Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued here ...

"I wouldn't give up a top 10 pick"
"It will probably take a top 5 player from the club or a high draft pick"
"Up to Carlton to get the deal done"

That about sums it up, yeah?

The points are mutually exclusive if considered from a unitary perspective.

That's not what is occurring here:

Carlton hat on: don't want to give up a top 10 pick for a HBF

* hat on: Saad's a top 3 player at *. We want a high pick etc.

Then states that it's up to Carlton to get it done.

Yet again - the value of context.

This is where SOS has lost me.

Do you really think SOS would say "Top 5 player at the club or a high draft pick" if he was the buyer? Hell no. Ex-LM putting undue pressure on his old employer and his successor, and conveniently it works in the favour of a personal friend of his (Dodo) who would surprise nobody should he dangle a contract in from of JSOS. Watch SOS continue to push an agenda that sees Essendon benefit as much as possible from any Saad trade, and watch SOS's son end up getting a lifeline there in the near future.
For a bloke who has spent the last year quelling conspiracy theories on this subject to come out with this comment is interesting to say the least. He is literally just giving a neutral perspective.

Would be a good get if we could get him for 47 he has some nice traits and being able to learn from Eddie would certainly fast track him, it is certainly the right timing for us whether it is for him who knows. With the Rioli situation at WC would they want to lose him now without a clear idea of whether Rioli will return? What’s he like above his head and does he have a leap?
Don’t see WCE wanting to let him go particularly with the Rioli situation still unclear he’s a WA local who would have a strong family and friend network over there, would assume it would be big choice too pack up and leave all of that support net you would imagine... He’s brother did but he apparently had family up in QLD so who knows...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Silvagni: Ultimately I look back and we all agreed that Eddie Betts should come to Carlton, but it was at a price. We all agreed on that but when someone from above decides to change those rules ... our list wasn&#39;t in a good state and neither was our salary cap.</p>&mdash; Garry and Tim (@SENBreakfast) <a href="">October 20, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

How to join two answers from two different questions
Take note this is the way to do it

Is it helpful to the Carlton Football Club? That is the only question I am interested in. Regardless of who is right or wrong.
None of what he said has changed my opinion of the Carlton Football Club, what about you?

The points are mutually exclusive if considered from a unitary perspective.

That's not what is occurring here:

Carlton hat on: don't want to give up a top 10 pick for a HBF

* hat on: Saad's a top 3 player at *. We want a high pick etc.

Then states that it's up to Carlton to get it done.

Yet again - the value of context.

Maybe I'm just being cynical - but it sounds a lot like a nice little set-up for "I wouldn't have paid that much, but the new guy has ended up paying overs".

I'm also suspicious of the timing of this interview and his comments in general. Says it was unfair on his sons that they had to go through the whole season with this feeling of his split from the club being their fault.

a) I don't think anyone was talking about it past the start of the season
b) the players were in hubs and not exposed to doorstopping journos
c) if he'd been told his exit was for other reasons, then he'd have communicated that to his sons and they'd know they weren't to blame
d) if he felt making that information public would help them, then he should have done it at a time when it would have helped them...ie. at the time
e) if making that information public wouldn't help them...why is he doing it now?

I just look at the timing and can't help but think that it's a mighty convenient info dump a week before SOS takes to the airwaves.

Summary..

Some of those are a bit misleading, makes it sound like list wasnt in a good place when Eddie was ocming through, not the case at all, SOS said list wasnt in a good shape in 2015 and he worked hard ot get it in good shape, hence why it was dissapointing to have Eddie come in on more money than agreed.

Listening to Sos sounds like Kade Simpson wanted more money which Sos said wasn’t available and then Liddle gives extra or inflated money to Eddie Betts.
Yep, dissapointing. Poor Kade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a bloke who has spent the last year quelling conspiracy theories on this subject to come out with this comment is interesting to say the least. He is literally just giving a neutral perspective.

Maybe I've misinterpreted it - I'm reading this in between doing actual work, so if the wall of tweets has misrepresented his comments then so be it.

The way it has been presented there, and in the wider context of all the other comments made about the club and the administration, it looked off to me. Bad blood between SOS and the club, then he starts playing up Saad's value while at the same time saying he wouldn't pay that much, but the club might have to in order to close the deal. Add in the fact that he seems to be the only bloke in the world who actually gets on with Dodoro, and I start to think there may be some shenanigans going on.

If SOS is moving into the media, this is the kind of stuff that the big wigs want their people to push. Play sides against each other, create tension, manufacture situations where either you're right, or the target is wrong - or both.

Some of those are a bit misleading, makes it sound like list wasnt in a good place when Eddie was ocming through, not the case at all, SOS said list wasnt in a good shape in 2015 and he worked hard ot get it in good shape, hence why it was dissapointing to have Eddie come in on more money than agreed.

I think he was most concerned that Simmo a loyal servant to CFC who stayed at the club through thick and thin (unlike Eddie) has had to accept less cash than he was promised because the CEO promised Eddie more than the list managment team had agreed.

SOS vindicating why he got the arse. SOS first.. everything else a distant second.
What a ******* sook. Will struggle to work in clubland again..

Edit: using the old 'Liddle isn't a Carlton man' perfectly sums up his archaic attitude. Where have 'Carlton men' got us in the last 20 years? I just want Liddle to be the best man for the job, regardless of where he came from.

Last edited:
I don't think he said the list and cap were in a poor position when we got Betts back. I took it to mean it was in a poor state when he took over, and he was forced to change strategy by bringing in Betts at over the odds, which was against everything they had worked towards.
Oh ok thanks mate, I didn't hear it was just reading those tweets without context and trying to understand what he meant.

Having just listened to the full interview, I think SOS was actually quite refreshing with his comments and besides gunning for Liddle, he didn’t really go hard at the club in other ways. If anyone hasn’t actually listened to the full interview and are just reading the click bait snippets then I recommend a full listen for context.

Key points reading between the lines:

-When SOS came in there was a specific strategy to bank cap space and pay limited amounts to players which is starting to pay dividends now
-Liddle overrode this strategy when it came to Betts with the justification of increasing membership
-Differing priorities of club staff when it came to targets last year (Ellis/Butler etc)
-SOS’s exit handled extremely poorly even if it may have been inevitable/untenable. To blame his kids was not appropriate.
-SOS is still big on Dow and McGovern if they can get their bodies right
-SOS really likes Sam De Koning and thinks GWS should go after him
-Reckon he also put a bit of heat on Papley’s manager for not “conditioning” Sydney early enough for a trade
-Wouldn’t put too much stock on his Saad comments. Sounded like he was just giving his opinion on the situation and how the situation is viewed behind closed doors at both clubs

Call it sour grapes or whatever, and whilst I agree the timing is not great, I genuinely believe that SOS loves the club and his intention is to put heat on Liddle. He must genuinely believe that he is no good for the club moving forward and listening to some of his statements I tend to agree.

To all those abusing SOS (beyond a clip at the timing of his comments), just remember how much he gave for the club onfield, remember he resurrected the club in 2015, remember if it wasn’t for him we’d have that spud Brandon Ellis on our list being paid handsomely instead of Martin. Appreciate his efforts because it’s thanks to him we are in a position to be able to attract quality players this year (and last year).

Not quite what he said

So where do you see that as being unreasonable, not giving up a top 10 pick?

It was the comments back to back - i wouldn't give up a top 10 pick, it'll probably take a top 5 player from the club or a high draft pick, up to Carlton to do the deal now.

It read, to me, like setting up a scenario where if the club overpays then SOS can play the "I wouldn't have paid that much, the new guy has been bent over", especially given SOS doesn't appear to have said what he would pay...just what he wouldn't. Does Pick 11 get his seal of approval, or is that still overs. Would he be driving for 27, and if so why wouldn't he provide some context around why he think that would be a suitable price?

Having just listened to the full interview, I think SOS was actually quite refreshing with his comments and besides gunning for Liddle, he didn’t really go hard at the club in other ways. If anyone hasn’t actually listened to the full interview and are just reading the click bait snippets then I recommend a full listen for context.

Key points reading between the lines:

-When SOS came in there was a specific strategy to bank cap space and pay limited amounts to players which is starting to pay dividends now
-Liddle overrode this strategy when it came to Betts with the justification of increasing membership
-Differing priorities of club staff when it came to targets last year (Ellis/Butler etc)
-SOS’s exit handled extremely poorly even if it may have been inevitable/untenable. To blame his kids was not appropriate.
-SOS is still big on Dow and McGovern if they can get their bodies right
-SOS really likes Sam De Koning and thinks GWS should go after him
-Reckon he also put a bit of heat on Papley’s manager for not “conditioning” Sydney early enough for a trade
-Wouldn’t put too much stock on his Saad comments. Sounded like he was just giving his opinion on the situation and how the situation is viewed behind closed doors at both clubs

Call it sour grapes or whatever, and whilst I agree the timing is not great, I genuinely believe that SOS loves the club and his intention is to put heat on Liddle. He must genuinely believe that he is no good for the club moving forward and listening to some of his statements I tend to agree.

To all those abusing SOS (beyond a clip at the timing of his comments), just remember how much he gave for the club onfield, remember he resurrected the club in 2015, remember if it wasn’t for him we’d have that spud Brandon Ellis on our list being paid handsomely instead of Martin. Appreciate his efforts because it’s thanks to him we are in a position to be able to attract quality players this year (and last year).

:clapping:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back