Review Round 15 vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I Will never understand AFL coaches playing injured players. They all seem to do it a lot. If Houston was injured as was reported late in the week then why the hell not play Rocky instead?

Just coming from a soccer background we would just not play injured players. Makes no sense to me.. especially given he had fit players at their disposal.

Player management over the last two weeks is baffling considering the SANFL team had the bye.

I just will never understand how a coach can expect to get 100% from a 60% fit player.

Also with the benefit of hindsight Ladhams really shouldn't have played. He did ok and tried hard but he was made to play as a rove4 for a lot of the game

lol lets all whip an 11 game player whos averaging almost 2 goals a game, kicked more bags than neade could already and make him responsible for all the insipid pressure and skills we displayed against a bottomish side.

Farrell has been thrown in so many roles he wouldnt have a clue what his place is in the team. Vs freo he was having a fantastic game and as ken does if he sees someone in form he puts them in the place he needs them most. One out vs luke ryan in the goal square. He did the same thing to hartlett tonight by throwing him in the middle because wines wasnt hard enough and couldnt get his s**t together. This week ken decides Farrell to tag Daniel. Im almost 95% sure farrell had never played a defensive forward tagging role in his life and it showed as he was too focused on making sure daniel didnt get possys. He did a reasonable job. Ken could of been brave and made daniel defend farrell. Daniel is a good but not great player. Farrell is very good above his head and leading at the ball. Instead he was chasing daniels tail all night and couldnt play his natural game. Thats Kens fault not Kanes fault.

Before you all lose it with this comparison i know hes not on the same level as them but i see it as equivalent as Farrell probably is the best distributor and a low possy high hurt factor type in our team. You would have never see Clarkson send rioli to do a defensive role on a running half back. You wouldnt see wingard on a defensive role either. Yet we do it to the best distributor in our forward 50 then go and blame that our forward 50 delivery wasnt good enough. Instead we let sam gray do the distributor role and we see the outcome

Lets reflect on a handful of the stats shall we;

Won Disposals by 26
Won Inside 50s by 20
6 More Scoring shots
Higher DE% 59% v 57%
Won Free Kicks by 8
Won the Hit Outs by 41 yet LOST Clearances by 7.

And other goalless quarter, 13 points down at 3QT and cant kick a goal for the rest of the game.

Absolutely disgraceful.

I Will never understand AFL coaches playing injured players. They all seem to do it a lot. If Houston was injured as was reported late in the week then why the hell not play Rocky instead?

Just coming from a soccer background we would just not play injured players. Makes no sense to me.. especially given he had fit players at their disposal.

Player management over the last two weeks is baffling considering the SANFL team had the bye.

I just will never understand how a coach can expect to get 100% from a 60% fit player.

Also with the benefit of hindsight Ladhams really shouldn't have played. He did ok and tried hard but he was made to play as a rove4 for a lot of the game
I do not recall Houston playing as if injured.
His performance was down on the usual, but passable.
More than 3 changes to a team starts to interfere with team cohesion, and that was, in combination with weather and omnipresent poor game plan, the perfect storm we faced.
I was most disappointed with Wines, and I am no orphan in thinking that. I want the explanation I am not going to get. I will be livid if we are playing him injured. If his shoulder is troublesome then check him out now for the season. He does himself a disservice playing at his current standard, for whatever reason.

It's literally IMPOSSIBLE to draw a form line on your mob.
Kangas fans have been saying that since smashing Port by 90 odd points in 2004 and seeing us go on to win the flag

Absolute ******* rubbish.

Wet weather exposes who is soft and who isn’t, and we had entirely too many players who played soft. Every single time this team has a good win, they will immediately shoot themselves in the foot by serving up this sort of s**t. Typical “I did my job last week, but I’m too good to put in the same effort this week” garbage.

We didn’t even bring in players who would have actually be helpful like Rockliff, Westhoff and Powell-Pepper because the coaching staff kept the faith in the players who got the job done, and they serve up that sort of performance. Bombing it in when the opposition has stacked the backline, holding it up in transition...not switching play when they do hold it up. Always trying to pick the ball up under pressure instead of just kicking it forward out of congestion.

But there were some players who were particularly rubbish:

Kane Farrell - another four disposal game. How can you only get four disposals in a game like that? And his defensive actions are horrendous. He’s the forward version of Jared Polec before he wisened up. Back to the Magpies.

Brad Ebert - it’s wet. I get it. But 23% disposal efficiency? That means only 3 of his 13 disposals actually did something that benefited the team. He also had zero tackles. This is the performance of a player who was afraid of getting concussed again, because in the wet the chances of hitting your head into a stray knee are high if you get lower than the other player.

Whoever it was that did that ridiculous kick to centre half back in defence that killed all the momentum both of the team and the crowd in the third quarter - you should be investigated for match fixing. We had never tried to switch the ball like that the whole game, and you think now would be a good time? Horrible decision making.

The entire defensive unit as a whole - how the * can you not drop a player back to the goal square to stop goals off the ground when it’s wet, when most goals are going to be scored that way? How can you allow forwards to mark the ball in a contested situation as if it’s a dry ball because you can’t get a fist in? Not good enough.

The entire forward line as a whole - what the * was stopping you from playing in front of your man? It’s a wet day. If the ball is coming in low or it’s coming in high, you need to be in front of the contest to get to it first. The kick is going to drop short every single time.

This game was dog-mode, not god-mode. A lack of commitment from a group - including the coaches - to actually want to be respected as a good team. Good teams aren’t the ones who win against good opponents. They are the ones who win when they are favoured to do so.

The only bright spot is that there is no shortage of players that Howard, Amon, Westhoff and Rockliff can take the spot from next week.

Would you like to add obliterating North in Archer’s farewell final in 2007 and getting countersmashed by Geelong in the Grand Final?

Our performances against your mob are often very at odds with our usual form, so if our form line is hard to pick up its understandable

Would you like to add obliterating North in Archer’s farewell final in 2007 and getting countersmashed by Geelong in the Grand Final?

Okay. Do you feel better now? Can we start talking about Ports schizophrenic form line?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ain’t that the truth. We are literally bipolar. Spare a thought for us supporters.

Hey, I do mate.

It's bewildering to me, so I assume you folks are enduring an acid fuelled roller coaster ride in hell.

Coming off an inspiring win - as predictable as the sun rising in the east that we would have an insipid gutless loss against ordinary opposition the next week.
You just haven't been paying attention to us for very long

It's clearly an off field issue, as there's far too much talent on the list for this level of inconsistency.

Port needs a mini revolution.

Hey, I do mate.

It's bewildering to me, so I assume you folks are enduring an acid fuelled roller coaster ride in hell.
Liked for the symbolism yes yes it is exactly like an acid fuelled roller coaster ride in hell. The only thing I’d add is that there’s a monolithic statue of Ken drinking a Coke Zero in the middle of the roller coaster you have go through to finish the ride!

Lol weak. Club has put up Broges to face the media on fiveAA today.
Of course he is Hammer fronted up last nigh and Tredders ripped into the club. He didn’t say explicitly but I took his meaning to be where the * was Jonas or Wines to explain that s**t ?

Tommy was too busy tucking his Norwood mouth guard into his jocks and Ollie was flicking through ivory backscratchers on eBay

Ebert could have cleaned up Macrae when he took that mark in the back pocket in the 3rd qtr but he held back from fear of getting concussed again. Was not good enough.

We were 2 goals down in the last qtr and we played safe football by kicking down the boundary line repeatedly. Are these clowns for real?

Needed to take risks to win the game but we are a bunch of robots.

This must have been the first press conference where Ken didn't praise the opposition or come up with some bs about how 'somebody has to lose'.

The press conference talked about how Port are inconsistent.
Ken got asked by the Journalist how do you fix it?
Ken- "You don't get a choice. You keep coming back and try and get in that moment and give yourself another opportunity to prove to yourself first that you're capable of changing, and that narrative that goes around about us, we just have to keep coming back to that spot".
WTF was he trying to say!?
Here is the replay Ken presser

Remove this Banner Ad

Back