Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

Jacks kicking with his right has improved a ton since being drafted, and is 1 of the better kicks in our team IMO.
Having said that Finlay's kicking with both feet is on another level. Very Sam Mitchell'esque with how comfortable he is kicking on both sides combined with his elite vision and evasiveness.

I can't believe Finlay slipped to pick 19 tbh. I watched every Oakleigh game last year (as I was obsessively following Jamarra) and Finlay was clearly a better player than Will Phillips IMHO. It's just that Phillips got a lot more midfield time than Finlay so he was able to show off his talent more. This year with Rowell and Anderson gone, Finlay would have finally been able to show off his abilities as a full time midfielder at Oakleigh and I have no doubt his stock would have skyrocketed up to a top 5-10 pick.

I think in 5 years time you guys will be thankful that he wasn't able to play any games this year and show off his talent as a midfielder.

Also don't be surprised if he adds a couple more cm to his height. Jack was drafted at a similar height (187cm), then had a massive late growth spurt and shot up to 191cm a year or 2 after being drafted.
Cheers mate

I think this kid is an excellent selection.

Tremendous advantage for a mid to be dual sided with good skills, any perceived lack of leg speed doesn't bother me if he has that footy nous.

Macrae represents the best chance of any of the new draftees having a long, successful career with us IMO.

Jacks kicking with his right has improved a ton since being drafted, and is 1 of the better kicks in our team IMO.
Having said that Finlay's kicking with both feet is on another level. Very Sam Mitchell'esque with how comfortable he is kicking on both sides combined with his elite vision and evasiveness.

I can't believe Finlay slipped to pick 19 tbh. I watched every Oakleigh game last year (as I was obsessively following Jamarra) and Finlay was clearly a better player than Will Phillips IMHO. It's just that Phillips got a lot more midfield time than Finlay so he was able to show off his talent more. This year with Rowell and Anderson gone, Finlay would have finally been able to show off his abilities as a full time midfielder at Oakleigh and I have no doubt his stock would have skyrocketed up to a top 5-10 pick.

I think in 5 years time you guys will be thankful that he wasn't able to play any games this year and show off his talent as a midfielder.

Also don't be surprised if he adds a couple more cm to his height. Jack was drafted at a similar height (187cm), then had a massive late growth spurt and shot up to 191cm a year or 2 after being drafted.

J Macrae doesn't hit targets. Too often he hits them skinny or does that silly looking chip kick. His kicking is a myth.

Tremendous advantage for a mid to be dual sided with good skills, any perceived lack of leg speed doesn't bother me if he has that footy nous.
Might end up wearing 22 in a few years.

This was the pick I was most excited about. Genuinely thought the Crows would grab him at 10, and was stoked he slipped through to us. Was tearing my hair out that we selected Henry before him tbh, but it worked out well.

He’s one that I thought really stood out on his pre-draft vids, just looked like a chain-mover, creative, overlapping run player with good skills, awareness and movement through traffic. Clearly has all sorts of tools, and the type of player who you wouldn’t be concerned about having a slower 20m sprint time because he’s constantly on the move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macrae and Henry were both in the discussions for back end of people's top 10's going into the draft. To land both before a bid came for McInnes when we only had pick's 14 & 16 (before bid matching) was phenomenal. Very happy.

Another one who was rated pretty highly by a few in the know (I didn't think he would get to us) and like Henry seems a great get at 19.

As Dekka said if he can turn out to be half the player his brother is we will have done very well. I did notice from his highlights that he looks to have that stooped looping run like Jackson so we can only hope he accumulates and distributes like him on the outside too.

From the interviews post draft he seems like a good respectful kid and he speaks well. Although did anyone else think the video'd phone call with Bucks was super awkward and just dragged on a little long? Lol

Either way welcome to the might Black and White family Finlay.

This is a bluechip investment, no chance he doesn't end up at least a good midfielder, and hopefully develops into a star
Great work rate, neat skills and agility. Seems more inside than his big bro.

Has 200 games written all over him.

Why do I feel like I've just entered the Twilight Zone?:laughv1:

I’m going early, but you’re looking at your 2021 Nab Rising Star.
I think I’ll keep my money on Matt Rowell tbh.

I think I’ll keep my money on Matt Rowell tbh.

Wait, can be still win it??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back