Autopsy Round 4, 2019: St.Kilda v Hawthorn *BLUE RIBBON CUP*

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't watch it live. Had to avoid the score until this morning. Just finished watching. I'm still shaking. Well worth taking a few hours TOIL. What a nailbiter. Just an awesome game of footy, both teams giving their all. Well done to the Hawks, especially with 2 off in the second half. But we got the WIN!

Billings was also working hard to get back and help the backline. Plenty of times we looked in trouble and one of Billings or Newnes would pop up to give us the extra number. The work rate from these two guys this year has been exceptional.

Great to hear Billings starting to get a bit of recognition too. Lyon and Watson on SEN both suggesting he is closing the gap between himself and Josh Kelly.

Newnes is and will always he underrated I think. Great to see him get back into form because we all knew he could play.

That mark by Billings going back was great to see. Can’t be accusing of shying from the contest anymore

you know what i love about celebrating our wins. reading a bunch of posts where we proceed to hang s**t on our own supporters.

most clubs tend to find ways to needle the opposition. not us. take the bat to those who are actually on your side.

no wonder we have an untapped supporter base and continually have instability within the club. it's like the motto was some sick joke.
That'll boost the membership, for sure. From the Hilary Clinton school of campaigning: "You suck! You suck! You suck! So vote for me!"

Nope. He played a ripper round 1 last year and out of team shortly after
That is complete rubbish. He was our 2nd best in that R1 game (when given the opportunity to play mainly midfield- where he's by far at his best)- which was his 3rd game of 30 disposals and a goal in his last 5 games, so not the one good game in 10 crap you're suggesting- but was then played forward again for the following weeks, where he continued to play well- despite being played out of position- then when given another good go in the midfield against GWS in R5, he had 29 disposals.

But by that stage he was playing with the groin injury that ended up keeping him out for 3 months, and was rested for a week two weeks later, to see if it would recover, but it then got even worse when he returned the following week, and he then missed the next 3 months.

He was most definitely not dropped. He was injured. I would have thought everyone was well aware of that. It was publicised and everyone on here knew about it as well. So you're either very ignorant, or trying to be deliberately deceptive or misleading.

Last edited:
VevhQqa.jpg

My heart rate late in the game. This club will be the end of me one day!
If I die from a heart-attack at the end of a game like that... well, there's worse ways to go...

The growth as leaders over the past month in Newnes, Ross, Billings, Gresham & Lonie to name a few has been massive. Armo is obviously no longer best 22 & the injuries to Robbo, Hanneberry, Steven & Carlisle has allowed our next generation to develop their leadership skills. They are no longer hiding behind the older guys & are leading from the front. It could be the making of this group.

The back to his old self Newnes has been a super valuable contributor all year. He is the first player to go in head first when there is a ball to be won and does the hard stuff. He's got a bit of Geary about him with a bit more class. He's been massive in our turn around. Ross has been a bit meh up until yesterday. Billings and Gresham have both step up a lot.

Lone Dog deserves his own post, from where he was at the start of last year to now has been incredible. He was in and out of the side every week and took his medicine by going back to Sandy and getting close to BOG most weeks. Yesterday he was our pace setter, he lead the side with his actions more than anyone IMO. He does stuff that carries the team with him. For the guy who's the smallest person playing in most matches, he'll do the bravest acts. He'll take a hit and bounce back up without a grimace. He's as hard as a cat's head.

They were 3 players down today
Yes of course I'm happy but we should've smashed them
Somethng that I think needs to be taken into account as well though is that we not only played in Perth last week (and a lot of teams struggle to back up from playing over there), but that we also had what would have been a deflating loss (having had so many chances to kick more goals, but narrowly losing), and for much of the first 2.5 quarters yesterday I was wondering if us being well below our best was largely struggling to get up after the trip over there and the deflating loss.

But then we finally got ourselves into gear about half way through the third (by which time Hawthorn wouldn't have been struggling physically I wouldn't have thought, especially with us also being one down) and we really dominated general play from that point on- kicking 4.8 to 0.2 from the 16 minute mark of the 3rd quarter to the final siren.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks killed us at centre bounces yesterday.

As I posted last night they are simply cleaner and better drilled than we are in terms of skill and execution at this stage.

It's an area we need to improve if we are to become serious finals contenders.

Has we broken even, we would have won by more IMO.

So yes, if we don't address this next week, Melbourne will also clean us up in the square given the calibre of their onside mids.
You must be watching a different game to that other poster also. Maybe he was literally watching a different game.

Looking at Scully running around and considering what hawks paid for him is ridiculous. They got Scrimshaw for peanuts too. I wonder how they manage to pull these trades every year..

It's Hawthorn. They have great facilities and getting better, well connected, and are a decent year away from winning a flag at all times.

Still need to fix the forward line- it just doesn't function as a unit. We can't afford the midfield to have these lapses for half a quarter- we got away with it against Freo and Hawks, but we will get caught out. Desperation and fitness definitely improved. Need to bottle Lonie's desire- it is really important for guys to play with that commitment.

I think the forwards have been pretty good so far this year. The Hawks look to have isolated and trapped Bruce and Membrey obviously thinking that it would snuff out our scoring. Last few years it would have worked. We still work back in numbers and the Hawks always kept a pretty much 3 man set up when we sometimes didn't have a single forward in our front 50. We flood back in a running wave and usually it's only a few forwards arriving to an already set up back 6. Players like Sicily just cut across in front and pick off the entries. Our forwards then are very good at locking up the ball in our forward half using mids and backs to block up space. Our tall forwards don't have to kick 5 goals, they use their athleticism to work up and down the field.

Hawks killed us at centre bounces yesterday.

As I posted last night they are simply cleaner and better drilled than we are in terms of skill and execution at this stage.

It's an area we need to improve if we are to become serious finals contenders.

Has we broken even, we would have won by more IMO.

So yes, if we don't address this next week, Melbourne will also clean us up in the square given the calibre of their onside mids.

They seem to rove the ball off the ruck contest better than our guys. Worpol etc were just very good at running in and taking off with the ball tucked under their arm. We seemed to be very good at defending the entries from it though.

Loving the club means nothing if you have other issues. How we go and how he is mentally will decide his future. He certainly isn’t certain to stay.
Thats true. But the question wasnt about whether mentally if he will stay. it was about a rumour that he will take up an offer from geelong.

Last edited:
You must be watching a different game to that other poster also. Maybe he was literally watching a different game.

They did seem to rove very well to me too. I was surprised that we won clearance to be honest. They have much more obvious inside players who seemed to get plenty of ball when it was tight, it was shattering my nerves that they seemed to keep taking it cleanly out of the middle. We seemed to be dominating most other ares of the game though.

Long & Parker's numbers don't show their true influence. They add a new dimension and instill panic for the oppo and give us confidence that we're the ones hunting. I wasn't at the game, but I imagine Long's efforts would have been more visible live. Even both of their abilities to make up ground and whack into a player just as they kick it, leaves a few bruised ribs and twisted legs - real good dirty stuff, I love it.

Billings played like a man. Him and Gresh are capable midfielders and we're sitting 3-1. I'll take it.

Is Membrey injured?

The team that wins the flag doesn't beat anyone above them.

LOL i'm glad you figured out how my tongue was in my cheek :p

Especially the first round, no-one has beaten anyone who is higher than them on the ladder. Its really dumb when people say that :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back