Bluemour Melting Pot XXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't understand that...

Does anybody on here really care how many likes someone has?
Likes are like sugarcubes and carrots. Good to eat and if you get enough, your eyesight improves.
Note of caution for imposter ITL's though: Too many likes on false premises may turn you orange.
No one likes an orange man. To clarify: only fools like an orange man. ;)

Last edited:
You sure that’s right? Below is Knighmare’s assessment of Dow and his predicted position in the draft. So when Dow comes good and you add TDK from that draft too... the naysayers can look where the sun don’t shine.

Edit: Also had O’Brien at 10.

3 Carlton - Paddy Dow
Height, Weight: 185cm, 78kg
Profile: Complete midfielder who thrives on the hard, contested side of the game. Moves well and possesses clean skills.

I'll weigh in with some thoughts here. I rate Dow and very happy we took him.

However, I need to point out that's Knightmare's Phantom Draft. It's not his power rankings where he ranks players based on where he would take them in the draft. That article was basically using intel from clubs to say who was being selected by each club.

Just forget this season ever happened with regards to Dow. I don't believe he was ever right to play this season and should never have been selected to begin with. His injury persisted throughout the entire year and it took away his explosive pace. He physically couldn't do what he was able to do in the past. He should have been sent in for surgery towards the end of the Covid-19 break.

Just wait until next season. He will have his body right for the 20/21 preseason and be primed for a breakout 2021 season.

People knocking our selections from 2017 will end up having egg on their face.

Last edited:
He thought Dow was ok (but preferred Cerra/LDU). He ripped us for LOB and preferred Higgins (he also loved Fogarty but acknowledged we wanted mids). He also ripped TDK because Worpel was available and fit needs and TDK was likely available later in the draft or rookie list. All of which is very, very sound in hindsight
You get 2 replies for the price of 1 ...

KM’s player ratings for the 2017 Draft:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2017-draft-almanac.1161261/

Dow at 4, O’Brien at 21 and TDK not in the Top 50.

In his Phantom Draft (just down the page a bit) he correctly has us picking O’Brien at 10 and he says:

10 Carlton - Lochie O'Brien
Height, Weight: 184cm, 77kg
Profile: Arguably the best kick in the draft and this year's most damaging outside player. Line-breaker who if not for niggles that have limited output, may have been a top five selection.

He has Cerra at 3, A Brayshaw at 8, Fogarty at 5, Balta at 6, Higgins at 9, Stephenson at 11, Constable at 14, Petty at 16, Crossley at 17 and Butts at 20. Without going into everyone, he had Tim Kelly at 30 and Liam Ryan at 31, Ed Richards at 38, Stoddart at 40.

So Fremantle was marked down for taking A Brayshaw at 2 and slightly up for taking Cerra at 5, and presumably for overlooking Butts, etc (yes, as did every other club) with its speculative later picks.

Collingwood is marked down for reaching for J Stephenson at 6, Adelaide marked up for taking Fogarty at 12, etc. Bulldogs for taking Richards at 16 and Sydney for taking Stoddart early. Richmond rates brilliantly as Balta and Higgins land at their picks, either side of 20 from memory.

One of Tim Kelly and Liam Ryan would have been great if he fell to us at Pick 30, SOS was reportedly keen on Kelly.

But on the above, and that KM also rated us down the following year for selecting Walsh ahead of Lukosius, Rankine, and Smith (and I think he checked Max King in his justification), I suggest you not place too much stock in KM’s opinion / rankings. I’ll back SOS and Austin’s judgment over KM. He also had Stocker at 17 and Rozee at 13 for 2018 ...

However, I need to point out that's Knightmare's Phantom Draft. It's not his power rankings where he ranks players based on where he would take them in the draft. That article was basically using intel from clubs to say who was being selected by each club.

Just forget this season ever happened with regards to Dow. I don't believe he was ever right to play this season and should never have been selected to begin with. His injury persisted throughout the entire year and it took away his explosive pace. He physically couldn't do what he was able to do in the past. He should have been sent in for surgery towards the end of the Covid-19 break.

Just wait until next season. He will have his body right for the 20/21 and be primed for a breakout 2021 season.

Couldn't agree more, they shall have an omelette plastered all over their head.

The only two differences from then too today is, fitness/running capability and volume of handball...the latter generally doesn’t hit targets..random..all over the shop..turnover heaven...is it any better to watch...absolutely not...frustrating to watch...absolutely yes...
It certainly is frustrating now but I really couldn’t imagine watching our side give a star full forward 40m of room to lead into time and time again. Watching replay of older games now and the tactics seem just so simplistic that’s it’s every bit as frustrating imo.

Oliver is a pipe dream imo

His management would have leaked to the press by now if he was unhappy at Melbourne
It would be a lead story.

Say we land him, how does that effect Setters, he was just starting to elevate his game.

What about developing guys like Kemp & Dow...where do they play ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm only addressing your point about Oliver having a negative effect on Setters, Dow and Kemp. Whether we do get him is another story.

But this line of thinking absolutely bewilders me. You have a 23yo gun who, let's be conservative, has another 5 years of good footy left...and you're worried about how our 19 and 20 year old draftees will develop? If they're good enough they will force their way into the side. And that's the end of story.

Show me which finals teams, who have a set midfield and are playing finals as we speak are worried about how their recent draftees or developing mids aren't getting enough game time because there's no room for them. Wait...they're not! Because they're playing their best footy right now... with that gun midfield.

You get 2 replies for the price of 1 ...

KM’s player ratings for the 2017 Draft:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2017-draft-almanac.1161261/

Dow at 4, O’Brien at 21 and TDK not in the Top 50.

In his Phantom Draft (just down the page a bit) he correctly has us picking O’Brien at 10 and he says:

10 Carlton - Lochie O'Brien
Height, Weight: 184cm, 77kg
Profile: Arguably the best kick in the draft and this year's most damaging outside player. Line-breaker who if not for niggles that have limited output, may have been a top five selection.

He has Cerra at 3, A Brayshaw at 8, Fogarty at 5, Balta at 6, Higgins at 9, Stephenson at 11, Constable at 14, Petty at 16, Crossley at 17 and Butts at 20. Without going into everyone, he had Tim Kelly at 30 and Liam Ryan at 31, Ed Richards at 38, Stoddart at 40.

So Fremantle was marked down for taking A Brayshaw at 2 and slightly up for taking Cerra at 5, and presumably for overlooking Butts, etc (yes, as did every other club) with its speculative later picks.

Collingwood is marked down for reaching for J Stephenson at 6, Adelaide marked up for taking Fogarty at 12, etc. Bulldogs for taking Richards at 16 and Sydney for taking Stoddart early. Richmond rates brilliantly as Balta and Higgins land at their picks, either side of 20 from memory.

One of Tim Kelly and Liam Ryan would have been great if he fell to us at Pick 30, SOS was reportedly keen on Kelly.

But on the above, and that KM also rated us down the following year for selecting Walsh ahead of Lukosius, Rankine, and Smith (and I think he checked Max King in his justification), I suggest you not place too much stock in KM’s opinion / rankings. I’ll back SOS and Austin’s judgment over KM. He also had Stocker at 17 and Rozee at 13 for 2018 ...

Totally agree. Looking back now it just looks like a pretty random reordering of the final draft order. In some cases he's closer to the mark but mostly well off. SOS and co. picked the right guy in Dow as he has something the other mids in that draft don't with his pace and mobility. SOS would have taken him at #1 if we'd have had that pick and I still don't see any reason to second guess him.

Not to say Cerra isn't already a good player and ahead of Dow right now. There is a lot to play out though.

He was elite a couple of years ago but has dropped.

A change of scenery and a different approach to skill development and he'll shine.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

If there were a stat for hospital handballs that get your teammate hit by an oncoming opponent travelling at warp speed Oliver would be way in front.

Gosh I hope we don't end up with this guy. Talk about a booby prize!

I don’t like it but Melbourne would want McKay for Oliver. Cameron would help us.
I’d prefer Kelly to Oliver and give up both first round picks.
I also worry tdk won’t get enough game time with Harry Charlie Levi and McGovern

There are two names who get the axe before McKay and one of those names isnt Curnow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are two names who get the axe before McKay and one of those names isnt Curnow.

Absolutely agree

My point is if we want Oliver we have to give a lot. Melbourne want KPF

Melbourne won’t take Levi or McGovern

GIANTS would take draft picks for Kelly and keep Caldwell Hately and ohalloran

Ideally McGovern is traded but his vale is at the bottom (hopefully)
To get a gun established mid we will have to cough up

Absolutely agree

My point is if we want Oliver we have to give a lot. Melbourne want KPF

Melbourne won’t take Levi or McGovern

GIANTS would take draft picks for Kelly and keep Caldwell Hately and ohalloran

Ideally McGovern is traded but his vale is at the bottom (hopefully)
To get a gun established mid we will have to cough up

No deal then. McKay is untouchable. In fact our whole spine is untouchable. Would rather wait till next year and go hard at Merrett.

If there were a stat for hospital handballs that get your teammate hit by an oncoming opponent travelling at warp speed Oliver would be way in front.

Gosh I hope we don't end up with this guy. Talk about a booby prize!
When you get the ball as much as Oliver does your bound to have some bad disposals under heat.
He's one of the best distributors by hand in the league.

Maybe you'd prefer to put Polson in the middle instead

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Just wait until next season. He will have his body right for the 20/21 preseason and be primed for a breakout 2021 season.

If Dow has a break out season, I will crack a dozen eggs over my head while smiling the whole time

I’m sure they would want McKay but I am taking 8 years of McKay over 3 years of Cameron every day of the week.

I would prefer Kelly as well but Oliver sounds more realistic.

If he wants out of Melbourne then a deal will get done. Send them west coasts pick (if we do the deal with Geelong) and add LOB or someone similar and see how we go.
LOB and a late first way undervalues Oliver. More like Marchbank and two late firsts.

Likes are like sugarcubes and carrots. Good to eat and if you get enough, your eyesight improves.
Note of caution for imposter ITL's though: Too many likes on false premises may turn you orange.
No one likes an orange man. To clarify: only fools like an orange man. ;)
have you been out for a canter today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back