NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Well it looks like any hope of local footy starting has been ended with the state of emergency extended until June 22nd.
I'm hoping the EFNL call an end to this year and restart next year.

Well it looks like any hope of local footy starting has been ended with the state of emergency extended until June 22nd.
I'm hoping the EFNL call an end to this year and restart next year.
Thought they were talking about end of July/ start of aug for a start date? Why would the state of emergency for another 3 weeks mean it’s the end for local
Footy?

Clubs wouldn’t be Returning to training if there was close to no chance of games resuming. Looks more likely at the moment.

Thought they were talking about end of July/ start of aug for a start date? Why would the state of emergency for another 3 weeks mean it’s the end for local
Footy?

No
Footy?

No reply from Cliff which surprises me,perhaps you better message me and I will give you all the updates.Do not write the season off just yet but now think that a decision has to be made on whether we call it off or not at the latest by the middle/late June.That being EDFL/other metro leagues, not sure about country football as I think they need the community involvement even more then the metro people right now in difficult times for all of us.

Last edited:
No

No reply from Cliff which surprises me,perhaps you better message me and I will give you all the updates.Do not write the season off just yet but now think that a decision has to be made on whether we call it off or not at the latest by the middle/late June.That being EFNL/other metro leagues, not sure about country football as I think they need the community involvement even more then the metro people right now in difficult times for all of us.
We still expecting a June 5th decision? Or will that be pushed back now?

Not sure about a June 5 decision and why the question be pushed back now and if true why.Read Cliff's post.
As the state of emergency has been extended another 3 weeks they were due to make a decision on June 5th so thought they may now wait till after June 22nd for a decision?

Footy?
Sorry, I've been out for the day.
What it means is the Government feels that they haven't got on top of the situation. With the extension of the state of emergency it means that restrictions can be re-enacted at any time. It doesn't give the impression that they are moving forward with the resumption of a more normal way of life. The Government is going to play safety first all they way, making sure any progress will be slow. This uncertainty isn't going to help in influencing the League to vote to start the season, particularly as the vast majority of EFNL Clubs want to play next year, not this one. The EFNL needs to step up and make a decision based on what the clubs want.

Last edited:
As the state of emergency has been extended another 3 weeks they were due to make a decision on June 5th so thought they may now wait till after June 22nd for a decision?

My mail is decision will be made by the Queens Birthday week end and most clubs even though from tomorrow can train in 2 groups of 10 on a oval with no use of rooms, toilets (not sure about lights) and a covid officer has to be there.Pretty clear which way to go for me but the sooner this uncertainty goes on the better we make a call ASAP the better.PS That is EDNFL,not sure about the Shepparton Swans.

State of Emergency is just a government power grab, it is very possible that we will be playing football with the state of emergency still in place. It simply allows them to fine people freely and the government to make any decisions it likes without having to go back to work.

My mail is decision will be made by the Queens Birthday week end and most clubs even though from tomorrow can train in 2 groups of 10 on a oval with no use of rooms, toilets (not sure about lights) and a covid officer has to be there.Pretty clear which way to go for me but the sooner this uncertainty goes on the better we make a call ASAP the better.PS That is EDNFL,not sure about the Shepparton Swans.

Don't get the reference to EDFNL, who are they again?
Have the Essendon District Football League started a Netball Comp like the EFL did?
Shepparton Swans reference can only mean you still think you're on the canned fruit forum.;)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs and AFL VIC have already stated that if a season is to get up and running they would need to give clubs 4-6 weeks for them to prepare financially more then anything. That’s the reason they can’t keep pushing the decision back. If they push the decision back til the 22nd, then you are looking at maybe an August start, which may be too late!

August 1st is about the latest the season could start. 9 weeks plus 3 weeks finals with GFs on Oct 17. You could maaaaaybe push out a week beyond that but that’s about it. Or you could abandon 2 weeks of finals and just have 1v2 play off in a GF after the H&A season.

There’s actually a fair bit of time still but it depends what you’re willing to accept as a “season” or whether you’re happier to just can it.

Crowds would have to be allowed and probably will be. But I’d say any indoor activities (bars, social clubs etc) will be a no-go.

There’s also the question of whether you have players in rooms. Its not happening now with clubs who’ve started training. Get out of the car, train, back in the car and go. Could see similar with games if they happen - boots on, outdoor warmup and coaches addresses before the game and at half time.

August 1st is about the latest the season could start. 9 weeks plus 3 weeks finals with GFs on Oct 17. You could maaaaaybe push out a week beyond that but that’s about it. Or you could abandon 2 weeks of finals and just have 1v2 play off in a GF after the H&A season.

There’s actually a fair bit of time still but it depends what you’re willing to accept as a “season” or whether you’re happier to just can it.

Crowds would have to be allowed and probably will be. But I’d say any indoor activities (bars, social clubs etc) will be a no-go.

There’s also the question of whether you have players in rooms. Its not happening now with clubs who’ve started training. Get out of the car, train, back in the car and go. Could see similar with games if they happen - boots on, outdoor warmup and coaches addresses before the game and at half time.

In regards to your last two paragraphs - I think you may as well just cancel the season if those two were to occur.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back