiet types that isn't big on showing emotions or talking much. He's more like the quiet neighbour you hardly hear anything about, takes his pillow on two hour plane flights, until the police rock up to your neighbours house to arrest him for being a ax wielding mass murderer.

The thing with Brad sheer is they extend his contract , I had no problem if they delisted Nutting and place him in rookie list like Alison .
Not sure quite what your saying. They extended Sheer's contract, then delisted him, then re-rookied him?

Jacob Allison still had/has two years remaining on his contract, after receiving a two year contract extension after his first season. There were rumours during the trade period that he might be off to Geelong as he supposedly wanted a move to Victoria. There was also talk he needed a proverbial kick up the back side, and the de-listing and re-rookieing was just that.

On a related note, on our club podcast, David Noble mentioned that a lot of clubs are using the rookie list more as a list management tool now, rather than a player development tool, to create greater flexibility with a clubs list. He also mentioned, that rookie listing contracted players, allows clubs to take more picks to the national draft, and move their rookie picks 20 odd spots up the draft order, if the club has extra national draft picks available to them.

Allowed us to draft Noah Answerth this year, rather than picking up a less talented kid in the rookie draft.

Fun fact, did you know that Lions academy kids Harris Andrews, Eric Hipwood, Ben Keays, Jacob Allison and Connor McFadyen were all born in Geelong and their families move to QLD when they were young. From memory, I believe GC academy kid jack Bowes might have been as well. And Scheer is from WA.

Hardly growing the game amongst converts, when the top academy kids come from AFL supporting families and are indoctrinated into the sport from a young age by their families.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure quite what your saying. They extended Sheer's contract, then delisted him, then re-rookied him?

Jacob Allison still had/has two years remaining on his contract, after receiving a two year contract extension after his first season. There were rumours during the trade period that he might be off to Geelong as he supposedly wanted a move to Victoria. There was also talk he needed a proverbial kick up the back side, and the de-listing and re-rookieing was just that.

On a related note, on our club podcast, David Noble mentioned that a lot of clubs are using the rookie list more as a list management tool now, rather than a player development tool, to create greater flexibility with a clubs list. He also mentioned, that rookie listing contracted players, allows clubs to take more picks to the national draft, and move their rookie picks 20 odd spots up the draft order, if the club has extra national draft picks available to them.

Allowed us to draft Noah Answerth this year, rather than picking up a less talented kid in the rookie draft.
That is my point , why delisted a player under contract when your senior list have 39 players (40 max) and 5 Rookie A list players ,Requested AFL for two extra 2 Rookie A players. ( 6 max ).
Brisbane delisted Alison because they want to have 40 senior listed players and 4 Rookie A players .You only delisted a player if you need to utilised 40 senior list players in the AFL national draft .

Last edited:
Fun fact, did you know that Lions academy kids Harris Andrews, Eric Hipwood, Ben Keays, Jacob Allison and Connor McFadyen were all born in Geelong and their families move to QLD when they were young. From memory, I believe GC academy kid jack Bowes might have been as well. And Scheer is from WA.

Hardly growing the game amongst converts, when the top academy kids come from AFL supporting families and are indoctrinated into the sport from a young age by their families.
I believe Bowes grew up in Cairns but his family is now in Vic. Maybe he lived in Vic as a youngin, not 100% sure on that

Aren't you just a ray of sunshine?

FWIW Bowes was born and raised in Cairns.

You know, you don't have to go tit for tat, school yard type behaviour if some one posts something that's not glowingly positive about your club.

You weren't the only club to get back a 5th round pick in a lopsided trade.

Man, if you ever visited the Lions board, you would have seen me be scathing about us getting back 3rd and 4th round picks in trades.

As for Ely, he's happy in Brisbane, and is slowly coming out of his shell. He's just one of those quiet types that isn't big on showing emotions or talking much. He's more like the quiet neighbour you hardly hear anything about, takes his pillow on two hour plane flights, until the police rock up to your neighbours house to arrest him for being a ax wielding mass murderer.
I was really hoping the Suns would land Ely. Looks like he’s going to be a bull. Lions is the next best club for him from my perspective.

You got back a future 5th round pick in the end. Almost worthless. Token gesture.
It is a future 4th round pick, just like the one we used to draft Caleb Graham. Since we gave our 2nd and 3rd round picks to you guys, I'd say the pick will turn out quite a bit less than useless. Of course, all our eggs are in the Lions basket in 2019, so if your boys would just oblige us and lose all year that 1st round pick you gave us will really come in handy.

I believe Bowes grew up in Cairns but his family is now in Vic. Maybe he lived in Vic as a youngin, not 100% sure on that
Aren't you just a ray of sunshine?

FWIW Bowes was born and raised in Cairns.
Ok, so Bowes parents are from Vic and moved to Cairns for work.

06D5C707-DE54-4260-A7B0-891B6DE48B52.png
It is a future 4th round pick, just like the one we used to draft Caleb Graham. Since we gave our 2nd and 3rd round picks to you guys, I'd say the pick will turn out quite a bit less than useless. Of course, all our eggs are in the Lions basket in 2019, so if your boys would just oblige us and lose all year that 1st round pick you gave us will really come in handy.
Have you watched your draft night video, where at the end it says the Suns received back a 5th round pick in the trade.

Also from the AFL website, it shows it was a future 5th round pick you received back in the trade.

It’s useless in that it’s West Coasts pick, likely to be at the back end of the 5th round, and have no points attached to it.

Trust me, I wasn’t a fan of that trade where we sent our future first round pick to you guys. Unless we make the top 4, it really looks like a lopsided trade.

Last edited:
View attachment 595009
Have you watched your draft night video, where at the end it says the Suns received back a 5th round pick in the trade.

Also from the AFL website, it shows it was a future 5th round pick you received back in the trade.

It’s useless in that it’s West Coasts pick, likely to be at the back end of the 5th round, and have no points attached to it.

Trust me, I wasn’t a fan of that trade where we sent our future first round pick to you guys. Unless we make the top 4, it really looks like a lopsided trade.

Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 2.04.39 pm.png

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...k/news-story/e3f5745adfa7ead12530a990c3a57733

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back