Autopsy Round 8, 2019: St.Kilda v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

why is there so much hate for Ross on here . He had 31 disposals and 9 score involvements. His disposals arent always great but he gives a 100% every game .

At the moment any hint of pressure and he rushes it on to his boot. He needs to clean up his centre clearances for me.

Just sad.

Nothing else.

This year was going well for us. The Lonie injury turned it all on its head. NOw we’re in a slump.

I’m not going to accept honourable losses or anything here either. That shouldn’t have been an honourable loss. Their poor kicking in the last let us back in.

Where is our next win going to come from now?
Against Carlton in two weeks. And that is okay.

Hannebery hasn’t played a game for us and you’re telling me Geary is fixing our forward entries??? He’s underrated but gee wizzz....

Carlisle alright maybe I can concede that one
In fairness you did say fwd entries and def junk time def lapses

There are pivotal moments in every game. Last week it was Parker hitting the post. Tonight it was Kent missing the snapshot in the 3rd quarter. With our injury list, we have to take every chance given to us and constantly put the opposition under scoreboard pressure. We have shown we can match good teams but we just don't do it for long enough.
Speaking of Long....that was a mare for him. Think he needs to be front and square to Winx at Sandy for a while.
Great to see Bruce clunking them again, as all good power forwards should. I'm disappointed but not devastated, which is a far cry from last year.

why is there so much hate for Ross on here . He had 31 disposals and 9 score involvements. His disposals arent always great but he gives a 100% every game .

You’ll also notice with Ross that a lot of handballs he gives out to team mates even when he’s not under a great deal of pressure are either loopy, behind them or generally difficult to catch. The player often is able to make it work and therefore it’s “effective” but it just disrupts their ability to quickly move it on.

Can anyone point out something that Richo has achieved as coach in the last 5 seasons?

I thought Ratten was the Coach?
Well that's what you lot said after the 4 wins this year.

To the coaching teams credit they tried different tactics and also tried to change things up going into the last.
When you are 2 A graders short in the mids and 1 less tall forward it shows like it did tonight.

Against Carlton in two weeks. And that is okay.
A couple of years ago we knocked off a heavily-fancied Collingfilth at the MCG on the back of a Billings breakout game.

Then there’s the Paperbaggers, who got done by 10 goals last week by bloody Norf...

Port in a China will probably be nasty, but the Suns and Lions are both eminently beatable too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm Dunny's biggest critic but he's shown again he can't play a full match. Was at 17 disposals at half time then ended up petering out as the game went on. I concede Seb was terrible tonight though, he was like a turn over machine.
On one hand you say that when we were coming late in the game he was really strong with 2nd and 3rd efforts!
Then you say he has shown once again he can't run out games! WTF?

You know i love you Gringo, but you sure your not more pissed than me? ;)
BTW If you are, then that's some effort and well played, because i am absolutely S*it faced! o_O

On one hand you say that when we were coming late in the game he was really strong with 2nd and 3rd efforts!
Then you say he has shown once again he can't run out games! WTF?

You know i love you Gringo, but you sure your not more pissed than me? ;)
BTW If you are, then that's some effort and well played, because i am absolutely S*it faced! o_O

I'm sobering up, I'm feeling shady now. I thought he was good no matter what and that's all I want, I love Dunny but he's frustrating.

Dunstan may have petered off but he worked his arse off - he even smothered a kick at the last center bounce.
Also a certain Jack Steven disposal inside 50 with that gloriously flowing moulet would help our inside 50’s.
As a hypothetical; what happens if King kicks 6? Or 12? Do we keep him in the 2’s? Bring him in V Carlton?
What happens if he kicks none?
Think we need to temper our expectations on the kid - and he is a kid.

It’s his half arsed chases, then when the bloke he was chasing gets the easy mark he drops his head or throws his hands up. He acting captain at the moment, of a young side. Needs to set an example.

And yes I know Roo got frustrated too.
I don't think its half assed. Ross just takes a fair while to get to top pace. When he does he is actually pretty quick but it can result in a big gap between him and his opponents when chasing defensively.

Sixth time in eight games we have kicked either 9 or 10 goals. This seems to be an endemic pattern. I’m not sensing it’s a cycle that will change dramatically.

Mids mids and mids. We need class, speed and skill. Time we drafted and developed some genuine mids.
Couldn’t agree more. I honestly think unless we are able to pick up 1 or 2 mid twenty year old gun midfielders through trades (which seems highly unlikely) we will be stuck outside the eight until we draft another couple of gun mids which will also then take a couple of years to develop them like Clark at the moment. It also makes me wonder whether our development is set up right with Clark under performing and coffield with all the traits to be a gun mid not getting a run at sandy through the middle.

Yeah, I just don't get the doom and gloom. There are still 9 VERY winnable games this year, with plenty of real talent to return in the second half of the season.

Hypothetical, do you see us stopping a Degoey lets say if it really matters and all you have is 1 effort?

Because I don't. I see '97 repeating and two blokes pantsing us, '09 happening and a bloke kicking 3 in 5 minutes, something will happen where this group just can't go with or stop from happening.

He turned the ball over a lot and did a lot of stupid things when he had it.

He had a dirty game.

For mine in part because the midfield is hard rubbish.

Seb generally reads the play well, Steele generally reads it well if he's focusing on running with a player that does, Gresh is similar in reading it well straight. Other blokes are 2-3 steps behind relying on other things, dinky little passes, paddles and have "slow" moments of assessing situations or holding possession that much longer. Not really including wingers since they dont really impact the initial clearance.

In part yes, disposal issues because they happen, but I give a lot of concession where you see a player actually read the play well, gain possession due to it, expand and then have to cease, stop, admit defeat and do extra work to continue success because others just aren't up to it. And that's part of Sebs disposal problem, he's waiting for those 2-3 steps for others to catch up, both to his side and in front of him.

You just don't have a bloke who can get 30+, hit a tit from 55m away plush and go hand in hand with "oh he's got poor disposal", there's always more.

Yeah, I just don't get the doom and gloom. There are still 9 VERY winnable games this year, with plenty of real talent to return in the second half of the season.

For me it's about our obvious lack of skill... and poor decision making. It's a theme that has gone on too long, and is just bloody frustrating to watch.

Dunstan may have petered off but he worked his arse off - he even smothered a kick at the last center bounce.
Also a certain Jack Steven disposal inside 50 with that gloriously flowing moulet would help our inside 50’s.
As a hypothetical; what happens if King kicks 6? Or 12? Do we keep him in the 2’s? Bring him in V Carlton?
What happens if he kicks none?
Think we need to temper our expectations on the kid - and he is a kid.

If he kicks 6+ bring him in next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back