Miscellaneous Sports 2021 off-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Team

After a good suggestion, we’ve decided to move all non-AFL threads to the old and dusty “Purple Horde” sub thread. The hope is it has the following effects
A) Keeps them easily available but still out of sight
B) Encourages the use of the sub-forums like they are meant to be used for and brings a bit more organisation to the forum
C) While I love how passionate everyone is on the topics and that there is terrific debate on the topics, moderating the politics thread can get... tiresome. I’ll be letting things go a bit more, however personal attacks will not be tolerated and I encourage you to report them in any shape or form.

As usual, reach out to BeinPurplenGreen, myself and Tonga Bob to discuss anything as needed. Thanks for making the forum what it is.

Last edited:
The depressing part is that the next guy probably isn't any better. Pucovski and Green were the only two piling it on in the shield and haven't already been shown up at test level (Marsh is probably better but is also ancient).

Agreed that Stonis and Marsh probably feel like Ground Hog day again, even though I think they are both better options than Wade. No shield cricket for ages so who knows who is in form in the red ball game, but wouldn't it be exciting to try someone new like Philippe whilst he is confident.

It will depend on his Shield start next spring, but considering next summer is the Ashes if SMarsh is still in great Shield form it would be ridiculous to ignore him just because of his age.
I think there is enough evidence from his many forays into test cricket to think he probably isn't going to tear it apart despite being in good shield form lately. Combine that with age it's a hard sell I think.

That said, if nobody else can hit it off the square I don't see why not. He or Khawaja are probably the two best long form bats outside the team as it stands (at least in Australia).

Agreed that Stonis and Marsh probably feel like Ground Hog day again, even though I think they are both better options than Wade. No shield cricket for ages so who knows who is in form in the red ball game, but wouldn't it be exciting to try someone new like Philippe whilst he is confident.
Can't see Philippe playing as anything other than a keeper. His shield record is nowhere near getting picked as a pure bat.

Not sure I agree that Stoinis is better than wade in the creams either. Wade had considerable shield form to warrant his selection in the first place. Stoinis has never really done anything of note with the bat there. For example, Cameron Green already has more first class hundreds than him.

The Australians are weak. India B deserves to retain the trophy hands down. I hope they do it by winning the series because Australia doesn’t deserve either.

Nah. India deserve whatever result they get.

If they win or draw despite serious injury it's a pretty impressive squad effort.

But if they lose tomorrow they have no right to complain; they ****ed the only game they had a full strength starting team for and lost so many players to injury I don't think it's reasonable to just call it bad luck.

Last edited:
Australia should have declared earlier. With the weather today and tomorrow there isn't enough time to bowl India out.

Phillipe will need to make some shield runs first, dude cant see to convert his Big Bash form to the longer formats at this stage. Hoping Whiteman and Renshaw can continue to make some runs in the 2nd half of the shield personally

Phillipe will need to make some shield runs first, dude cant see to convert his Big Bash form to the longer formats at this stage. Hoping Whiteman and Renshaw can continue to make some runs in the 2nd half of the shield personally

We can certainly do with some players scoring runs in the opening position at the moment.

Adelaide AFLW player Ebony Marinoff to the tribunal. Forceful front contact with careless conduct, severe impact and high contact.

The player she hit (Brid Stack) is in hospital with a stable fracture of the C7 vertabrae and no nerve or spinal damage , and is expected to make a full recovery.

Question for those who don’t hate cricket, Hazlewood & Cummins are our 2 best quicks by a mile, particularly this series.

Why the * are we opening up with Starc?? Surely we want opening bowlers who are testing the the oppositions top 3 with every ball?

Australia should have declared earlier. With the weather today and tomorrow there isn't enough time to bowl India out.
I would be worried that giving them a whole day and only needing 2 runs an over to win would be giving them the series

Question for those who don’t hate cricket, Hazlewood & Cummins are our 2 best quicks by a mile, particularly this series.

Why the fu** are we opening up with Starc?? Surely we want opening bowlers who are testing the the oppositions top 3 with every ball?
Starc needs the swing to be effective. Cummins can make it move off the pitch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why the fu** are we opening up with Starc?? Surely we want opening bowlers who are testing the the oppositions top 3 with every ball?

I agree that Starc's been below par this series. But he's a new ball bowler, so has to be given the cherry. He actually has a terrific record of getting the openers, although more so in white ball than red ball cricket.

Starc needs the swing to be effective. Cummins can make it move off the pitch
Well Starc better find a new way to take wickets because he hasn’t swung a ball since the night test & without saliva there’s no reverse swing anymore. Cummins with a new ball & raised seem will have them playing every ball.

I agree that Starc's been below par this series. But he's a new ball bowler, so has to be given the cherry. He actually has a terrific record of getting the openers, although more so in white ball than red ball cricket.
Absolutely, but batsman are looking to score runs in one dayers which helps his cause. I agree with both your responses but in this case Cummins should have opened up, particularly with weather closing in.

I would be worried that giving them a whole day and only needing 2 runs an over to win would be giving them the series
India leave Australia with the Border-Gavaskar Trophy with either a win or draw. Australia need to win. If Australia batted out time for a draw because they feared a loss then their priorities are wrong.

The sooner Jhye Richardson can get back to playing FC cricket the sooner he can take his place alongside Cummins and Hazlewood.

Wish Gill was Australian. Ridiculous talent.

Going early, he'll average more than Smith.

He's good isn't he. These injuries and Kohli going home have been a disguised blessing for India. They've blooded some impressive talent and they now know they have more depth than anyone.

I’d love to know the selection criteria for the 4 NSW bowlers. Do they pick themselves? Do they just ask them over a beer if they’re good to go again?They look tired and sore. Going into this match taking 20 wickets was the one and only non-negotiable yet here we are on day 5 on a quick bowlers’ wicket and India are digging in yet again.
Pattinson, Nesser, Richardson are all better than Mitchell Starc.

I’d love to know the selection criteria for the 4 NSW bowlers. Do they pick themselves? Do they just ask them over a beer if they’re good to go again?They look tired and sore. Going into this match taking 20 wickets was the one and only non-negotiable yet here we are on day 5 on a quick bowlers’ wicket and India are digging in yet again.
Pattinson, Nesser, Richardson are all better than Mitchell Starc.
I'm not a huge Starc fan but at his best he is our 2nd best 4th innings bowler (Cummins is best every innings) and is also the only leftie. Being injured isn't helping and not sure any of those blokes offer any more on this track.

Not against replacing him for SA though. Richardson my preferred but could also live with the other two. Pattinson's best is unreal but like Starc is prone to bowling rubbish in between his best.

The problem this series is more Lyon's complete ineffectiveness. Swap Lyon for Ashwin and we win this series comfortably.

I'm not a huge Starc fan but at his best he is our 2nd best 4th innings bowler (Cummins is best every innings) and is also the only leftie. Being injured isn't helping and not sure any of those blokes offer any more on this track.

Not against replacing him for SA though. Richardson my preferred but could also live with the other two. Pattinson's best is unreal but like Starc is prone to bowling rubbish in between his best.

The problem this series is more Lyon's complete ineffectiveness. Swap Lyon for Ashwin and we win this series comfortably.
My main knock on Starc is the gap between his best and his worst. He’s always been mercurial and when he’s off he doesn’t build any pressure on the opposition.
My issue around the bowlers picking themselves is that once you’re 400 plus overs into a condensed test series you really are expecting a lot from your quicks to keep back up. A cherry ripe fresh James Pattinson playing for his test future would be a daunting prospect today.
I supported Lyon on this thread about a week ago but he’s been as underwhelming as I’ve ever seen him in the past two tests. Although as I’ve been writing this I see he has just dismissed Gill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back