Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
Mod Notice:-

Continued from here:-

Continued here:

Just like to thank Aphrodite and the other Carlton mods who started the Bluemours NON Discussion Thread and who have kept it free of chat over the past few years.

It helps so much when you just don't have the time to read through this thread, cheers and great job.

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2017 Shiel speculated that if he moved from GWS it would likely be to Carlton (his family’s club). By 2018, we enquired and he was initially very interested. Choco got him to Essendon. He wouldn’t be reflecting on that decision well!

Throughout 2019, Coniglio was very very keen to move to Carlton (also a team he once supported). By crunch time in trade week, the AFL, starry-eyed loyalty, and an ability to have great leverage at the Giants captaincy/staffing input, he stayed at GWS. They are not reflecting on that decision well!

Now in 2020, 3 key midfielders have expressed interest in the Blues (2 Dees. 1 Power), 3 halfback flankers (1 Giant, 1 Bomber, 1 Eagle) and a small Swans forward.

One of each section position would be ideal. Hopefully we are much more succesful this time - indications are that:

More players are seriously seeking us out.
More players are on the move.

If they come to Carlton in 2021 they’ll reflect on their decisions well!

Kennedy the scape goat........This club has NFI - as if he is the only one. If where to delist players for all of that (which is bulldust) then stand in line McGov, etc...

Under normal conditions he'd probably get another year, but no real point carrying a VFL player on 300k pa with the list and salary cap reductions.

Maybe we will look to re-rookie him, but I wont be losing to much sleep over his probable departure. I had high hopes he'd be that second big bodied midfielder to help Cripps, but nothing ever materialised with him.

Tell me Jimmae, apart from Ed, who is our tagger, who in our midfield, including our captain runs both ways and is accountable for opponent?
I'll nominate, Setterfield as closest to the pin currently, anyone else?

Damn, you just made me realise how lazy our midfield is. Big pre season needed in terms of acquiring quality mids and also drilling game structures into their heads.

Tell me Jimmae, apart from Ed, who is our tagger, who in our midfield, including our captain runs both ways and is accountable for opponent?
I'll nominate, Setterfield as closest to the pin currently, anyone else?
I think that might be the point of Philp, but yes the numbers are thin on the ground.

That being said, it's my view that defensive positioning and bodywork at the stoppages is the key role of a midfield tag, and that can be taught to a lot of mids. Ideally I'd like a midfield unit that can each take their turn ghosting and shutting down an opponent when required.

Under normal conditions he'd probably get another year, but no real point carrying a VFL player on 300k pa with the list and salary cap reductions.

Maybe we will look to re-rookie him, but I wont be losing to much sleep over his probable departure. I had high hopes he'd be that second big bodied midfielder to help Cripps, but nothing ever materialised with him.

Disagree LD. When he played recently, he did very well and supported well and we where winning as he played his role. The coaches however didn't return the guy after injury. Poor form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But it's not a 1-for-1 in that scenario, is it? It's Dow and a top 10 pick for a proven player.

As I said earlier, I'd give it some serious thought on the body of work Dow has put together so far. But I'd absolutely be expecting something around Pick 20 coming back.
Dreaming. Worth Dow and our first every day of the week.

In 2017 Shiel speculated that if he moved from GWS it would likely be to Carlton (his family’s club). By 2018, we enquired and he was initially very interested. Partner, teammate and $ issues got him to Essendon. He wouldn’t be reflecting on that decision well!

Throughout 2019, Coniglio was very very keen to move to Carlton (also a team he once supported). By crunch time in trade week, the AFL, starry-eyed loyalty, and an ability to have great leverage at the Giants captaincy/staffing input, he stayed at GWS. They are not reflecting on that decision well!

Now in 2020, 3 key midfielders have expressed interest in the Blues (2 Dees. 1 Power), 3 halfback flankers (1 Giant, 1 Bomber, 1 Eagle) and a small Swans forward.

One of each section position would be ideal. Hopefully we are much more succesful this time - indications are that:

What have we done to make any player regret not choosing us? We've lost a coach and failed to make finals since.

Disagree LD. When he played recently, he did very well and supported well and we where winning as he played his role. The coaches however didn't return the guy after injury. Poor form.

He had a couple of decent games this year, but we've seen players delisted with far more comprehensive form behind them. I'd be happy to back him in, but I think we're being directed to the kinds of hard luck stories that are going to come about due to the impact of cap reductions.

I also think with the development of Setterfield and likely inclusion of Kemp next year he becomes surplus to our needs.

Maybe we're also anticipating at least one of Crouch/Viney/Wines to join too, which would certainly dent any opportunity for him in the coming years.

In 2017 Shiel speculated that if he moved from GWS it would likely be to Carlton (his family’s club). By 2018, we enquired and he was initially very interested. Partner, teammate and $ issues got him to Essendon. He wouldn’t be reflecting on that decision well!

Are you able to share who the Eagles HBF is and the second Dees midfielder? I'm assuming Viney is one but unsure on the second, possibly Brayshaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back