News Orazio Fantasia departs for Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems like a big confidence player, a lot of those guys with flair often are. Now that he's back home, out of that physical and mental shithole that is Essendon, surrounded by friends and family and playing in front of the best crowd in the AFL, I think he'll absolutely relish that environment. The Motlop finger twirl, the Duursma arrow, the Butters crazy face and Fantasia's face in general are going to annoy the s**t out of so many opposition supporters and I can't wait for it.

im very positive about our drafting and I think it has covered some other sins.

Trading in terms of clever pick swaps have been great in the past but we haven’t done anything like that yet and even if we’re waiting to draft day now a bunch of clubs have earlier expendable picks so I don’t see much interest in ours and we’re down to very little in hand for next year

I think the Alir trade was pretty good. I thought Sydney would be asking for more than that and while I wouldn’t say it’s a bargain it’s a pretty astute and decent price for us.

the Fantasia trade was pretty poor imo and relies on everything going right (Fantasia staying injury free, finding good form, and working in our forward setup and ground which is nothing like what he’s seen before) that’s a lot of what ifs.

if we only got one of Alir and Fantasia than we probably would have been alright. Even if neither worked out we wouldn’t have burnt a lot trying it.

my concern is we are going shallow as hell in this draft, probably taking just jones and some rookie level players and next year we again will be trapped into a weak hand cause of a lack of picks.
I personally would have done the Alir trade, skipped on Fantasia or had a 3rd up for him, and let him ride to free agency if not and put picks 29 and 35 on the table for future picks and gone into the offseason with jones, Alir, and 2021 picks 1st round , 2nd round (traded in) 3rd round and another 3rd (traded in for 35) knowing that we’re pretty set up to strengthen our list in 2021.
In that scenario we would have strengthened a weakness, have very little downside in cost and have a good hand for next years draft. Very very low risk.

Having said that it’s done now hopefully Fantasia is fit and firing and Parker pulls off some draft miracles in the next two drafts.
I agree, there is a degree of risk associated with Fanta. But it is also the old Risk v Reward analogy. The guys on Fox summed it up well IMO. They likened Port to Richmond, with a settled side that is in the premiership group of clubs - We can afford to take risks. Taking a risk on Fantasia if he plays to potential, has huge upside as it immediately fills a need up forward & strengthens our midfield, as we can put the class of Rozee & Butters there more. If he fails, we dont really lose much. We still get AA & Jones in, and have strengthened an already premiership-quality side.

Conversely, using the picks we gave for him on a new draftee does nothing for us in 2021/22. We have a raft of developing young players that are showing huge potential & will look to go on with it in 2021.

Grief! Its not as if we have done a Geelong, & sold the farm for a Premiership next year or bust!

My experience at marvel a couple of yrs ago moved Essendon into equal 2nd hated club with Collingwood. Bunch of ******* arrogant pricks who have nothing to be arrogant about.
They booed paddy all night I don't mind supporters booing ex players but after what they did to him with drug saga left a bad taste in my mouth.
Ahh yes I was at this game too. I was giving s**t to the Bombers team all game and this ******* idiot old woman a couple rows ahead of me goes “you ought to be respectful you’re in the Bombers members section”.
Unfortunately 14 year old Fizzler didn’t realise there isn’t a members “section” and I was sitting in a general admission seat. Furthermore they probably should’ve been showing Paddy respect but I didn’t have that thought to say it at the time. Given we got smashed that game it just wasn’t a good experience, so in conclusion * the bombers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We do have a Orazio Fantasia Thread LOL

Oh, I see you are going to Club boards posting player highlights ... what the .....

Ahh yes I was at this game too. I was giving sh*t to the Bombers team all game and this ******* idiot old woman a couple rows ahead of me goes “you ought to be respectful you’re in the Bombers members section”.
Unfortunately 14 year old Fizzler didn’t realise there isn’t a members “section” and I was sitting in a general admission seat. Furthermore they probably should’ve been showing Paddy respect but I didn’t have that thought to say it at the time. Given we got smashed that game it just wasn’t a good experience, so in conclusion fu** the bombers.
I had a similar experience once at Unley an old lady told a 12 yr old donkey to be quiet and we were being slaughtered and I continued my tirade. Then she beat me up with her umbrella.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back