Play Nice Society, Religion & Politics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Racism is ugly. It hurts and demeans even the strongest people, let alone the weak. It is everywhere. I have been guilty of it growing up because that is what I was taught/experienced. It is ingrained in society. All of us have been exposed to some degree. We all need to look at ourselves and improve. It will take generation's to go away. Things are better now than when I was growing up.
I remember a trip away at year 11. We were playing cards. There was a Torres Strait Islander guy playing with us. One of my mates. Guys came into our room wearing hooded masks like the KKK. He was really scared. He was really tough though and beat all of them up. We just stood and watched. The guys in the hoods thought it was a joke. They meant no harm.
They did not know what they were doing nor the harm they were inflicting.
Its just a reflection of the culture of the time. I remember as kids on a representative camp in our cabin hearing one kid tell Aboriginal jokes without a break for nearly an hour non stop. We're not there yet as a society, getting much better, but I am quite concerned by cancel culture now though which is as bad if not insidiously worse than stupid people telling racist jokes.

Its just a reflection of the culture of the time. I remember as kids on a representative camp in our cabin hearing one kid tell Aboriginal jokes without a break for nearly an hour non stop. We're not there yet as a society, getting much better, but I am quite concerned by cancel culture now though which is as bad if not insidiously worse than stupid people telling racist jokes.
I must admit I had to google the term "Cancel Culture" as I'd not heard that term before, what a horrible, horrible thing! Will we ever get a world where people just get on with life and with each other and not have the need to feel superior to everyone else?
I guess not, unfortunately it's not human nature 😟

I must admit I had to google the term "Cancel Culture" as I'd not heard that term before, what a horrible, horrible thing! Will we ever get a world where people just get on with life and with each other and not have the need to feel superior to everyone else?
I guess not, unfortunately it's not human nature 😟

Just stay off Twitter and you'll be right Jewelsy. That is where the bulk of the bullying disguised as a moral crusade and revelling in other people's mistakes instead of having productive discussions cancel culture exists.

Just stay off Twitter and you'll be right Jewelsy. That is where the bulk of the bullying disguised as a moral crusade and revelling in other people's mistakes instead of having productive discussions cancel culture exists.

I wish more people realized that Twitter/Facebook are not the real world.

Cancel culture, such a lovely euphemism. Completely palms off the responsibility for one's actions onto others.
Agree, wrecking someone's income to provide for their family seeing their children suffer seems hardly appropriate to call it cancel culture, there should be a much more harsh title for that disgusting behaviour.

I guess not, unfortunately it's not human nature
I am an old lefty but that is weird.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree, wrecking someone's income to provide for their family seeing their children suffer seems hardly appropriate to call it cancel culture, there should be a much more harsh title for that disgusting behaviour.

Sucks for bigots I guess. You holding a vigil for Eddie after the cancel culture mob got to him?

Nah, vigil for kids targeted by fascist lunatics.
Fair point, there have been plenty of anti-racism and LGBTQI+ folk doxxed by hardline right wingers over the last few years for just existing as opposed to, you know, posting bigoted s**t. Good to see you're onboard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, vigil for kids targeted by fascist lunatics.

With all due respect I think that this is a very tone-deaf perspective to look at Eddie's departure. Eddie was making six/seven figures for every one of his 22 years in the job. Most people (who, btw, aren't egotistical or ignorant either) don't see that kind of money for one year, let alone 22. And that includes their children. Some of those people might even be more suited to the job that Eddie had, but they'll never know because Eddie had a strong-hold on the position, and his children and family benefitted from that.

This is not to dismiss what must be a confusing time for his kids. I'm sure he's a great father and maybe even a nice bloke, they seem to have a good relationship with their dad. They're now seeing him being vilified in the media and branded all kinds of labels. I definitely feel for them. But there are kids and families out there who are doing it a thousand times tougher than the McGuires right now.

And btw, the person who should've been thinking about those kids more was Eddie himself, every time he opened his stupid mouth and said stupid s**t in the public domain. Actions have consequences.

I'm sure he's a great father and maybe even a nice bloke,
Eddie McGuire has all the trademarks of a sociopath. Sociopaths have limited to no love to give to anyone not even their children.

And btw, the person who should've been thinking about those kids more was Eddie himself, every time he opened his stupid mouth and said stupid sh*t in the public domain. Actions have consequences.
Exactly. but as a sociopath, he wouldn't be thinking of anyone but himself and will continually say stupid sh*t because he doesn't understand its wrong.

I vote for this board to follow the Swans lead (as Paps described in his last interview) and stop talking about E. McGuire. He is out of footy now and for the first time its easy to pretend he doesn't exist.

Fair point, there have been plenty of anti-racism and LGBTQI+ folk doxxed by hardline right wingers over the last few years for just existing as opposed to, you know, posting bigoted sh*t. Good to see you're onboard.
The intolerant in the vast majority of social media and mainstream media are leftward learning intolerant ideologues who silence opposing ideas "tolerantly".

With all due respect I think that this is a very tone-deaf perspective to look at Eddie's departure. Eddie was making six/seven figures for every one of his 22 years in the job. Most people (who, btw, aren't egotistical or ignorant either) don't see that kind of money for one year, let alone 22. And that includes their children. Some of those people might even be more suited to the job that Eddie had, but they'll never know because Eddie had a strong-hold on the position, and his children and family benefitted from that.

This is not to dismiss what must be a confusing time for his kids. I'm sure he's a great father and maybe even a nice bloke, they seem to have a good relationship with their dad. They're now seeing him being vilified in the media and branded all kinds of labels. I definitely feel for them. But there are kids and families out there who are doing it a thousand times tougher than the McGuires right now.

And btw, the person who should've been thinking about those kids more was Eddie himself, every time he opened his stupid mouth and said stupid sh*t in the public domain. Actions have consequences.
He didn't get 1 cent for being President , he earned his money by hard work in his field ! Do you begrudge Pridham for being rich . Some people need to take footy out of their thoughts ffs ! How do you know about kids !

Wasn't referring specifically to his kids but the wider cancel culture phenomena. I don't care about tone deafness either, it plays into unreasonable territory seeking to placate people who are completely intolerant of views that differ to theirs. Citing tone deafness is one method of furthering cancel culture.

Wasn't referring specifically to his kids but the wider cancel culture phenomena. I don't care about tone deafness either, it plays into unreasonable territory seeking to placate people who are completely intolerant of views that differ to theirs. Citing tone deafness is one method of furthering cancel culture.

I can't stand cancel culture and think all people should be given opportunities to atone for their mistakes without being labelled anything or banished from their roles. But how many mistakes does one have to make before they're shown the door and someone else is given an opportunity?

He didn't get 1 cent for being President , he earned his money by hard work in his field ! Do you begrudge Pridham for being rich . Some people need to take footy out of their thoughts ffs ! How do you know about kids !

Never said he didn't earn his money, and never said I begrudge him for having money.

I can't stand cancel culture and think all people should be given opportunities to atone for their mistakes without being labelled anything or banished from their roles. But how many mistakes does one have to make before they're shown the door and someone else is given an opportunity?
I am with you on macguire and even dismissal for actual misconduct, just not permanent pile on and cancellation forever. Last few days have seen Justin Timberlake attacked, Peter Hellier attacked, even most of the report that showed "systemic racism" harkened back with few examples and many pre 2000. Society on the whole was wrong at that time not just the actions of a few, they were a product of their culture of the day is my thinking.

The next frontier is "critical race theory", makes cancel culture positively affable.

The intolerant in the vast majority of social media and mainstream media are leftward learning intolerant ideologues who silence opposing ideas "tolerantly".
I'll need a citation on the majority of mainstream media being left leaning.

Awful that opposing ideas are being silenced. Can you give a few links showing which ideas these are?

It is in fact the right who are far more intolerant. See Hitler, Moussolini, Franco, USA, Stalin (it may surprise you to know Joe was not a Leftie he was a totalitarian which is right of the political spectre), Putin (See Joe), Peron, The Generals in Argentina (all trained by ex NAZIs, Pinoche in Chile. All right not left. Chevez was left and a very good leader but after his death the US government placed crippling sanctions on his government to the point people were starving. Those sanctions still apply. Just because they are a leftist government and took back their oil fields. You still think Obama is a good guy. What a joke.

I am with you on macguire and even dismissal for actual misconduct, just not permanent pile on and cancellation forever. Last few days have seen Justin Timberlake attacked, Peter Hellier attacked, even most of the report that showed "systemic racism" harkened back with few examples and many pre 2000. Society on the whole was wrong at that time not just the actions of a few, they were a product of their culture of the day is my thinking.

The next frontier is "critical race theory", makes cancel culture positively affable.
No they were not just a few examples. Tony Armstrong recounts being treated very differently at Collingwood. Labumba and others, one who has just retired gave evidence of racist stuff said to them by the player group, the coaches and officials. So to say they have put this to bed is just niave. An organisation that does not handle this stuff swiftly risks the behaviour becoming ingrained and not changeable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back