Preview Round 4, 2020 Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For people lucky enough to have tickets but unsure where your section is located.
Below link gives you a view from that section. You can't select a seat number.
The view gives you an indication of what to expect before arriving on Sunday.
Just enter your section number then click "Go"
Small window pops up.
Click the "full screen" icon
Use the cursor to maneuver up/down/left/right

Ballenden in for McStay.
I’d personally go Ballenden in for Smith. Two rucks and one that has no impact around the ground means we’re effectively playing with 21. I just can’t for the life of me work out why Smith is being selected over say a Ballenden who can play second string ruck but more importantly can actually play footy to a reasonable standard.

I’d personally go Ballenden in for Smith. Two rucks and one that has no impact around the ground means we’re effectively playing with 21. I just can’t for the life of me work out why Smith is being selected over say a Ballenden who can play second string ruck but more importantly can actually play footy to a reasonable standard.
I've never worked it out. But he's got the physique and the leap ,all he needs are the skills , the smarts and the mongrel.

Oscar can ruck around 70% of the game and the brains trust believe we need a true ruckman the rest of the time. Despite what some people think if we let Eagles loose for 30% of the game you'd get a red hot go at the minimum. But he's not qualified and ain't gunna happen.

I really feel for the guys who are at risk with reduced lists and don't get the chance to showcase themselves this year. Sadly we're going to lose some decent players who just didn't get the opportunity . Which some of them would've had in a less successful team , particularly those teams who don't mind a few changes every now and then.

How does Ballenden jump over Skinner after Skinner has been an emergency two weeks in a row?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Alternative theory: no change planned in that position, but they want to make sure Skinner gets a run around after a couple weeks as an emergency.

At a guess would suggest we felt like we probably needed two ruckman going up against Nic Nat with Stef out to minimise his impact.

Smith, while not good around the ground. At least gave us the flexibility to change and try different things in the ruck.

I think Fages is rusted on to the two genuine rucks idea and he might think Smith is worth persisting with. Picked him to battle Nic Nat - Adelaide will be easier.

Would like to see Ballenden in too. Can play forward and has an elite kick

Yeah I have wondered whether the system is flawed where you want three tickets for two different memberships, ie two memberships on one account and one on the other...and whether it just invalidates the entry altogether.

I don't know. I'll try to call the club tomorrow to enquire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It certainly seems that way.
That’s why I think Ballenden comes in for McStay. If he was prepared to replace Martin with Smith he will most likely keep him in while Martin is out. Fagan has to be thinking about the short to medium term and Stef at 33 years (34 in November) may well be in his last season, especially if he starts getting injured. Smith needs to learn his craft in the ‘ones’ if he is going to improve. He spent virtually all of last year in the undefeated NEAFL team and I don’t know there’s much point keeping him at that level. The excellent form of Oscar McInerney has probably accelerated the transition from Martin to Smith.

I think its harsh to rule Archie a dud because he got monstered by Nic Nat. I would take a fully fit, four quarter playing Nic Nat over a fully fit Grundy, Gawn or Goldstein. Archie held his own when going against their second ruck Oscar Allen. Honestly I dont know why West Coast didnt play Hickey. They only ever managed to get some ascendancy when Nic Nat was dropping delightful taps to Yeo or smashing to Gaff. Just goes to show you the importance of full time rucks. Im happy to have Oscar well rested so he can have maximum impact both as a forward and ruck. I think the best test for Archie would be to see how he performs against ROB/Lynch from Adelaide. ROB is touted as a breakout ruck from last year and Lynch is a decent upper mid tier honest ruck. Archie vs Tex would also be interesting to see. Would love to get a few games into Archie to really evaluate if he is ready to take over from Stef in 1-2 years. Would also really love to make sure Stef completely heals from his PCL and is ready to be our new Mr September (October or December) and really lift our midfield come finals.
I'm not a fan of Archie and I'm not basing it on 1 game v Nic Nat, Archie has had 7 years and 12 games on our list to show what he has got, also from my viewing of his NEAFL play he is not capable of being an AFL level ruckman and he shows zero resting forward to be considered as a 2nd/relieving ruckman. I'll gladly eat humble pie if I'm proven wrong by on field performance over the rest of this season.

Ballenden in for McStay.
I kinda thinks they are different players. Skinner played the McStay role in reserves last year. He is big, tackles like a maniac and if hitting packs is the role then he crashes without fear. Ballenden is highly skilled, a beautiful kick in play and has good disposal in open play and quite athletic but just seems to lack the aggression to really crash in. I could see Ballenden playing as 3rd tall forward and pinch hitting in the ruck although he gets pushed around a bit by other big boddied rucks and wrestling he is a bit of a rag doll. If he can get a bit loose and work right up to the wings against a lazy defence he will be valuable with his size.

no NEAFL does not help us the supporters.. I gather the coaches watching the scratch matches.
If lists do get cut.. Those on long term contracts probably get more matches.
Will not be so much trading around as every list will be smaller.
So not really fair for a lot of the guys on the last year of a contract.

Where we all like Skinner, Bundy, Wooler, Ballenden, Witho, Matho, Answerth etc to get a run.
We have no idea how they tracking
If you want to see how they are tracking, ask the Lions Insider to have the club release the video of each reserves praccy game they cover each week.

If you want to see how they are tracking, ask the Lions Insider to have the club release the video of each reserves praccy game they cover each week.
Lions Insider hasn't posted on our board since late October 2019, I think they abandoned us after some robust feedback on a couple of issues from a few posters.

Lions Insider hasn't posted on our board since late October 2019, I think they abandoned us after some robust feedback on a couple of issues from a few posters.

I suspect there are other reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back