Autopsy Round 22, 2019: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Our mids can get the ball but they really struggled to defend yesterday. Too many statues.
The MCG resembled Easter Island 🙁

29ly0li.jpg

To find some positives out of today, the last few years it's been all about the "Jacks" but I reckon next year is gonna be all about the H's. Hunter Clarke, Hannebery, Hind and Hrowan Marshall are going to be huge for us I reckon. There's a lot to like about some of the young players, people say we've drafted poorly and while we could have done better we've got some pretty special players. I think Hunter Clarke could end up being our most important player in the next few years. Not to mention Hoffield has been looking better and better (but not as a defender)
EFA

It's a good sign that Hanners backed it up with another good game. He could be huge for us next season if we can manage his body right.
He just has to be
His ball use compared to the rest of our team, chalk & cheese

Can't seem to stay on the park for a full season. Also can't seem to get more than 12-15 disposals. From my view, it seems like the coaches have instructed him play more closely to his oppentents then worry abour rebounding the last few seasons.
Injury prone us it time to cash in on webster and see if another club can get some durability out of him. Could fetch a late first rounder early second. Which would be a great result condidering his original draft selection.

alright I just read 14 pages... I must really be avoiding something, anyway not gonna think about that now. But what I will say is that I think something pretty bloody crucial in us losing the game was our inability to lock the ball in our f50 or to bring the ball to ground during their transition.

Casboult started it, the internets says Juice weighs the same, but the eye test indicates casboult's about as hard to move as the american minimum wage, he's a stump (a very tall one at that). When it did go to ground, stuv, lonie, long, newnes when he was up there, provided about as much pressure as a water saving shower head, which meant our press didn't have enough time to set up properly.

But that doesn't excuse the fact that none of carlisle, brown, battle, or wilkie (dare I say it), did enough to half their contests when carlton went long down the line to a leading option or to a pack. They took 20 contested marks to our 10... not good.

Basically their transition kind of looked like a training drill, and I think that's a big part of what rats would have been so pissed off about. It really was unacceptable, and I'm glad he let them know it.

Can't seem to stay on the park for a full season. Also can't seem to get more than 12-15 disposals. From my view, it seems like the coaches have instructed him play more closely to his oppentents then worry abour rebounding the last few seasons.
Strange Comment. He only got under 20 disposals in three games last year - one he got injured in the first quarter and then against Essendon when everyone was terrible and in rd1.

Last edited:
alright I just read 14 pages... I must really be avoiding something, anyway not gonna think about that now. But what I will say is that I think something pretty bloody crucial in us losing the game was our inability to lock the ball in our f50 or to bring the ball to ground during their transition.

Casboult started it, the internets says Juice weighs the same, but the eye test indicates casboult's about as hard to move as the american minimum wage, he's a stump (a very tall one at that). When it did go to ground, stuv, lonie, long, newnes when he was up there, provided about as much pressure as a water saving shower head, which meant our press didn't have enough time to set up properly.

But that doesn't excuse the fact that none of carlisle, brown, battle, or wilkie (dare I say it), did enough to half their contests when carlton went long down the line to a leading option or to a pack. They took 20 contested marks to our 10... not good.

Basically their transition kind of looked like a training drill, and I think that's a big part of what rats would have been so pi**ed off about. It really was unacceptable, and I'm glad he let them know it.

Our inability to score from our forward half is was lost the game. Our smalls couldn’t lock it in & create repeat entries & our talls were continually out marked. Most of our goals were from our defensive half but as soon as we turned it over or failed to score it bounced back up the other end & they scored. That’s a lack or pressure & desire. Steven should not have played. Lonie looks sore & beaten up. Long still can’t run out a game. Newnes has checked out.

Our inability to score from our forward half is was lost the game. Our smalls couldn’t lock it in & create repeat entries & our talls were continually out marked. Most of our goals from our defensive half rebounding but as soon as we turned it over or failed to score it bounced back up the other end & they scored. That’s a lack or pressure & desire. Steven should not have played. Lonie looks sore & beaten up. Long still can’t run & a game. Newnes has checked out.
We were playing 3 players short with stuv lonie newnes all equally slow and useless. The upside is kent and parker can make i bigger impact. Longs a funny one he looks hard hits the contest but wont chase and tackle mmm. just not be able to complete 2nd and 3rd effort due to lack of afl standard fitness. Hes also with hind and clarke our best ball user.

Basically their transition kind of looked like a training drill, and I think that's a big part of what rats would have been so pi**ed off about. It really was unacceptable, and I'm glad he let them know it.
A good example was the end of the first half where we let them move it forward from the backline with 10secs left and they almost got that mark to Silvagni.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange Comment. He only got under 20 disposals in three games last year - one he got injured in the first quarter and then against Essendon when everyone was terrible and in rd1.

Last year was his best season games wise with 18. He got a bit of the ball, bit was not nowhere near attacking enough or line breaking with ball in hand as need be.

I think he will be fighting it out with Savage in the backline next year as a suspect Coffield will have the other spot nailed down. Paton will be competing with Geary for the shutdown role.

Geary/Paton Battle Webster/Savage
Wilkie/Marsh Carlsisle Coffield/Clark

Brown/Joyce will be looking to fill either Carlsile or Battle if Injury or form rules them out.

Last year was his best season games wise with 18. He got a bit of the ball, bit was not nowhere near attacking enough or line breaking with ball in hand as need be.

I think he will be fighting it out with Savage in the backline next year as a suspect Coffield will have the other spot nailed down. Paton will be competing with Geary for the shutdown role.

Geary/Paton Battle Webster/Savage
Wilkie/Marsh Carlsisle Coffield/Clark

Brown/Joyce will be looking to fill either Carlsile or Battle if Injury or form rules them out.
I think Jimmy being out so long has made you forget how good of a player he actually is. He is very damaging with the ball, quick enough by foot and has an elite left foot. Plus he can lock down on both smalls and smalls. he is easily ahead of Savage as a player, both with there attack he provides and in being a better defender.

I think Jimmy being out so long has made you forget how good of a player he actually is. He is very damaging with the ball, quick enough by foot and has an elite left foot. Plus he can lock down on both smalls and smalls. he is easily ahead of Savage as a player, both with there attack he provides and in being a better defender.
I agree with his qualities and rate him a better play than Savage. Both need to be involved more in offence situation and actually overlap and send the ball inside 50 more. Webster averages 1 inside 50 per game which imo he needs to up that and push harder forward considering he is one of our better ball users.

I'm not sure that is evidence based though. It seems to be a "vibe" situation.
I would have thought the fact Bytel posted better numbers (averaged almost 30 disposals and had very high contested and clearance numbers) in his underage year, than the likes of Clark, Worpel, Cerra and Dow did in their draft years, was a very reasonable amount of evidence.

Then went into his draft year expected to go first round (like your boy Worpel, who likewise had an excellent underage year), but missed a big chunk of it due to the back injury, that is now hopefully healed.

Is an inside pig, who is taller, much fitter and much more dual-sided than Dunstan.

No reason not to have high hopes for him if he's back to full fitness. Is just the type we really need if he plays to his ability.

For all those that are asking why Brown played, as if it was a bizarre selection, don't forget that had Weitering not gotten injured late and replaced by someone short, they were going to have a forward line of McKay (201cm), Casboult (198cm), McGovern and Silvagni.

As TB said yesterday, losing Weitering may have been a big blessing in disguise for them, as Casboult almost broke the record for intercept marks in a defensive role he otherwise wouldn't have had, while up the other end, Brown was left without a suitable matchup, because Casboult was moved to defence.

For all those that are asking why Brown played, as if it was a bizarre selection, don't forget that had Weitering not gotten injured late and replaced by someone short, they were going to have a forward line of McKay (201cm), Casboult (198cm), McGovern and Silvagni.

As TB said yesterday, losing Weitering may have been a big blessing in disguise for them, as Casboult almost broke the record for intercept marks in a defensive role he otherwise wouldn't have had, while up the other end, Brown was left without a suitable matchup, because Casboult was moved to defence.
Brown has been a solid get for us, but imo next week should be his last game in the seniors. We cancan't afford to have Wilkie, Carlisle and Battle all in the same backline.

Brown offers 0 going forward and has averaged 2 or so goals kicked against him on a regular basis. If retained should be teaching Battle how to play better 1v1 and also helping out Clav and Joyce down at Sandy.

Hes been good for 6 weeks hardly a great season
been good since rd8 when he came back in the side. received 21 coaches votes in five games during this time and is one of four payers in the competition to average 6+ clearances, 5+ tackles and 4+ inside-50s.

And even in what was a poor game he had 6 clearances, 5 inside 50s, 5 score involvements, 21 pressure acts, 300+ meters gained and 3 tackles from 68% game time which is his lowest since rd 3 (been comfortably playing 75% plus since then).

He just has to be
His ball use compared to the rest of our team, chalk & cheese
Was also our best contested player (13 CP and 8 clearances)

He's shown that he still clearly has the class that he used to, and it actually looks like his body is holding up pretty well apart from needing to build up his tank again. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here, because he's definitely in our best few players when fit.

Some observations from the Ponsford stand.
1. Staggered Webster didn't play. Thinking back to our better MCG performances over the past few years and he has been in our best in most of them. Plays the G well does Jimmy...

2. Get something for Acres now. We just can't keep going with his ying/yang style within a game. The 50 metre kick to two Carlton defenders with no Saints player within 30 metres that rebounded straight for a goal in the 2nd quarter just showed a "dumb" footballer that hasn't improved. The great of two strong contested marks later in the game should be the leverage in trade discussions not the reason to keep.

4. On the basis of watching two games this year against them, Carlton supporters want a game where there are 200 free kicks paid. They literally call for a free in every contest in a game and then howl with outrage when one isn't paid to them. What a sad bunch of f@#!s they are...some things never change I guess

Remove this Banner Ad

Back