Review Round 16, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

One goal assist doesn't make up for a game's worth of clumsy play and hospital passes. If you're playing someone who's that bad in general play, they had better be a truly dominant tap ruck. But he isn't, he gets beaten at least half the time for hit outs.

Not every player in the team needs to be an A grader. Especially a third string ruck. He played his role and will keep his spot until Stef is fit

Umpire Rosebury finished off the game by missing the worst HTB for the night. Witts takes the ball out of a throw in, runs 5 meters, gets tackles and doesn’t dispose of it. It is holding the bloody ball as soon as he is tackled you utter utter utter moron. I just don’t get how an Ump at the highest level misses something like that.

That was a really impressive win!!! Two and a half down on the bench but got the nice % booster we needed. Solid effort across the ground with big efforts everywhere. Midfield had great pressure setting up the win, forwards looking sharp and capitalising on some good ball movement and then a solid brickwall intercepting in the backline.

Gave Votes to:
Neale - another huge effort in the middle. Deserving medal winner
Zorko - was maybe quiet later in the game but think that was a step back up from him with his zip back. He set up the win early in the night with pace and a couple of goals
Rayner - was a real breakout game. Should have had 4 goals and is a solid unit with some big bumps and taps to open the game up
Hipwood - Massive game. Really influential and took 10 marks (career high I think) all over the ground. Huge effort leading everywhere and his contested marking is really improving
Payne - massive effort for a second gamer with lot of intercept marks especially in the first. Would have been really nervous with the big shoes to fill but played great. Could be a rising star nominee this week and gives us a real option into the future

Several others could have got votes: McClug was influential, Rich was huge in the backline, Linc was influential with sacrificing himself to give us rotations, Cameron was almost back to his best, etc.

I cant help but harp on about Archie again. He did play a better role in the last with some ok moments but I still dont think its enough. He gave Oscar a rest but thats about it. Oscar was well down on his numbers. We look a lot better with Oscar as the main ruck but Archie cant play anywhere else. Think we have to look at other options or changing the lineup.

Did you watch the game tonight? He actually played his best game for us and played well
watched every second. And you've kind of proved my point ... that was his best game and he was probably our worst player tonight (and I mean that in the context of most of the team playing very well)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyons still massively under rated, having an amazingly consistent season. So strong over the ball, 7 clearances tonight and TEN score involvements.

Rich, best game for the year. Charlie and Neale, back to their dangerous best. Hippy and Robbo have found their mojo again.

Rayner and Bailey great games and still so much upside.

Ah Chee, we've got someone who has just really solid who adds versatility.

McCarthy tough effort, hopefully he comes up.

Coleman and Payne exciting to see where they can go.

A lot to be said for Smith allowing Oscar to rest/play forward a bit more as we aim to get to finals as fresh as possible.

Love the way Answerth shuts down, defends, attacks the footy when it is there and the spots he gets the ball in. If he can increase his efficiency with ball in hand, he will be a weapon.

He’s had one more goal assist tonight than you and me combined. It was the right game for me to give him a run. If the big O also goes down, we will have no choice. So playing him tonite is not a bad idea in my books.
I'll have you know I assisted several goals tonight.

Great to finally have a comfortable win. Had cam, Lachie,zorks, clugga and rich as my best, with hippy, Mitch, lyons and Charlie all unlucky to miss out.

Thought cam was comfortably our best in terms of impact through the first three quarters where the game was won. He's really come on this year, genuine game winner now. Was also great to see clugga, Lachie and zorks all back in form. it makes such difference when theyre all playing to their strengths, its hard to stop.

I actually think the suns are a better side than their ladder position suggests and we managed to make them look ordinary. Maybe all the team Harris media this week put some fire in the belly

The challenge will be to play Payne and Harris together successfully.

I'm not adverse to dropping Birchall, and pushing everyone down a spot (Harris and Payne as KPDs, Gardiner as a medium defender, Lester into Birchall's role).

Umpire Rosebury finished off the game by missing the worst HTB for the night. Witts takes the ball out of a throw in, runs 5 meters, gets tackles and doesn’t dispose of it. It is holding the bloody ball as soon as he is tackled you utter utter utter moron. I just don’t get how an Ump at the highest level misses something like that.

Didn't they change the rule last year so rucks can't get pinged for holding out of a rucking contest? There were a good number of shockers especially when you consider the holding against mcluggage they paid

It is dumbfounding, there is no explanation. Maybe, I don’t know, guess the umpire could say I had my eyes shut? How do miss that?

Back