Which players will fill the wing roles in 2020?

Which players (apart from Gaff) should spend the most time on the wing this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

When Petruccelle burst onto the scene it looked like he couls be the modern day Peter Matera.
Has the pace but not the foot skills or awareness of the master.
Could he evolve into that type of wingman?

Firmly believe it should be A rotation of Sheed and Redden. Reds for when we are looking to be more defensive on the wings and more attacking in the clearances / defensive half, sheed when in the forward half.

It's all about stoppage structures however imo. If we make the assumption that Kelly is coming in to be a primary clearance and stoppage player alongside Yeo and Shuey then Gaff has the outside coverage role covered and is best in league at it. His gut running is only matched by whitfield, he is a much more balanced player than he used to be and can cover space and be an outlet much more effectively than Masto imo.

This really only leaves Redden and Sheed as the candidates. The other way it plays out is Redden spends more time directly in the centre with Yeo and Shuey and Kelly and Sheed continue in stoppage situations (outside centre clearances) as the first receivers / outside ball clearance players (it's where Sheed in particular shines and gets more of his clearances and I see Kelly as being better with that touch more space).

Shuey is offensive in the middle in the above scenario, Yeo the beast / balanced mid, Redden the defensive player. With Nic in there we are very likely the most dominant centre square outfit in the league. The other option particularly against sides that have a big dominant burst player type is Yeo goes head to head with them. He already gets plenty of the ball but i feel he does his best work when set the challenge of destroying guys like Cripps, Fyfe, Martin, Dangerfield. The only mid i've seen outmuscle him is Cunnington. In these scenarios If Yeo is going head to head against teams like Richmond, Geelong, Collingwood, Freo, Carlton etc Then i would look at playing 2 other balanced / offensive mids in the centre with him. ie Shuey, Kelly, Sheed.

If we are looking at using Nic as a burst ruck and stoppage player then it becomes a lot more like NFL where we play an offensive structure like above with Nic on the field and a more defensive one when he's not. Hickey in the ruck alongside Redden, Yeo, Nelson. Allows for secondary stoppages where we can get our more offensive weapons slightly outside and or running from the wings / half forward.

Firmly believe it should be A rotation of Sheed and Redden. Reds for when we are looking to be more defensive on the wings and more attacking in the clearances / defensive half, sheed when in the forward half.

It's all about stoppage structures however imo. If we make the assumption that Kelly is coming in to be a primary clearance and stoppage player alongside Yeo and Shuey then Gaff has the outside coverage role covered and is best in league at it. His gut running is only matched by whitfield, he is a much more balanced player than he used to be and can cover space and be an outlet much more effectively than Masto imo.

This really only leaves Redden and Sheed as the candidates. The other way it plays out is Redden spends more time directly in the centre with Yeo and Shuey and Kelly and Sheed continue in stoppage situations (outside centre clearances) as the first receivers / outside ball clearance players (it's where Sheed in particular shines and gets more of his clearances and I see Kelly as being better with that touch more space).

Shuey is offensive in the middle in the above scenario, Yeo the beast / balanced mid, Redden the defensive player. With Nic in there we are very likely the most dominant centre square outfit in the league. The other option particularly against sides that have a big dominant burst player type is Yeo goes head to head with them. He already gets plenty of the ball but i feel he does his best work when set the challenge of destroying guys like Cripps, Fyfe, Martin, Dangerfield. The only mid i've seen outmuscle him is Cunnington. In these scenarios If Yeo is going head to head against teams like Richmond, Geelong, Collingwood, Freo, Carlton etc Then i would look at playing 2 other balanced / offensive mids in the centre with him. ie Shuey, Kelly, Sheed.

If we are looking at using Nic as a burst ruck and stoppage player then it becomes a lot more like NFL where we play an offensive structure like above with Nic on the field and a more defensive one when he's not. Hickey in the ruck alongside Redden, Yeo, Nelson. Allows for secondary stoppages where we can get our more offensive weapons slightly outside and or running from the wings / half forward.
I think with the addition of kelly we will be a lot more aggressive even with a beaten hickey rucking.

its not like we havnt had experience the last few years and now weve added kelly whos also experienced at roving to a beaten ruck.

kelly is going to be such a gamechanger...

Cole will hold down one wing, has the speed, swervability and toughness to do the job.
People are sleeping on him but he looked good when he was up the ground at times in his first few games.

I think with the addition of kelly we will be a lot more aggressive even with a beaten hickey rucking.

its not like we havnt had experience the last few years and now weve added kelly whos also experienced at roving to a beaten ruck.

kelly is going to be such a gamechanger...
Thanks Geelong for eventually granting his wish. Seems to happen quicker the other way around

Thanks Geelong for eventually granting his wish. Seems to happen quicker the other way around
Mate they are on the slide this year.

and they would know it - and also know they may well have helped us win a flag.

they still have danger - but hes an individual - kellys a team player - and its teams that win gf’s

I'd be worried taking redden out of the centre and putting him on a wing IMO - seems like the type of player that thrives on responsibility in the inside midfield system. Shuey, Yeo and I think Kelly are far better at impacting games purely by creating their own opportunities and not relying on teammates/being a vitally positioned cog in the machine. He looked lost when he first came to us and really only settled in 2018 when he took Priddis' role.

The setup I'd be hoping for is Gaff playing a lot more exclusively outside, Sheed playing a bit more wing than he has been where he's less required to tackle and where his cool head in space can shine, Kelly doing a 50/50 split, Brander, Venables or Petch taking up a bit of slack on the wing and developing there whilst also playing a bit forward, Yeo going head to head with the beasts and Redden doing his thing and occasionally tagging when we'd rather let Yeo loose. This probably forces out Hutchings which makes us more offensively potent, but realistically there'll be injuries and he'll get a fair few games which I'm happy with.

Mate they are on the slide this year.

and they would know it - and also know they may well have helped us win a flag.

they still have danger - but hes an individual - kellys a team player - and its teams that win gf’s
People have been saying that for years. I mean, eventually they'll slide, but I wouldn't be so sure it'll be this year.

When Petruccelle burst onto the scene it looked like he couls be the modern day Peter Matera.

Maybe, but he's got a lot to work on with his skills and decision making.

Play him as a high half forward, and if he shows improvement with the above give him bursts on the wing.

Currently he's not polished enough for a midfield role IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People have been saying that for years. I mean, eventually they'll slide, but I wouldn't be so sure it'll be this year.
Ive never subscribed to it -but i reckon 5-8 at best this year.
Between danger and kp they will jag a few they shouldnt.

gabletts almost gawn wouldnt be surprised if he has a midseason retirement.

jellwood is on the slide - and their bottom 8 players arent there.

add that to losing kelly and i think its real

A different sportscar model to Matera I reckon..Roo had speed=long rangy strides, swervability and an unbelievable raking kick on the run, from the wing (or anywhere). Roo was also steeped in footy from early days=footy brain. Petch not so much, he has a different kind of speed and body type, but here's hoping he might develop into something equally exciting in his own way...fast track skills development ?

Maybe, but he's got a lot to work on with his skills and decision making.

Play him as a high half forward, and if he shows improvement with the above give him bursts on the wing.

Currently he's not polished enough for a midfield role IMO

I agree with this. With Petchs speed and ability to run and carry it means he can be a real threat even if he does fluff the finish. He can get the ball to dangerous spots and if it doesn't come off hopefully can't hurt us as much.

I'm wondering if playing a taller wingman to act as an outlet for the kick-in may save some of JK and Darling's tanks as they do a hell of a lot of running to provide a lead and compete.
At times even in the Grand Final you'd see JK hold the ball after a mark on the flank, as Darling who provided the kick had to sprint past to get back to position.
Having the luxury of Allen or Brander or Waterman drop back if they lead up could create headaches.
Used to hope Staker would develop into that role, but luckily we were blessed with Embley.
Agree entirely - which is why I pitched the idea of Yeo rotating on the wing a few weeks back. Yeo’s strengths - overhead marking and speed - aren’t utilised enough when he’s on-ball.

If Brander can play the role, which is a gigantic if, that’ll help keep JK close to goal where he’s most dangerous

There is probably no one stand out so liking that Suma Magic has started the thread.

Question is what are we looking for?

My assumption is that with Shuey/Kelly/Yeo as the inside trio, Gaff goes back to his preferred position on one wing. Gaff has been more the forward running wing and Masten used to play more the defensive wing (Mr Space Guarder). So what do we want for balance?

If it is speed for outside run, then Jack Petruccelli is the obvious choice followed by Watson. They both have the pace and would need to check on whether their tank is up to it.

If you want class, then Brander is my obvious choice. It may take a couple of seasons for him to fill the role but he has the tank and best all round skills for the job. I also do not want him stuck at the WAFL level. Second to Brader would be Xavier O’Neill but I think he needs more time in the WAFL to fully get up to the right level. Venables is possibly more gifted skill wise but I am thinking he is probably only a long shot being capable of coming back from his concussion.

If we want plug in ready, the Redden is the man. Hutch can also do the role but only if we need a shut down on a Sidebottom or alike. I expect Redden to be the fourth inside mid starting on the bench.

If we want a defensive winger (Mainwaring style), then Duggan would be worth a stint. Similar thoughts could see Nelson or Cole as contenders.

I put Cameron, Cripps and Ryan as needed as forwards and may have a burst as an outside mid but majority inside 50 time for me.

Nice write up on Ainsworth but I have only one question. Has he fixed his ball drop yet? His was used for large spots as an outside mid in Beagles 2019 and was far from impressive.

Back