List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He has to be gone by years end, hopefully sooner.

I will always be thankful for the way he transformed us into a professional outfit and got us to our first GF, however it's time for a change.

The game has moved past him and tbh I just want to watch us play attractive football again.

What I don’t understand is how we can go from the attacking, contested brand of footy from the first six rounds to the defensive, flooding, contested style the past three rounds. It’s like night and day. What frustrates the heck out of me is when you see teams with elite ball users from kick ins start the play with an aggressive kick. Too many times we just pass it to a bloke 15m away in the pocket and bomb it long up the line where at best we force a contest. Have a setup where the players work hard and spread to open it up and at least give us a chance to attack freely.

What I don’t understand is how we can go from the attacking, contested brand of footy from the first six rounds to the defensive, flooding, contested style the past three rounds. It’s like night and day. What frustrates the heck out of me is when you see teams with elite ball users from kick ins start the play with an aggressive kick. Too many times we just pass it to a bloke 15m away in the pocket and bomb it long up the line where at best we force a contest. Have a setup where the players work hard and spread to open it up and at least give us a chance to attack freely.

Other teams have worked us out, that's why. Woosha knew his team was crap, and preceded to do a Lyon and clog the game up. But this has been happening since the Adelaide game.

I feel like the club is in grave danger of losing some of our young Victorians, if they don’t take some sort of action on Ross and the coaching panel. If I was Cerra and had gone from being a silky midfielder who lacked a tank, to a role player with no role who lacks skills, I would be looking to get out.

I also feel like the longer we go robbing players of their football strengths and confidence the longer it will take for them to come back. It took Collingwood a season and a half to restore Chris Mayne’s confidence and abilities.

I don’t know what the right thing to do is, as there is no obvious caretaker coach, but I feel some crisis meetings are needed.

I feel like the club is in grave danger of losing some of our young Victorians, if they don’t take some sort of action on Ross and the coaching panel. If I was Cerra and had gone from being a silky midfielder who lacked a tank, to a role player with no role who lacks skills, I would be looking to get out.

I also feel like the longer we go robbing players of their football strengths and confidence the longer it will take for them to come back. It took Collingwood a season and a half to restore Chris Mayne’s confidence and abilities.

I don’t know what the right thing to do is, as there is no obvious caretaker coach, but I feel some crisis meetings are needed.

Yep.

I think the confidence of our players is a huge issue.

When someone doesnt have confidence they don't play to their strengths, they second guess themselves and thats certainly what I'm seeing at the moment.

Are we more attacking, less attacking, who knows. I do know that outside of a handful of players we arent playing with any real conviction.

How confident a team is playing as a whole is completely and utterly the responsibility of the coach.

Yep.

I think the confidence of our players is a huge issue.

When someone doesnt have confidence they don't play to their strengths, they second guess themselves and thats certainly what I'm seeing at the moment.

Are we more attacking, less attacking, who knows. I do know that outside of a handful of players we arent playing with any real conviction.

How confident a team is playing as a whole is completely and utterly the responsibility of the coach.
I've been posting variations of this since the second half of 2015 and getting ridiculed.
I've stopped caring, as was said above by others, football used to be something I enjoyed on the weekend, now I barely endure watching us play and distract myself with playing guitar or reading during the game.
It's supposed to be entertainment, and that's what I want back.

Who's to know that Cerra will ever be a silky midfielder at AFL level though, hope he is only feeling the second year blues as he hardly seems to get out of a jog and work rate is questionable. Instead of looking to get out he should perhaps be thankful that he has been given as many games as he has as based on performance if we had been a stronger side he would have spent a lot more at Peel.

I've been posting variations of this since the second half of 2015 and getting ridiculed.
I've stopped caring, as was said above by others, football used to be something I enjoyed on the weekend, now I barely endure watching us play and distract myself with playing guitar or reading during the game.
It's supposed to be entertainment, and that's what I want back.
The concept of footy being a joy to watch and entertainment and we would be happy to lose 120-90 as long as its enjoyable is crap, any team would be happy to win most of their games even if the score was 60-50, a win is a win. Eagles are currently playing 1 quarter every week but winning most games, don't see all the complaints from their fans.... let's face it, Ross was not the killer of football enjoyment by coaching defensively, that was done by the Swans who won the GF in 2005 by scoring 58 points and playing 90% of the team on the ball.

The concept of footy being a joy to watch and entertainment and we would be happy to lose 120-90 as long as its enjoyable is crap, any team would be happy to win most of their games even if the score was 60-50, a win is a win. Eagles are currently playing 1 quarter every week but winning most games, don't see all the complaints from their fans.... let's face it, Ross was not the killer of football enjoyment by coaching defensively, that was done by the Swans who won the GF in 2005 by scoring 58 points and playing 90% of the team on the ball.

It's not crap when we are losing anyway. There really isn't anything further to lose by playing more exciting football. The way we play now gives little hope for the way forward. For both spectators and the players. Lyon's style is doomed and will never win a flag.

When you are playing a good brand, but losing, you can at least see how the team can rise and it does give you some excitement. See Brisbane over the last few years. Right now a huge chunk of the supporter base has basically stopped caring.

Yep, and he’s still basically using the same plan today.
That's an indictment on the guy if he is.

But then, why do the players appear to back him so much?
What happened against GWS and North?

I just don't get it. 15 years with the same plan and he's still around.
I just give up!!! I don't know what's going on anymore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happened against GWS and North?

I just don't get it. 15 years with the same plan and he's still around.
I just give up!!! I don't know what's going on anymore

I think against those two teams we saw what our game-plan can look like when the opposing team is doing nothing to counter it. Both teams are known for being sides that are often prone to just allowing their opponents to play however they'd like. We definetly saw that against North. Other teams have seen that and worked a little harder to counter us. Countering us seems to be quite easy atm (all other 7 clubs we've played have done it to some degree).

Where that leaves us? I don't think anyone knows. Funnily enough I think Brisbane aren't particularly good at curtailing an oppositions strengths either so I wouldn't be surprised if we have a very solid 100-80 type win against em next week.

Think we just need to buckle in. ride out the season and then see where we are with Ross then.

Literally the whole football world, no matter if they watch a freo game or not, blame Ross’s game style without question if we lose and it’s low scoring.

How about looking at were just out of form and low on confidence up forward atm? Last 2 weeks we’ve won the i50 count but were dropping easy marks and missing easy goals. Kicked 26 behinds combined last 2 weeks and I can think of 5 minimum in each we should have kicked easy.

There’s absolutely no pressure applied to defenses and teams are walking it out too often.
The talls are more interested in getting one over the back atm rather than leading up.

For me the issue is conversion and locking it forward. All comes back to our skills all round.

Hogan should have kicked 6 the last 2 weeks combined.

We had decided not to renew next season and put the couple of grand we spend into our holiday nest egg. We have the grandkids overseas and we need every cent we can scrounge up to get to see them. We will go to the odd select game though. It was a really tough decision but games like tonite make it just a little more easy. We have been members for a long time.
Im interstate so have the minimum membership with the GF upgrade.
Cost about $170 per year. Maybe look at that option?

The instruction from Ross (at least, according to his presser) is if you are in range, you take the set shot and also take the 30 seconds to go through your routine, which also gives the team mates legs a rest. So some players didn't take a few shots that they should have (some of those passes were rebounded to rub salt in to the wound), had they taken their shots (and not rushed it thanks BHill) that could have been a win.

The game plan actually holds up okay, we got the ball to our forwards more than Essendon, we gave ourselves the opportunity but did not make the most of it. Better quality entries do help, but 56 entries should give more than 7 goals (some shots at goal are outside of 50, so opportunity is greater than the amount of inside 50's). I think you mob are confusing cause with effect, I'm up for a new forward coach.
I think you have to take into consideration what forward-line we got it more times into. We don't even try to kick into an open forward-line. We put all our players in the forward half to try and keep the ball in our forward line and get hurt when the opposition run it out into an open forward line because we lack pace and defensive run. That gives the opposition easy sling-shot goals which hurts because we don't score ourselves (because our forward is congested). Round and round we go. This would have to be the most gutless game plan I have ever seen, even by Ross' standards.

my biggest fear is ross will turn us into st kilda....just look at how they have never fully recovred since he left
What people don’t realize is the state the management/CEO left the club in. They’re the ones responsible for poor recruiting and retainment of players. Bell has our better positioned if we do move Ross on. Better set up and players still to develop

I’m not a Ross advocate and I have been out of faith for sometime with the direction in which we have headed and the position in which we find ourselves now.
The midfield is a two ends of the spectrum- young by virtue of list management Cerra and Brayshaw - middle aged and retirement age - Fyfe then Mundy.
The middle bracket is inconsistent and may be only B grade at best.
We need a genuine mid to assist and help Fyfe.
Kelly imo is the answer - and so to is saying thanks for the memories to Lyon.
Our next coach is waiting at Collingwood - learning under a senior coach that has evolved and Changed out of necessity.
Come on down coach Justin Longmuir.

I think you have to take into consideration what forward-line we got it more times into. We don't even try to kick into an open forward-line. We put all our players in the forward half to try and keep the ball in our forward line and get hurt when the opposition run it out into an open forward line because we lack pace and defensive run. That gives the opposition easy sling-shot goals which hurts because we don't score ourselves (because our forward is congested). Round and round we go. This would have to be the most gutless game plan I have ever seen, even by Ross' standards.

What team doesn't put all their players in the forward half when the ball is in the 50 arc. It is a rare moment that anyone is beyond the center square (for our part, we had Jesse there parked there fairly often instead of a small).

When on the attack, Hamling/Pearce etc for the most part stayed on their man with a little seperation (5 meters or so), so we had defenders covering outside of the 50 and no different to most teams. Possibly we could have dropped another player back to defend - but it was not needed, we contained them to 60 points - to do so is crazy talk as you are suggesting that Lyon needs to be more defensively minded o_O

Our 2 big issues with slingshot goals to the opposition was because we dropped several chest marks, should have been marked with a shot on goal for at least a point and everyone in position (instead of a slingshot) - or a friggin goal and no slingshot. Secondly several marks that we did take that should have been a shot at goal were quickly passed to a team mate instead, fumbled and Essendon just waltzed the ball out. That's several goal opportunities for us that were instead winging their way to Essendons forward line, those are multiple set shots that we should have taken that had nothing to do with congestion, running patterns etc.

The players don't have a lot of say in it. They are employees and he's the boss. Do you tell your boss at work that he's doing it wrong? You'd just get the sack if you did. If you don't like the way things are going you just leave and look for better opportunities elsewhere, which is what quite a few of our players have done over the last few years.

Back