Review Round 15, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Melbourne

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

In a weekend of upsets it was great to be a winning favourite. I said to my daughter walking to the game a 4 goal win after a tough first half would be a good outing for a finals team. We have to win the ones we expect to win now. Well done boys great endeavour, it was tough early and bodies were battered but we ran out on top as we should. I hope Big O is ok, it looked shocking up close and almost in the same spot as May got Martin those few years back. And what was with May, he is an angry man, blowing up at his team mates and those 2 were not letting it go.

Only negative for me was inaccurate goal kicking, I hope it doesn't cost us a final, kicks strait in front should at least be close from senior players. On Rayner, he looks like he has lost some weight, he certainly looks slimmer up close around the middle.

Did the same in one of his games last year- potential to be a Dusty / De Goey clone
Big Richo from richmond used to do it as well, they called it doing the horse - he would drop his head and give it a shake like it was everyone else's fault. McStay just couldn't get near it and when he did he was inaccurate. Just a dirty day but with Skinner sitting by as emergency and playing the same role in the 2's he can't let it be more than a one off.

Off course they are, and I posted that I thought Cam was ordinary yesterday and I also thought he should have had a stint in the NEAFL before now....BUT I don't think it warrants a post like> Rayner can .... off. Do you?
That post was a was bit strong.

As a player who tends to be either vilified or ignored, Ryan Lester had a very solid game yesterday. There were a couple of occasions when his tactical awareness saved the day. Frequently it is stuff he does off the ball, running to the right spot defensively to take away an easy option for the other team or choosing to leave his direct opponent to cover for someone else.

There were a couple of defensive clearances as well that came it critical times and involved some quick thinking and real understanding of the flow of play to get the moment back in our favour.

Lyons game also can’t be understated. He was vital at so many turnovers and his pressure was exceptional I thought. Arguably his best game as a Lion.

I also thought we worked Gawn over pretty well, even before his ankle injury. Our players didn’t give him an easy day, especially stopping him taking those easy marks he likes in his forward half.

If we are going to recalibrate posting standards in game day threads, which I have no problems with, I presume that will also relate to opposition players and umpires? Logically all the same arguments surely apply to them. I have read some terrible personal comments made by people about the umpires, many made by posters who have taken objection to comments made in yesterday’s match thread.

Having read the latest post in the Mods thread, I’m sure our board will be a gentler and kinder place.

God the wave of emotions during the game is crazy sometimes. Can go too hard early but it’s only cause I love them and result sets the tone for my week. Not going to apologise for having a crack at Rayner he was no good. It’s easy now we won for people to say he was ok, he really wasn’t. I hope he wins 5 brownlows but does not mean he is exempt from copping **** like other players do.
You clearly have a different view on what being a real supporter is all about. The players and not whipping boys, be disappointed but leave it a that.

Forgoodness sake, still talking about it.
People get emotional during the games, There are highs where people say ridiculous **** and lows where people say ridiculous ****. PLayers aren't going to read game day threads because they are busy and they are pbviosuly playing while the game day thread is going on. People get offended way too easily. Move on and lets actually talk about the game. Every board does it, if anyone reads anyone else's game day thread you will realise that nothign is different from ours to theirs.

Should have won by more as we kept missing but that 1st half was dictated by such poor turnovers and decision making. Thank god we turned it around in the 2nd half. McStay needs to lift, barely sighted. Berry will be better for the run. Answorth is looking better every week.

So wait.. your position is - why are we still talking about it? ts rubbish.. lets just enjoy the win. And.. let me have the final say, defend my point of view and reignite the debate again for another three pages at the same time?

The hypocrisy on display here is astounding.

If we are going to recalibrate posting standards in game day threads, which I have no problems with, I presume that will also relate to opposition players and umpires? Logically all the same arguments surely apply to them. I have read some terrible personal comments made by people about the umpires, many made by posters who have taken objection to comments made in yesterday’s match thread.

Having read the latest post in the Mods thread, I’m sure our board will be a gentler and kinder place.

If the same blokes want to canabalise a 2nd year player on our team everyweek, in the way they did today (with that venomus, ugly tone to it), they will draw critisism from me. You can say what you like about the opposition, but ill be defending our young players. Its simple from my end.

If the same blokes want to canabalise a 2nd year player on our team everyweek, in the way they did today (with that venomus, ugly tone to it), they will draw critisism from me. You can say what you like about the opposition, but ill be defending our young players. Its simple from my end.
What about umpires?

What about umpires?

No, the umpires are not a 19 year old who is a part of the Lions family, my defence does not extend to umpires.

Are we really going to go here with this debate? This angle is a monumental waste of time.

Those who did it are comfortable with their actions. Those who chose to speak out againts it are happy with their actions. We have all had our say. No hard feelings from me.

Lets move on.

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes during the game you are typing quickly and with half an eye on the continuing game ... someone might be thinking 'wow that was a completely unhelpful and undisciplined act that stole a certain goal and gave the ball to the opposition instead which was exactly what the other player was trying to do riling you up in front of the umpire and you should have had more awareness of the sense of the game and not get sucked in by the opposition like that ... I am very disappointed with the outcome' ... what can come out is xxx is an idiot/moron, flip xxx, etc.

That is why I tend to take hot takes during games with a grain of salt ... and why we have reveiw threads for less emotionally charged responses (well after the first hour or so if we lose)

Not been feeling the best lately, so wasn't adding to the occasion with my usual LIONS chant in the game day thread.

Two things:

Firstly,

LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
:D

and second - rough performance by us in the first half. Rayner's confidence looks shot, and, despite it possibly infuriating some of you, I'm STILL backing Fagan on keeping him in the firsts. Now is the time when we need to stick fat with him and not bash him further - he'll come good. Trust me, I'm a doctor :p

As I have posted in the LID OFF thread, we'll roll GWS this week. We need fear no-one anymore and have the game plan, the players and the will to win against anyone.

Just watching on replay, about halfway through the 2nd quarter. We’ve been the much better side, and if not for a couple of posters, a bit of bad luck (McLuggage, Berry’s bounce), we’d be 5 goals in front.
I think I said it before the game , would like to see our boys bounce it a few times , certainly got that in the game, just a shame Bez had a shocker bounce.
Hope that doesn't discourage him , always exiting when we run the ball.

On the game or at the game , it looked like Melbourne had the ability to go one more handball from the center to a man on the outside and then they transitioned it beautifully, credit to them and their style. Mostly first half of the game. Also we burned the footy a lot when we were going forward ,still work in progress, bloody frustrating to watch at times.
Once we upped the intensity to attack the ball carrier we stopped them getting free and then we gained possession and started with some accurate ball movement.
But Hippy turned the game after half time , we were saying at the major break , not sure about Hippy , just not quite there and then bang.
great finishing , we need either him or McStay to do that regularly or at least have one of them to make the shots on goal count.
You could see our whole team lift when we were scoring goals , so it obviously taints the boys efforts in general play when we break down near to goal.
That's the next step , the question is can we get this right before finals time.
If we can do that and learn to spread faster off and on the ball when possession changes then we could beat any team.
Thought we could of used someone like Basti in those first two quarters for his link up qualities.

I wouldn't mind seeing maybe Keays for McStay or even possibly Walker , as I said earlier someone that can kick goals would be useful.
Pretty sure Keays would be an upgrade, not 100% on how Walker would go in front of goals as he's been defending.

Just had a skim through the first half of match thread.

Deadset... burn it down and salt the earth.

“It’s the internet...” doesn’t cut it as some catch all excuse for that shite. The internet is a communication technology, not an automatic free for all.

Even on IRC back in the mid 90s basic community mindedness still applied.

Everyone gets emotional on match day, but the problem is a small number of posters who seem to insist on making everyone know that their personal outrage is so much more significant than everyone else’s, and they post absolute s**t to make that clear. So instead of a “oh cmon Eric...lift dude” we get a perpetual arms race towards who can make the most excessively rude/cruel hot takes.

Then they act like victims and martyrs when people rightfully get jack of their schtick and call them out for it.

Sick of it. Take it to ******* Facebook.

Last edited:
What did people think of Bundys game? Created a few scoring opportunities but it was a pretty big step back from the St Kilda game. He’ll hold his spot but he’ll want to have more of an influence against GWS. Maybe get up the ground more.

I don’t mind the occasional way over the top comment about the club or an individual but it’s the persistent or opportunistic bagging of one or two individuals that gets frustrating and made worse when they expect everyone to be on their side. Also makes the poster look petty, vindictive, ignorant and big headed

Sometimes during the game you are typing quickly and with half an eye on the continuing game ... someone might be thinking 'wow that was a completely unhelpful and undisciplined act that stole a certain goal and gave the ball to the opposition instead which was exactly what the other player was trying to do riling you up in front of the umpire and you should have had more awareness of the sense of the game and not get sucked in by the opposition like that ... I am very disappointed with the outcome' ... what can come out is xxx is an idiot/moron, flip xxx, etc.

That is why I tend to take hot takes during games with a grain of salt ... and why we have reveiw threads for less emotionally charged responses (well after the first hour or so if we lose)
Well said.

Just had a skim through the first half of match thread.

Deadset... burn it down and salt the earth.

“It’s the internet...” doesn’t cut it as some catch all excuse for that ****e. The internet is a communication technology, not an automatic free for all.

Even on IRC back in the mid 90s basic community mindedness still applied.

Everyone gets emotional on match day, but the problem is a small number of posters who seem to insist on making everyone know that their personal outrage is so much more significant than everyone else’s, and they post absolute **** to make that clear. Then they act like victims and martyrs when people rightfully get jack of their schtick and call them out for it.

Sick of it. Take it to ******* Facebook.
That's why I'm not on Facebook, oh wait aparently I am with photos ,not consented I might add .
Why can't people just live in the moment .
Not going to bother to read game day thread , lifes too short.
Work to do , smoko to eat.
Not like some always on bloody holidays:D

In the pre game warm up hippy was slotting them from all angles. He does this every pre game. In the game he just replicated what he did in the pre game. I'm hoping it is a real confidence booster for him.

If Hipwood finds form now it would take us to another level.

What did people think of Bundys game? Created a few scoring opportunities but it was a pretty big step back from the St Kilda game. He’ll hold his spot but he’ll want to have more of an influence against GWS. Maybe get up the ground more.
I just rewatched the game and Bundy was ok. He made position, ran hard grabbed a goal and was instrumental in another. He probably played his greatest ever game against St.Kilda in terms of offensive pressure, so it was going to be hard to maintain that. I have been a critic, but he has said that he is enjoying his football again and it shows.

I thought it was a very mature game from Starce. Came in as the emergency (prob knew he was a good chance of playing) and played his role well. Didn't try to be a hero just did what he had to.
Also thought Bailey and Answerth were good too each playing a couple of different positions.
Like all team sports it's way easier to blood young players when the overall team is playing well.

Back