NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like Rupert has decided to scrap Leader Newspapers. There won't even be a digital version. No more reports on EFNL Results.
All local footy news will now be behind a paywall.

Has been for a year and a half
No, as a subscriber to the digital Whitehorse Leader I was able to read the sports section of the Whitehorse Leader and other Leader newspapers.
But not any more all Leader newspapers have ceased to exist.

No, as a subscriber to the digital Whitehorse Leader I was able to read the sports section of the Whitehorse Leader and other Leader newspapers.
But not any more all Leader newspapers have ceased to exist.

I thought as a subscriber you would still be able to read their articles on line.The paper will still exist but the only way you can read it will be on line.

Looks like Rupert has decided to scrap Leader Newspapers. There won't even be a digital version. No more reports on EFNL Results.
All local footy news will now be behind a paywall.
What is on offer is pretty average and with the closures comes further cuts and what will be on offer after the cuts will be even less than average. You don't miss what you don't have. I know how to bypass the paywall thanks to Firefox and add ins that are available. I will add, I don't bother much as most of the articles are average. You get more info from Twitter.

Last edited:
From behind the Paywall in today's HS.

EFL legend Peter ’Frosty’ Baird jailed after double life as serial swindler exposed
Paul Shapiro, Berwick Leader
May 29, 2020 6:00am

Subscriber only
An Eastern Football League legend who lived a double-life as a cheque-bouncing serial swindler has been jailed.
Peter ‘Frosty’ Baird, 47, was sentenced in the County Court on May 26 to a minimum 30-months’ jail after pleading guilty to 18 fraud-related charges.
Baird, from Berwick, ran a Catch Me if You Can-style bogus cheque racket which left a trail of victims, including the mother of his two children.
The fraudster threw around valueless cheques “like they were going out of style” to purchase cars, pay bills and rent and even lay down a deposit for a house.
Unwitting players webbed into Baird’s lengthy deceit between 2013 and 2014 included the EFL, and his dad, the court heard.

Baird repaid the EFL $692 with a bogus cheque after he lost a camera while he worked for the league’s media team.

In February 2014, Baird bounced three cheques to cover the $94,000 deposit on a $960,000 Lysterfield South property.

Baird ripped off the mother of his two children.
Baird, a former Rowville Football Club president, left his former partner with a $58,000 debt after he ducked on an agreement to cover bills in lieu of child support.

Instead, Baird “intercepted” the woman’s mail to make it appear he had paid the bills, the court was told.

She only found out not everything was right when contacted by debt collectors.

Baird attempted to clear the debt with a series of valueless $67,000 cheques.

The court heard Baird also paid another former partner’s interstate relocation costs – with a bogus cheque.

The fraudster stepped it up a notch when he opened 10 accounts – two in his dad’s name – with Bankwest Online between July and December, 2014.

Baird then ripped off $82,000 by depositing cheques into these accounts in person then immediately withdrawing cash before the cheques could bounce.

The court was told Baird was interviewed by police in November 2015, then again in November 2017 when he admitted his crimes.

The matter was delayed after Baird pleaded not guilty on the day of a 2018 plea hearing where it was expected he would plead guilty.

He committed subsequent deceptions in 2019 while on bail for this offending, the court heard.

The defence submitted Baird suffered low-self esteem by creating an “illusion of being a successful or wealthy man”.

Judge Michael Tinney said Baird committed “brazen and calculated offending”.

“Who doesn’t like a shiny new car and no doubt part of your armoury when confronted would be to say that you made an honest error with the cheque account balance,” Judge Tinney said.

“There is that aspect of big-noting yourself, and that you were swanning around ‘buying’ an expensive property.”

Judge Tinney said Baird’s offending against the mother of his children was “pretty cruel”, and he pleaded guilty because he had “simply ran out of options”.

“I do not know why you are as dishonest as you are but you just are,” Judge Tinney said.

“You were prepared to do or say pretty much anything … to dishonestly obtain an advantage.”

Baird, who played senior football with Knox and Koo Wee Rup, and held an assistant coaching role at Surrey Park while offending, was jailed for a maximum three years and nine months.

The court heard Baird was sacked from his Port Phillip Prison officer job in the 2000s after he was convicted and placed on a community correction order.

Last edited:
Nupe.

How is it that the Leader Local appears to know the results of the recent junior vote & publish an article but we don’t know anything?
It’s annoying that stakeholders - committee, coaches, parents, kids, etc are not sure but the HS who want our $$$ via subscriptions seem to have special rights. Shouldn’t the EFL be the first to publish such information?
Who is passing on such information?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nupe.

How is it that the Leader Local appears to know the results of the recent junior vote & publish an article but we don’t know anything?
It’s annoying that stakeholders - committee, coaches, parents, kids, etc are not sure but the HS who want our $$$ via subscriptions seem to have special rights. Shouldn’t the EFL be the first to publish such information?
Who is passing on such information?

Well I know and our parents have been told,perhaps you should get back in the engine room of your club again.lol.It's on Face Book as well,get with it old timer.

Last edited:
Yes I have noticed him up in the canned fruit forum.
Makes you wonder if it will now be the EFNL and no longer EFL in his posts.

All under control up in the GVFL I think at the moment,now on the Shepparton Swans band wagon and looking forward to country life perhaps,back to the coal face after 2 months in isolation.My first haircut today after 2 months, and a name change and now feel 20 years younger especially if we can get our juniors on the park Aug/Sept in EDFNL this year.

Last edited:
All under control up in the GVFL I think at the moment,back to the coal face after 2 months in isolation.My first haircut today after 2 months, and a name change and now feel 20 years younger especially if we can get our juniors on the park Aug/Sept in EDFNL this year.
20 years, sounds ominous. Watch out Mrs G.

Meanwhile in WA they have been approved for full training of contact sports and eased gathering restrictions to 100 with exemptions of 300 if they can be segregated. Your move Dan!

We had a meeting last night & no one knew the vote.I know how our club voted but don’t know the tally of votes.

FB where? & don’t say Leader Local, that’s the point I am making. Surely it should be on EFL FB before anywhere else
I wonder if we will find out about the senior competition in the same manner.

All under control up in the GVFL I think at the moment,now on the Shepparton Swans band wagon and looking forward to country life perhaps,back to the coal face after 2 months in isolation.My first haircut today after 2 months, and a name change and now feel 20 years younger especially if we can get our juniors on the park Aug/Sept in EDFNL this year.
Another name change for you but you are still having trouble with the League's name changes. Been 22 years since they were called Eastern District Football League. I guess if you feel 20 years younger that may account for the EDFL part, but Netball has only been in for 2 years.

Omeo and district league done for 2020 and East Gippsland FNL in discussions. The dominos are falling. My mail from contacted across the league want the season to Ben abandoned - volunteers are problematic and player interest has reduced significantly. Let's return in 2021 I say.

From behind the Paywall in today's HS.

EFL legend Peter ’Frosty’ Baird jailed after double life as serial swindler exposed
Paul Shapiro, Berwick Leader
May 29, 2020 6:00am

Subscriber only
An Eastern Football League legend who lived a double-life as a cheque-bouncing serial swindler has been jailed.
Peter ‘Frosty’ Baird, 47, was sentenced in the County Court on May 26 to a minimum 30-months’ jail after pleading guilty to 18 fraud-related charges.
Baird, from Berwick, ran a Catch Me if You Can-style bogus cheque racket which left a trail of victims, including the mother of his two children.
The fraudster threw around valueless cheques “like they were going out of style” to purchase cars, pay bills and rent and even lay down a deposit for a house.
Unwitting players webbed into Baird’s lengthy deceit between 2013 and 2014 included the EFL, and his dad, the court heard.

Baird repaid the EFL $692 with a bogus cheque after he lost a camera while he worked for the league’s media team.

In February 2014, Baird bounced three cheques to cover the $94,000 deposit on a $960,000 Lysterfield South property.

Baird, a former Rowville Football Club president, left his former partner with a $58,000 debt after he ducked on an agreement to cover bills in lieu of child support.

Instead, Baird “intercepted” the woman’s mail to make it appear he had paid the bills, the court was told.

She only found out not everything was right when contacted by debt collectors.

Baird attempted to clear the debt with a series of valueless $67,000 cheques.

The court heard Baird also paid another former partner’s interstate relocation costs – with a bogus cheque.

The fraudster stepped it up a notch when he opened 10 accounts – two in his dad’s name – with Bankwest Online between July and December, 2014.

Baird then ripped off $82,000 by depositing cheques into these accounts in person then immediately withdrawing cash before the cheques could bounce.

The court was told Baird was interviewed by police in November 2015, then again in November 2017 when he admitted his crimes.

The matter was delayed after Baird pleaded not guilty on the day of a 2018 plea hearing where it was expected he would plead guilty.

He committed subsequent deceptions in 2019 while on bail for this offending, the court heard.

The defence submitted Baird suffered low-self esteem by creating an “illusion of being a successful or wealthy man”.

Judge Michael Tinney said Baird committed “brazen and calculated offending”.

“Who doesn’t like a shiny new car and no doubt part of your armoury when confronted would be to say that you made an honest error with the cheque account balance,” Judge Tinney said.

“There is that aspect of big-noting yourself, and that you were swanning around ‘buying’ an expensive property.”

Judge Tinney said Baird’s offending against the mother of his children was “pretty cruel”, and he pleaded guilty because he had “simply ran out of options”.

“I do not know why you are as dishonest as you are but you just are,” Judge Tinney said.

“You were prepared to do or say pretty much anything … to dishonestly obtain an advantage.”

Baird, who played senior football with Knox and Koo Wee Rup, and held an assistant coaching role at Surrey Park while offending, was jailed for a maximum three years and nine months.

The court heard Baird was sacked from his Port Phillip Prison officer job in the 2000s after he was convicted and placed on a community correction order.

This matter had been floating around for some time - am surprised it took this long for the media to get on to it. As well as the matters listed with the cheques, I am told on good authority an EFL club was also subjected to his odessey of using valueless cheques. Lowlife!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back