Bluemour Melting Pot XIX - Give Me Ed Baby - Return of the Prodigal Son

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate of mine just told me, according to Bigfooty of course, that Viney is being cautiously but actively shopped around according to rumours.

Noticed a single bluemour about this and nothing more.

Had a look and there are plenty more posts from other clubs boards that reckon we are interested, but nothing much on here. Found that interesting.

Also in this thread from post #781

Laurie Angwin had all the attributes to be a gun footballer - him firing would have improved our list at the time enormously. Just saying
one of the very few times I could say I went to a game to see a particular player.................him and norman..............

Are we still talking about Bennell?
keep up

1f927a512a9909833c7b57ab40062fc5.jpg

That would be the single bluemour I was referring to.

More meant it hasn't been discussed much in here...even the Bulldogs board of all places had more comments about Viney and the Blues than here.

one of the very few times I could say I went to a game to see a particular player.................him and norman..............

Stormin' Norman!

Seems he is still around in the Ovens & King Football League, time to get him back?

Last edited:
Would be good to get players that don’t need to be gotten right, mentally or physically

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

High risk, massive reward...

Bennell was elite in an elite side, basically it was him and Ablett as the standouts...

We forget how good he was and half of his frustration is from injury...

Russell has history with players with broken bodies and broken minds: Burgoyne, O'Meara and was the man behind getting Scully.

Absolute no brainer if you ask me!

Bennell was elite in an elite side, basically it was him and Ablett as the standouts...

Russell has history with players with broken bodies and broken minds: Burgoyne, O'Meara and was the man behind getting Scully.

I haven't forgotten, it's just he's only ever shown glimpses. Calling him 'elite' is outrageous...elite talent sure, but not an elite player.

Burgoyne, JOM & Scully have pretty much always been the consummate professionals and models of dedication...Bennell on the other hand has had troubles with drugs and general professionalism...he isn't driven, he has skated by on his talent.

There is a reason SOS pretty much came in and immediately cut guys like Jaksch & Boekhorst...why would he pick up Bennell?
Also Agresta has spoken about recruiting 'competitors'...Bennell doesn't fit that mould.

Too high a risk.

Don't like bringing this up again, but I've seen nothing yet that this club is capable of getting the most out of its recruits.
Garlett was a talent also, but from what I saw, had better games for GC than he did with us.

Once we get our development program in order and our Northern Blues looks like a good training ground, then maybe we can start taking such risks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we have the leadership to handle a player like him. I highly doubt Bennell will have a larger impact on the kids than Cripps and Docherty, for example.

As I also said before, his off field issues really haven't been an issue for over 2 years. How many issues are there at Freo because of Harley? They kept bringing him back time and again even with his bodies failings. They wouldn't have done that if he was causing nothing but problems.

Trust me, you don’t want Bennell anywhere near the club. Freo couldn’t get him out quick enough. There were even players Freo chased last trade period who refused to go there because of him. Do not want at any cost

Too high a risk.

Don't like bringing this up again, but I've seen nothing yet that this club is capable of getting the most out of its recruits.
Garlett was a talent also, but from what I saw, had better games for GC than he did with us.

Once we get our development program in order and our Northern Blues looks like a good training ground, then maybe we can start taking such risks.
Agreed. And I think you would probably agree with me too on this, that the likes of Crippa are exceptions, but mostly because he has such incredible drive that it's not so much a credit to the club but to himself.

EDIT: of course you might be talking about recruits specifically from other clubs.

The story goes John Russo bullied the junior umpire that day (think his name was Murray Bird) not to give Greg Williams any votes that day. I think that umpire Bird came out years later in an interview saying that’s what happened.

Russo was (and still is) a tool.

That’s why I always refer to Greg Williams as a “Moral Triple Brownlow Medallist” and whenever Gavin Wanganeen got near a ball I used to yell out “give it back”.

:p
He is a true piece of work...

Harley Bennell has better stats than Brad Hill, Issac Smith and Tom Scully; three of the best wingers of the last decade.

Gets less of the ball than Gaff, but kicks 3x as many goals. Kicks more goals per game than Dusty! (just)

If his calves aren't made of paper mache and we could sort him out off-field, he would be a HUGE talent addition.

EDIT: Thanks Robbo
Yep. Sung that same tune a long while back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back