Peter Wright vs Brodie Grundy

Who would you take

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see Grundy really improving his directional ruck taps this season. It’s one of the only faults I have with him. That and the defence efforts from time to time.

Lot of the Top Players Defensive Side of the Game can not be where they should be

I don't see much problem with Collingwood coughing up a 7 year contract. I think preferably from their perspective they would have liked 5 years, but they only really lose if he misses significant games through a major or series of major injuries.

Grundy ticks so many boxes from a clubs perspective;

Marketability: 4.5/5. Fans of all ages relate to him, particularly young members. He will be one of if not the face of membership, sponsors etc for years to come and always gets his head on the news or in the paper. Don't underestimate how much Eddie and co. and clubs generally place on this. His ROI is massive, sells plenty of merch. Ticks everywhere.

Risk: 5/5. Grundy is not a trouble maker and would seem an incredibly safe bet in terms of ever bringing negative attention to the club and their stakeholders. Again, a facet that can be underestimated when the public looks at contracts. Very clean cut yet 'cool' image. Ticks galore.

Performance: 5/5. Couldn't ask much more from him, a gun. Looks set to be a multiple AA at this point and is clearly in the top 2 rucks now and moving forward. Big injuries permitting, tick.

Durability. 4.5/5. Rucks can be fickle from this point of view, but at this stage looks to be very durable and a committed professional. They have all the medical ins and outs so I'm sure they looked into this heavily.

They locked in their man who at some stage openly admitted, that returning to his native SA was at least attractive for him.
I'm not a fan of >5 year deals as well, but Grundy would be pretty safe if you had to do it. Ruckmen generally keep improving later than mids who hit their best form earlier, and they develop more slowly.

Their ceilings aren't as high but their floors aren't as low either. I think more so than other positions, rucks are a safer bet when projecting because a lot of their role doesn't change over time. Ruckwork is ruckwork. At the very worst they've got a competitive ruckman who's elite around the stoppages. Always be a place for that type of player.

Couple of clubs in Vic talking with Peter Wright. Blues one of them
Really? Would have thought Key Forward would be the last spot you need cover for

Couple of clubs in Vic talking with Peter Wright. Blues one of them
Why the heck would the Blues need Wright? You guys should be set for tall forwards with McKay, Curnow and McGovern.

How many in the side at the moment and Casboult is 31.
Do you think that Wright is likely to go to a club where there’s every chance he’ll be playing in the twos again?

How many in the side at the moment and Casboult is 31.
De Koning is more forward than ruck too. Why would he go there over say Essendon where he walks into the 1sts?

No and if he can reach his potential I don't think he will. McGovern is a 3rd forward and Charlie is coming off a bad knee. Smart move IMO especially if cheap
I just don’t think Carlton would be a particularly attractive destination for him given their tall stocks. He’d be much better off going to a club that actually needs a key forward.

I just don’t think Carlton would be a particularly attractive destination for him given their tall stocks. He’d be much better off going to a club that actually needs a key forward.

Your opinion but I certainly don't believe we are well stocked for KPF's. I see McKay maybe Charlie and then Casboult.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TDK is a Ruck that can play forward
I'd disagree wholeheartedly. I've seen plenty of him at VFL level and his best games have been when Phillips or Lobbe were the #1. His ruck craft is pretty average and he doesn't really take that many marks when opposed to the other ruck rather than a key defender.

I'd disagree wholeheartedly. I've seen plenty of him at VFL level and his best games have been when Phillips or Lobbe were the #1. His ruck craft is pretty average and he doesn't really take that many marks when opposed to the other ruck rather than a key defender.

Oh well. Club think he is Ruckman so we will see. See ya

Oh well. Club think he is Ruckman so we will see. See ya
Yeah, that's why 3 of his 4 games he's played as a second ruck and the majority of his reserves games are also as a secondary ruck. It's almost as if he only played as the #1 last game because Kreuzer and Pittonet were injured.

I've most probably seen more and this isn't right.
His ruck craft isn't where it will be, but he's only turned 21. Grundy was sh!t when he was 21, so this tread tells me :)
TDK's pressure and follow-up efforts should take him far.

As for Wright - Not for Carlton.
Tyre kicking is OK but Carlton need another ruck-man not another player who only wants to play forward.

His ruck craft isn't where it will be, but he's only turned 21. Grundy was sh!t when he was 21, so this tread tells me :)

Tyre kicking is OK but Carlton need another ruck-man not another player who only wants to play forward.

Grundy wasn't AA at 21yo but he also wasn't "sh!t"

Grundy wasn't AA at 21yo but he also wasn't "sh!t"

I know he wasn't sh!t. That was my point and young rucks take time...as we keep hearing as though we don't know.

I watched Wright in his TAC year and didn't know what the fuss around him, was about.

EDIT: Just read my post back. What a scramble of the English language. :)

Grundy ruck craft still isn't great. Last year's prelim is a prime example.

Honestly think TDK is a guy that'll struggle as the first banana at senior level.

Grundy ruck craft still isn't great. Last year's prelim is a prime example.
Honestly think TDK is a guy that'll struggle as the first banana at senior level.

That's a different point and as this isn't a TDK thread, we'll leave that discussion for elsewhere.

As for Grundy - We'll take him off your hands.....not so much GC's 2mt Peter.

That's a different point and as this isn't a TDK thread, we'll leave that discussion for elsewhere.

As for Grundy - We'll take him off your hands.....not so much GC's 2mt Peter.
He's at Essendon now?

Back