Bluemour Melting Pot XXI - Like seriously, the polar ice caps have got nothing on us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minor league players barely earn anything and get traded everywhere (sure some get signing bonuses but most don't)

Typical Australian sports want all the best bits of free agency without the bad bits, and typical AFL allow it without thinking how it works

Minor leagues are different, and they are not bound. They don't have to move. It's for the best of their career if they do go along with the move however. They can quit at any time and get redrafted, or force a waiver at the end of the season. Far more flexibility than the AFL system, even for the second tier of the competition.

There will be some major discussions when the CBA expires in 2022. Fur Shur.

Great news if we get Martin for free, even on an enhanced contract that offsets the need to use a future 2nd/9/whatever the trade was.

Wouldn’t mind trying to split 9 and trimmings into 16+21 with the Lions or even 14+24 for the Cats.

Take the best mid available and then the best small available, pick a slider with our 3rd and upgrade Gibbons.

Probably not fond of the Suns at the mo... but to my mind 15 & 20 for 9 and our 3rd sounds fair

Minor leagues are different, and they are not bound. They don't have to move. It's for the best of their career if they do go along with the move however. They can quit at any time and get redrafted, or force a waiver at the end of the season. Far more flexibility than the AFL system, even for the second tier of the competition.

There will be some major discussions when the CBA expires in 2022. Fur Shur.

That's the case for minor league players not drafted by MLB clubs (minor league free agents) - MLB clubs can and do trade players playing in their minor league teams under their control all the time - without consent. Most of them make hardly any money until/if they make the MLB level

Jack Martin's manager sounds like he's leaning towards skipping the ND and going straight to the pre-season draft. Confirms Martin will not be returning to Gold Coast, wants out because he believes his potential wasn't realised at the Suns and believes he can realise it elsewhere. Manager has also confirmed Carlton is absolutely still the priority, will be working to put a price on his head that Melbourne can't match.

Melbourne have given him a call and they got a similar response that they gave to Gold Coast in saying Martin is focused getting to Carlton.

Spoke highly of Carlton's culture and Martin's association to Paddy Cripps, the support and resources we have in relation to indigenous programs/culture. Martin asked if Eddie was coming.
Good summary BW, I was also listening to it in the car on the way home from the gym.

He sounded pretty hellbent that Martin will be at the Blues, either through the PSD or the ND....or through other strategies they are considering that he couldn't discuss. So basically exploring all avenues.

He stated pretty emphatically that Martin won't be returning to GC....oh, and apparently at the interview with Carlton, cheekily asked them if Eddie was coming to the club :)

It's probably already been covered, but heard the Pittonet interview on SEN on the way to the gym....sounds like an absolute gem!! I think he's potentially a great pick up for the club.

Good summary BW, I was also listening to it in the car on the way home from the gym.

He sounded pretty hellbent that Martin will be at the Blues, either through the PSD or the ND....or through other strategies they are considering that he couldn't discuss. So basically exploring all avenues.

He stated pretty emphatically that Martin won't be returning to GC....oh, and apparently at the interview with Carlton, cheekily asked them if Eddie was coming to the club :)

It's probably already been covered, but heard the Pittonet interview on SEN on the way to the gym....sounds like an absolute gem!! I think he's potentially a great pick up for the club.

Very very happy with the Pittonet pick up :)

They were aware of this when it happened, they don't give a s**t
People are really missing this point, they want to laugh at them and say they cocked up, but they didn't. They're not one bit unhappy with this result, they sent the message they wanted to send.

You don't reach for a small forward, or any other type at pick 9 in the draft, you draft best available

Id absolutely trade it for picks next year, where in a compromised draft, picks ( points ) are going to be like gold to teams looking to secure academy players, father/ sons etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL - the media are more upbeat on the Blues than some of our own supporters - go figure :drunk:
i really upbeat on them. We didn't lose anything major and yet we will gain Betts and Martin and will get another young talent in at 9. Heck we might try and trade up on draft night

Was highly amused watching the last hour countdown last night, the smell of desperation to get a trade done from some posters was hilarious. :D

Speaking of watching, I tuned into ch.7 for their show at 7pm - I presume they didn't have the rights to the live feed of the trade room? (probably foxtel?) Andy Maher and Goddard kept referencing they were watching that feed and how funny it was but they never cut to it (except a 'highlights' package of a deal done 5 mins ago). Was stupid TV really.

Good news Martin is still committed.

Don't think Melbourne or their fans will care too much. His availability barely raised an eyebrow over on the Dees board.

I had a look at their board too. It was so strange.

We post in one hour what they do in a day.

We’d be going bonkers if a player like Martin potentially fell into our laps for free out of nowhere. Some solid discussion over there nonetheless. Better than most team boards.

That's the case for minor league players not drafted by MLB clubs (minor league free agents) - MLB clubs can and do trade players playing in their minor league teams under their control all the time - without consent. Most of them make hardly any money until/if they make the MLB level

Yes, but that's why I referred to "not yet".

AFL is not MLB.

AFL in baseball terms is closer to AAa ball if anything. The league has a ways to go to grow. Salaries will continue to increase, and just like how free agency was forced in, waivers and transfers will be forced in eventually.

Speaking of watching, I tuned into ch.7 for their show at 7pm - I presume they didn't have the rights to the live feed of the trade room? (probably foxtel?) Andy Maher and Goddard kept referencing they were watching that feed and how funny it was but they never cut to it (except a 'highlights' package of a deal done 5 mins ago). Was stupid TV really.

Live feed was a waste of time.

Literally just a room with 3 people sitting at a table, waiting to sign off on deals presented by club list managers. 2-3 people walk into the room with sheets of paper, sit down, they spend 2-3 mins checking off details and then shake hands and leave. No audio, nothing remotely interesting about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back