Religion Folau

Remove this Banner Ad

If he posted it as his personal opinion it would have made it worse. It leaves him nowhere to go.

Right now he's repeated teachings from his religion.
Wrong, right now rugby has no choice but to sack him.
He made a statement of fact, another words this will happen if... If it was of belief this impies it does not mean it is true but i just believe it.
Rugby may have had some leeway.

"Rugby is a sport that continuously works to unite people. We want everyone to feel safe and welcome in our game and no vilification based on race, gender, religion or sexuality is acceptable and no language that isolates, divides or insults people based on any of those factors can be tolerated.

https://www.rugbyau.com/news/2019/0...-rugby-union-statement-regarding-israel-folau

Isn't sacking someone based on their religious beliefs Religious vilification.

"Rugby is a sport that continuously works to unite people. We want everyone to feel safe and welcome in our game and no vilification based on race, gender, religion or sexuality is acceptable and no language that isolates, divides or insults people based on any of those factors can be tolerated.

https://www.rugbyau.com/news/2019/0...-rugby-union-statement-regarding-israel-folau

Isn't sacking someone based on their religious beliefs Religious vilification.

He hasn't been sacked (has he been sacked?) for his religious beliefs. He's been sacked for his actions. There's a big difference. Particularly after he'd been told to stop posting crap like he did by the ARU.

Anyways back to the topic. He was possibly the worst AFL footballer of all time, GWS are now flying and the AFL don't need the negative publicity. No chance he is coming back to the AFL.

He hasn't been sacked (has he been sacked?) for his religious beliefs. He's been sacked for his actions. There's a big difference. Particularly after he'd been told to stop posting crap like he did by the ARU.

Anyways back to the topic. He was possibly the worst AFL footballer of all time, GWS are now flying and the AFL don't need the negative publicity. No chance he is coming back to the AFL.

His actions have everything to do with his religious beliefs though. He was/is going to be sacked for tweeting his religious beliefs. It would be interesting to see if it played out in court

I think he will get a full payout though anyway TBH

His actions have everything to do with his religious beliefs though. He was/is going to be sacked for tweeting his religious beliefs. It would be interesting to see if it played out in court

Religious beliefs do not give you the right to work outside the secular laws of the land. If part of his contract of employment was not to tweet offensive stuff then I can't see how he wins. Why couldn't be tweet something like "Proud to be a Christian" or "God Bless You All" - that is an expression of his religious beliefs without attacking a large part of the population.

The whole "freedom of speech" thing is such bullshit.

Nobody is stopping him posting his cross god bullshit.

But if he wants to work for an organisation, he has to abide by their conditions, one of which is no posting hateful cross god bullshit.

(Also, Izzy, the Bible is pretty clear on not having tattoos either, you hypocritical deadshit)

If a fundamentalist Muslim believed in chopping off a child's hand for shoplifting, is it acceptable for them to do so in Australian society?

Similarly, hate speech is not acceptable in our society.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only reason he came to AF was the silly money he was offered to come.
He had no interest in being a decent player. For him it was always about the money.
When he left GWS he could have gone back to Rugby League, but instead chose to play Rugby union as they offered more money. If and when he's sacked he will have offers to play other sports perhaps and and he he does chose to keep playing it will purely for the money. Purely for the team/sport that offers him most money.

If a fundamentalist Muslim believed in chopping off a child's hand for shoplifting, is it acceptable for them to do so in Australian society?

Similarly, hate speech is not acceptable in our society.

No , it is not acceptable for them to do it.It is 100% acceptable for them to say it though

The only reason he came to AF was the silly money he was offered to come.
He had no interest in being a decent player. For him it was always about the money.
When he left GWS he could have gone back to Rugby League, but instead chose to play Rugby union as they offered more money. If and when he's sacked he will have offers to play other sports perhaps and and he he does chose to keep playing it will purely for the money. Purely for the team/sport that offers him most money.

Just as Jesus would have wanted it.

No , it is not acceptable for them to do it.It is 100% acceptable for them to say it though

Yeah nah, it isn't, the yelling fire in a crowded theatre principle applies.

And it is 100% acceptable for people to take him to task over it as it is 100% acceptable for him employer to fire him for bringing the game into disrepute.

Even for the sanctimonious arseholes among us, there are consequences.

Peter Fitzsimons made an excellent point on C9 yesterday. If I wore an "All Gays Are Going To Hell" t-shirt to work, it is reasonable to expect that I would get the sack.

Well, homophobe Folau did much the same thing, only he spread his message of hate to many, many more people who have access to his social media. Yes, he is entitled to his beliefs. No, he is not entitled to publicly demonise people beacuse of who they are.

The Christians will have you believe that theirs is an accepting and peaceful religion. That is, until they can get involved in a war against other religions, a good old fashioned paedophile ring or some public condemnation of those who are different. Then they go all fire and brimstone. What charitable, non-judgemental people they are.

And it is 100% acceptable for people to take him to task over it as it is 100% acceptable for him employer to fire him for bringing the game into disrepute.

Even for the sanctimonious arseholes among us, there are consequences.

I am not arguing against any of that.

I just think it is a bit of hypocrisy.

For RA and the Waratahs to say they are against religious vilification but then sack someone for expressing their Religious beliefs I think it leaves them open to legal ramifications.

I am not arguing against any of that.

I just think it is a bit of hypocrisy.

For RA and the Waratahs to say they are against religious vilification but then sack someone for expressing their Religious beliefs I think it leaves them open to legal ramifications.

I get that you are not arguing for what Folau said. The problem he is going to have is to how his contact is worded. I am certain there would be something in there about his social media activity and not bringing his sport into disrepute. He also has history which won't help his cause. You can have your religious beliefs without publicly vilifying those who your beliefs allegedly allow you to alienate.

He is not only a sanctimonious prick, he is also quite clearly a moron given the very public warning he was given last time.

Nah it really doesn't . It's not even close to the same thing.

Yeah, the call to jihad, calling for people to drive cars into crowds in the name of Islam, you're fine with that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back