Toast EF: Collingwood by a point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done Pies - under the circumstances a truly incredible win. Having traveled to Melbourne for the 2018 GF I was impressed with the professionalism of your club and the interactions I had with supporters. The rivalry we have had in recent times, and both being on the losing end of hard fought, heart breaking losses is building respect and IMO, some sort of comradery.

I was at the ground on Saturday night, and mid way through the last quarter, just after WC hit the front I was thinking "how good is this"? Just an incredible experience, and its shame this wasn't a normal year and some of you couldn't have made the trip and had that experience.

Definitely a game where everything seemed to go Collingwood's way, just like it has for us in the past. Pendlebury is just a Rolls Royce, and Mihochek's last quarter....... Feel a bit like West Coast's returning players were a bit underdone (Shuey, Redden, McGovern) but Ryan was just exciting to watch - all over the ground.

On The Couch showed the behind the goals vision from that last passage of play and it showed us really well set up in the back 50 with a spare defender. So even if a free had been played it wouldn't have been a certainty that West Coast could generate a scoring shot.

Yes it was brilliant vision - and shows how disciplined were are, very impressive.

Just re-watching the game (again) - that moment when Maynard plays on and gets tackled by Gaff in Q4, you can hear someone (crowd?) yelling about the ball being touched. I wonder if he heard 'touched ball' and thought he had to play on? Because there was no other reason for him to go so quickly with 2 forwards coming at him.
Doubtful, at the ground he had the next two kicks playing out in front of him if the switch was made quickly. Think he was just too hasty trying to get ball to boot.

Cameron’s marks behint the ball were pivotal. Was more then a few in the second half. Was huge for us.
I loved his game. I still believe he will become an awesome player for the Pies because he is a natural ruckman and will be training with and learning from Grundy every week. His ruck craft will only get better.

This needs to go on the West Coast board with one simple quote. "Thoughts?"
It would be nice but I wouldn’t risk a ban. Bans are discretionary and at times very partisan. It’s never a good idea to post on the board of a team you just beat. I’ve found out the hard way previously
I noted that one WC member commented that he was slightly annoyed that an alleged sex pest was playing and someone who only smoked some pot was not.
I refrained from commenting but my immediate thoughts were:
1) yes there is only allegations of wrongdoing by JDG (and that’s without going into how long ago this occurred, the previous investigation that resulted in no charges etc etc)
2) With Rioli however, it’s not alleged, he was caught with pot in his sample and he had admitted to this;
3) the WC member conveniently overlooked the more serious charge of tampering with the sample which is not alleged because Rioli has also admitted this.
Now I’m not out to bash Rioli, he made a stupid mistake and should’ve just copped a 12 wk ban for pot (I think that’s the mandatory suspension). Now he’s looking at 2-4 yrs.
But it’s pretty rich of the WC supporter to think Rioli is more worthy of playing on Sat night than JDG.

Why wouldn’t he like Hawks more than Pies?
Was a pie Premiership coach, was the best ever player of all time at the Hawks.
I think any player prefers his exploits on the field than off it.
Plus the Pies moved him on against his wishes. Bad blood there.

As Justin Leppitsch once asked Lethal after the 3peat, 'What would you be without us Lethal?' Lethal replied 'I would only be the greatest player of all time.'

Hilarious. Other than the Elliott HTB which didn’t get paid and should have, what on earth do they have to complain about?

How was that Adams free against when not only did he not have the ball, the Eagles player tackled his teammate. GTFO!

I giggled at this exchange on the audio after Mihocek’s mark in the pocket ...

McGovern: “He had his hands on my back”

Umpire: “That hasn’t been a rule for 2 years”

McGovern: “What???”

If I was having a guess I'd almost say each coach picked the opposition players more often than not.

Bucks - Naitanui 5
Simpson - Naitanui 5

Bucks - Adams 4
Simpson - Mihocek 4

Bucks - Ryan 3
Simpson - Cox 3

Bucks - Darling 2
Simpson - Treloar 2

Bucks - Greenwood 1
Simpson - Daicos 1
Maybe Simpson went for Darling because Bucks said that Kennedy beat Roughead but that Moore and Darling had a cracker battle, although I guess Darling kicked a couple not directly caused by Moore. One thing is that Bucks would definitely have gone for Adams and he rated Ryan's game really high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won this game because even our poorer players on the night found a way to contribute. 3 players in particular i want to highlight:

1. Jayden Stephenson - That effort in the last quarter where he came back to spoil was fantastic. I think it was Ah Chee on the boundary who looked in and spotted a player 30 metres out directly in front. Stephenson came out of no where for the spoil and saved a certain goal. That's exactly what a wingmen needs to do...get deep into defence. Huge effort

2. Brodie Grundy - The ragdoll tackle on Darling was huge. It was at that moment when I knew we wouldn't be going away in this game. It was a big effort from a guy clearly labouring to bring down one of the strongest players on the ground. His big clunks in the last quarter were huge too.

3. Josh Thomas - His effort in the last quarter to win the ball on the flank against 2 players, stand up in a tackle and get his hands free and the find Mihocek was what led to one of the greatest finals goals you'll ever see. I'll show that goal to grandchildren, and it doesn't happen without Josh Thomas' effort. Also, Grundy took a huge clunk down the line before that. Two efforts from our quieter players on the night.

We will win a lot of games when you get those efforts. We've had too many passengers this year. Guys like Thomas and Stephenson have been unsighted in games, and haven't found any ways to contribute. However, they each found a way on the weekend. When the margin in only 1 point...those little efforts are the difference between winning and losing

I actually thought Stephenson had a Pretty Good Game and Grundy has a Good 2nd Half.

IF they where our Worsts then all players had at least Descent Games

Maybe Simpson went for Darling because Bucks said that Kennedy beat Roughead but that Moore and Darling had a cracker battle, although I guess Darling kicked a couple not directly caused by Moore. One thing is that Bucks would definitely have gone for Adams and he rated Ryan's game really high.
Moore wasn’t directly matched up on Darling for any of his 3 goals. Well certainly not on goals 2 and 3, as it’s hard to tell with goal 1 as the ball pinged back to him after Crisp caused a shocking turnover.

I’m pretty sure that he was off the ground for the second goal and with the last goal he was further up the ground in another play and that Crisp was picking him up.

They did have a cracking battle though.

Moore wasn’t directly matched up on Darling for any of his 3 goals. Well certainly not on goals 2 and 3, as it’s hard to tell with goal 1 as the ball pinged back to him after Crisp caused a shocking turnover.

I’m pretty sure that he was off the ground for the second goal and with the last goal he was further up the ground in another play and that Crisp was picking him up.

They did have a cracking battle though.
Yeah agree. I reckon he was probably on him for the 1st goal when the Crispy turnover caught him out. The next goal he was resting and Magden was on him but he and Crisp tried to punch the ball away but could not. The last goal was a Crispy free kick. Crisp made a few errors but played well. Reckon Darling is as strong as an ox and Moore had a titanic struggle in body to body duels to try to keep him out.

One thing that is clear from Bucks - this team is definitely in flag mode! Have been all year. I'd argue the whole squad and club ever since the GF have a belief they can win it.

If we play to potential and things go our way, we can definitely. (Sat night was not our ceiling by the way)

A win like that against all adversity will only enhance that belief. As I'm sure you all will stay tuned, this has a 1980 feel about it, from 5th (last spot in finals) to GF and maybe a step further this time.

One thing that is clear from Bucks - this team is definitely in flag mode! Have been all year. I'd argue the whole squad and club ever since the GF have a belief they can win it.

If we play to potential and things go our way, we can definitely. (Sat night was not our ceiling by the way)

A win like that against all adversity will only enhance that belief. As I'm sure you all will stay tuned, this has a 1980 feel about it, from 5th (last spot in finals) to GF and maybe a step further this time.
Wish we had Howe and Sidearse.

And of the sides left we’ve pumped 2, tied with 1 and had chances to beat the other 2. We’re in pretty good shape 👍

Always in finals it's about belief . .
Belief in yourself . . .
Belief in your team mate . . .
And . . .
Belief in the team as a whole.
The 22 who strode from the ground with their heads held proud have that now.
It's far from in the bag . . .
But the competition better gird their loins . . .
Because if we play to our potential . . .
WATCH OUT.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back